Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 169468 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1350 on: October 16, 2011, 05:02:27 am »
I spent the last day and a half in the hospital after my heart gave out on Friday afternoon.  Now I'm stuck with (yet another) stupid heart monitor that I have to wear all the time and record everything I'm doing every half hour.

Why does my life feel like some cruel cosmic joke?  "Well hey cool you survived X, Y, and Z and everyone's surprised you're still alive, so here are some heart problems to trip you up!"

I was feeling better.  I thought I was getting better, but I suppose I am not.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1351 on: October 16, 2011, 07:43:36 am »
7. I have realized I really can't hate other people, or I just haven't met the type of person that can piss me off without trying.
HEWWO, THAR!

I spent the last day and a half in the hospital after my heart gave out on Friday afternoon.  Now I'm stuck with (yet another) stupid heart monitor that I have to wear all the time and record everything I'm doing every half hour.
Hey, hang in there, Saj! We don't want to lose you. Is Dee there? What does the doc say?

And look, don't strain yourself too much. Right now, it's your recovery that's important. Hang in there.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:46:21 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 18, 2011, 06:09:31 am »
I am surprised, Josh, it isn't like you to make such a gross error. If you reread my post, you will note that I was referring to specific Christian denominations. Perhaps an example might help you: a Presbyterian who doesn't believe in an Age of Accountability is like a Calvinist who does not believe in predestination. This isn't a matter of if they represent my Christianity or not, it is a matter of if they fit their Christianity or not. I can say that a Presbyterian who doesn't believe in an Age of Accountability is in apostacy because they are specifically holding to a theological position that is in direct opposition to Presbyterian doctrine.

In short, Josh, you have mistaken what is essentially a factual statement for a moral statement.

That said, despite this error, you approach a semblance of a useful statement in that, indeed, it is reprehensible for anyone to distance themselves from barbarianism while not attempting to address it. Part of what allows such barbarism to persist is the binary option that many Christians find themselves in. Either they have to be horrible people and accept barbaric traditions, or they have to be "horrible people" and reject religion (please do note the use of quotes in the latter instance). Revealing other options (many of which are already there in Christian dogma) allows for a more tolerable exit from such "saxonery" for those who find both original options unthinkable.

EDIT: I suppose I should note, for the sake of clarity, that there are a number of Presbyterian denominations as well. To my knowledge, all officially hold to an Age of Accountability, but I am not positive on that.

I've been meaning to get back to you on this but I have had a case of writer's block lately that has stifled many of my efforts cold in their tracks, this among them. Here's the shorter version of what I would have said:

I erred by not more clearly connecting my discussion of the overall religion to your discussion of denominational segments of it, but my key point--and quite valid conceptually, albeit not an exclusive factual position--is that the validity of one's membership in a religion (or in a denomination thereof) is not based upon intellectual consistency and thorough adherence to doctrine, but, rather, by the usual factors of cultural cohesion.

This really is a fascinating line of discussion, which is perhaps why I had such trouble addressing it. Maybe we can bring it up again at some point.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 18, 2011, 02:23:30 pm »
You'll have to expand on that point when you have the energy and inclination, since as it stands it seems rather contradictory: the usual factors of cultural cohesion are, to a significant extent, intellectual consistency and adherence to a central doctrine. Anywho, I await your leisure for further explanation.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1354 on: October 20, 2011, 05:05:29 pm »
A lot of people complain that real life isn't "interesting enough" like it is in fiction. Nonsense! You're already living in the most interesting work of art called "Reality"; you just don't find it interesting because you're experiencing it in first person, just as Sherlock Holmes finds his life utterly boring. You might be a fan of Sydney Sheldon, but when you actually go through the horrors within that text it's suddenly a nightmare. But it takes an eye like mine to figure out the expanse of mystery and intrigue our world is surrounded by. Fiction is simply a drop of water from the limitless ocean called Reality.

