Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 337304 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2085 on: December 12, 2009, 02:32:48 am »
And the piano is the most versatile instrument in the history of humankind.
LIES.
mia plays double bass. its a giant cello, i guess. she has told me that one of her strings is about the same as two or three saxaphones or more. i would have to say that the string family in general is the most versatile instrument. as well as the most complicated.

speaking of, have i mentioned that i love her? she came over to my house and we hid in my fort and she played some nice music. it was awesome. shes interested in being a music teacher.
i can bake with music!
except souffle.
keep your double bass away from my souffle.

Mia should TOTALLY start a psychobilly band! They're the only genre that still really uses the stand-up bass, which I just found out is commonly known as a double bass (like last week, not just now), which makes NO sense to me because double bass is when there are two kicks in a drum kit. It is what it is, though.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:07 am »
Now that it's Channukah I demand a steady supply of doughnuts and fried latkes. Perhaps I will go buy a vaunted Top Pot Raspberry Bismark a little later this morning. As, a Bismark: Now there's a good, Jewish name...

What's this? Why is Captain Secular even talking about a religious holiday commemorating improbable miracles? Well, I could take the cheap way out and claim that I just like the presents, food, and song...which would be true! But I also enjoy the "holiday season" atmosphere around this time of year. There are so many goodies. You get an appetizer with Halloween, and then a parade of cheer with Thanksgiving, Channukah, Winter Solstice, Christmas, and New Year. (I've never actually commemorated Kwanzaa or seen anyone else commemorate it, either, but add it to the list if you like!) It's a time of the year when cities glow bright on long nights, the skies open up with their precious water, white winds blow, and people pay just a little more attention to the world thanks to the edginess of the chill in the air. My hope is that someday we'll decide as a people to have this "holiday spirit" all year long. (Of course, if that were to happen, then the holiday season would become even better...so...double win?)

Obviously it's not about the religion for me. I do know the story of the Maccabees, and of all the other holidays I mentioned. I am a firm proponent of the "de-sacramentation" of holidays, purifying and elevating their other qualities for modern enjoyment. Hence the Raspberry Bismark rather than Shacharit.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: December 12, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »
yeah, im not a holiday kind of guy, but the extra hours bakiing and such is good for me. and the people are nicer and all that.
i just hate working retail during this season.
good news though: im going to get paid over time tomorrow!

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2088 on: December 12, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »
Love the post, J. I've run across many a grinchy Grinch in the past few days, myself, and while I can appreciate the stresses that the holiday season brings on people, the self-defeating attitude of Bah Humbugism isn't helping anyone.

Then of course, there are people like Bucky who selflessly devote themselves to the higher calling of holiday retail work. Your kind deserves a memorial of equal magnanimity to the Vietnam Wall.

"I survived the battle of An Loc."

"I survived working Black Friday at Target!"

"...Point taken."

If you ever need to get into the holiday spirit, I recommend "A Christmas Carol: The Musical," from 2004. The all-star casting of Kelsey Grammar, Jason Alexander, Jane Krankowski, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jesse L. Martin, plus the excellent musical score is enough to cheer up even the most ardent Scrooge.

Anyway, now to why I came here in the first place; This little bit from the newest Penny Arcade blog:

The Child's Play total, as of yesterday, stands at $1,302,367. The dinner was almost shockingly productive, as were the lists, but our task is not yet complete. This year, more than other years, it's crucial that we obliterate last year's total - a sum which taunts us from its lofty perch, crowing at $1,434,377. This amount is our enemy; an index of our old selves, without the benefit of a year's spiritual growth. This year, when conventional wisdom expects less charity, let us deny that thesis and its cynical comforts. Let us, instead, be better than we have ever been before.

Springtime of Youth anyone?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2089 on: December 12, 2009, 06:04:41 pm »
I love RPG Maker. I've done a lot of work on it today, and it's only 10pm! I already feel satisfied with my day.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 12, 2009, 06:16:06 pm »
walmart. black friday.
need i say more?

kettlecorn.
i love this stuff.
its salty but sweet and crunchy and delicious and oh my god. i think it's going to be supper tonight... dont feel like making anything else. one day im gonna learn how to make this stuff myself. then it shall be a labor of LOVE.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2091 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:42 pm »
mia plays double bass. its a giant cello, i guess.

It is nothing of the sort.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 12, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »
I tried using my Big Ray once upon a time to turn a violin into a bass (or double bass, if you like). Instead I got a viola.

Oh, ZING!!!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 13, 2009, 08:07:44 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5iFrYTRyy4

takes me back to mackilroys in swindon if you got past odjob the bouncer up the stairs mods to the left to rockers to the right if this was playing you felt ten feet tall happy days the year 1967??

I love comments like this; sometimes I seek out Youtube videos just for these nostalgic memories. What a pleasure it'd be to travel back in time and get to experience the furious 60s. The music and counterculture would be amazing.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2094 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »
http://www.cmagics.com/beta/piano/

WARNING THIS IS AWESOME

Also:

yid yid
f gfgfsp
py iop
py iou

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:18 pm »
Ramen. Best soup in the world. I love it.

Enough said.  :kamina

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 13, 2009, 11:01:45 pm »

yid yid
f gfgfsp
py iop
py iou

Yeah... what exactly does that mean?  :?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2097 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:42 am »

yid yid
f gfgfsp
py iop
py iou

Yeah... what exactly does that mean?  :?

It's how to play the Song of Storms from Zelda on here: http://www.cmagics.com/beta/piano/

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 14, 2009, 02:28:33 am »
Go around! Go around and around! Round and around and around and around!!!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: December 14, 2009, 04:50:36 am »
A friend of mine drove me back to school after Thanksgiving, since she only lives about 55 minutes away from my house.  While D and I were waiting at her house I got to meet her family, which was pretty awesome because they seem like fantastic people.  A few days ago she told me that after she got back to her house at school, her 20-year-old brother called her and said "Who was your friend??  She's GORGEOUS!"  He then told her that he wanted to go out with me, but "Her boyfriend was there and he was wearing a Naruto shirt, so obviously he's a cool guy.  Dammit!"  XD  That made my day.