And indeed, sometimes that sucks. For instance, what happened with Snape in Harry Potter also happened with me. Three times. The greatest pain is that of a broken heart. Bahh, I'm an infidel! What do I care...

But my point is that just because a story doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it isn't good enough. Some anime fans can never appreciate the genius of Tolstoy, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough. If an idea seems bad then you're probably looking at it from a wrong angle, because at the hands of a skilled writer even a man's battle against his shoelace would make a masterpiece of a novella.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:10:31 pm by tushantin »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
Double post, idgaf, I'm angry and in pain.  Never mind.  I promised myself I wouldn't reply to any more of tushantin's posts, so I deleted my last post.

I have psychosomatic pain (and it's a real thing, so please don't tell me "well it isn't really real" or whatever), and I have no idea how to stop it.  It hurts so badly, and upon looking up ways to help, I found nothing but holistic and feel-good New Age bullshit.  Oh, and therapy.  Which I can't afford.

In tremendous amounts of pain.  No realistic way to get rid of it.  Cannot sleep.  Have to be up early.  Do not want to ruin D's night by being grumpy and miserable because of pain and lack of sleep.

It sounds like I'm whining but this really fucking sucks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:31:25 am by Sajainta »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2011, 11:55:22 am »
Double post, idgaf, I'm angry and in pain.  Never mind.  I promised myself I wouldn't reply to any more of tushantin's posts, so I deleted my last post.
Um... Sorry...  :cry:

Also, for "The greatest pain is that of a broken heart" thing, I was just being poetic there, but it really does hurt.

Psychosomatic Pain is a real thing, but unfortunately I've no idea how to cure it, although therapy indeed is the best way to get rid of it. Hmm, Psychosomatic... *looks up* Any idea what caused it?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
Any idea what caused it?

Abuse, so therapy would probably be the best option.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »
Saj -- some therapists work pro bono, don't they? Would that be an option? My mom has anxiety issues and when we couldn't afford therapy, she managed to get counseling via a nonprofit (and free medication in the form of samples).

I don't mean to be overly helpful. I'm sure you're doing all you can. I just figured I'd mention it in case the information was something you could use.

In other news, I LOVE Hallowe'en and am very excited about my costume, but the women's costume section irritates the hell out of me. Basically, they take all the male costumes and sexify them. Zorro->Sexy Lady Zorro! Pirate->Sexy Lady Pirate! Doctor->Sexy Nurse! Augh! Fuck you, America.

Also, unrelatedly, I wish I could use a goddamn sewing machine better. For someone who loves costumes as much as I do, that would be a useful skill.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1359 on: October 23, 2011, 08:33:33 am »
Also, unrelatedly, I wish I could use a goddamn sewing machine better. For someone who loves costumes as much as I do, that would be a useful skill.
Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt!

Dang, I never experienced Halloween before. I'd probably wear a broom. On my head. And call myself the Broom Monster. Who sweeps the floor with people. And likes candy.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1360 on: October 24, 2011, 05:34:12 am »
Syna, a friend of mine recently circulated a link to this costume site: http://takebackhalloween.org/

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 24, 2011, 12:00:49 pm »
RD, that site is awesome! :D

"To heck with princesses. Be a queen." Exactly my philosophy.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1362 on: October 24, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »
"To heck with princesses. Be a queen." Exactly my philosophy.
Boudicca, Himiko, or Xi Wang Mu? XD

It's almost the same as Ashley once told me, "When all the girls in my school dreamt of being princesses, I desired to become a President."

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 25, 2011, 06:58:57 am »
Dear "friends",

I am so happy to know that the colour of a friend's freshly-painted apartment is more important than my cry for help, rapid descent into complete despair and hopelessness, and increasingly serious thoughts of suicide.

Fuck you.

- Saj

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1364 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:04 am »
*tosses stink bombs and paint balloons at Saj's "friends"*

Yeah, and you can keep your stinkin' Teflon paints, dear "friends"!