Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 151410 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #795 on: November 02, 2011, 04:30:20 am »
Katie, you are entitled to your opinion and method to see truth the way you like, but answer me this: are you entirely certain that the view of yours, and your self-imposed rules and restrictions, will help you achieve the goals and ideals you've set for yourself? Does it signify the Springtime of Youth in you?

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #796 on: November 02, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »
Yep! I am absolutely sure! If I can learn to draw the real world accurately, it means I'll be able to draw the things in my head as if they were real. I don't feel that knowing everything about everything is a 'restriction!'

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #797 on: November 02, 2011, 04:19:54 pm »
Yep! I am absolutely sure! If I can learn to draw the real world accurately, it means I'll be able to draw the things in my head as if they were real.
That's the spirit I'm lookin' for! XD

I don't feel that knowing everything about everything is a 'restriction!'
The 'restriction' wasn't your ideal to know everything about everything (if anything, it's your strength), but your self imposed rule on what is 'right or wrong', or what an artist or art should be and shouldn't be. But anyway, at least for the moment, I don't think it's too important to discuss that here. Your perception and vision are unique to you to travel a new direction at your own pace; plus, you'll most likely learn the "actuality" on your own journey on your own. LOL

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #798 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:13 pm »
I love this guy!

Quote from: Brian Molko
I love being a freak. It's great!

So, then you find yourself in a situation where you have to do things because they're on offer to you, because you don't have much self-respect left. You just can't say no, even to something that you've never done before. You just can't help yourself.

I'm tired of being around men all the time. I'm going to start a band called Skirt with three girls and I'll play the guitar and sing backing vocals in drag. I went window shopping when I was in New York, saw a lot of amazing dresses.

My mouth has a tendency to get me into trouble, but because I'm so small and I take on people who are lager than me. If someone punched me, I'd get my drummer beat them up.

Being so honest in my writing is cathartic.

I believe very strongly that when it comes to desire, when it comes to attraction, that things are never black and white, things are very much shades of grey.

Oh, it's not just desire and attraction, mate. There are so many things in shades of grey!

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #799 on: November 05, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »
Quote from: Brian Molko
I'm tired of being around men all the time. I'm going to start a band called Skirt with three girls and I'll play the guitar and sing backing vocals in drag. I went window shopping when I was in New York, saw a lot of amazing dresses.

There need to be more dresses for men.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 05, 2011, 06:36:27 pm »
I suppose, to the extent there isn't already a wide market for male dresses, it's because female fashions are considerably more ridiculous than male ones, designed to emit whatever notions of sex appeal the out-of-touch people designing those fashions hold. Females in male attire look normal, but males in female attire often look ludicrous, and that's a dead giveaway of the lingering sexism in our fashion industries. Once you can begin to discern that reliably, you'll see that the females in female fashions often look just as ludicrous.

But, yes. Dresses as a concept, or at least skirts, have a limited functional merit, and it'd be nice to see more male options available for those who want them.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #801 on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »
I suppose, to the extent there isn't already a wide market for male dresses, it's because female fashions are considerably more ridiculous than male ones, designed to emit whatever notions of sex appeal the out-of-touch people designing those fashions hold. Females in male attire look normal, but males in female attire often look ludicrous, and that's a dead giveaway of the lingering sexism in our fashion industries. Once you can begin to discern that reliably, you'll see that the females in female fashions often look just as ludicrous.
Well, yes, but not always though. Not saying you're wrong, though. See, we can't wear Women's Kurtas, but Women can't wear "ours" either. The weirdest bit is that it isn't even sexist to begin with, but gender preference. See, while Kurtas were a given since the traditional times, it wasn't the males that decided to give the opposite gender a chance, but actually it was the females who decided that they could out-do men in fashion. And indeed they can.

Ah, and the bliss that the female Kurtas weren't meant to be sexy at all (even though they looked lovely in them), and the modern Kurtas do have quite a variety and taste.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 05, 2011, 07:27:44 pm »
Sexism = the selective treatment or regard of a person on the basis of sex.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »
There actually is a market for skirts for men, and there are companies supplying it—try doing a search on "utilikilt". The fact that they felt they had to use the term "kilt" and not "skirt" (and supply them in "manly" patterns like camo and plain khaki—why shouldn't men wear bright colours too? It used to be allowed, up until about 150 years ago) is the remaining black spot here.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »
Indeed. They're based out of Seattle and are widely worn there. I know well about them and almost mentioned it in my earliest post!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #805 on: November 06, 2011, 05:29:59 am »
Sexism = the selective treatment or regard of a person on the basis of sex.
Actually, the dictionary tells me:
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

How is thinking something awesome, such as fashionable clothing, for their own gender "prejudice" or "stereotyping" or "discrimination"? If I suddenly start wearing a hat and say that other guys ought to wear it to, you'd consider it sexist? You once claimed that you like wearing a watch and it's much easier than checking the time on a phone, and also claimed that the only people who don't wear watches are "mooks" and "Al Kaeda". Does that make you sexist?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:32:08 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:28 am »
You once claimed that you like wearing a watch and it's much easier than checking the time on a phone, and also claimed that the only people who don't wear watches are "mooks" and "Al Kaeda". Does that make you sexist?

1)  I could be off base here, but I'm pretty sure he was joking.
2)  Unless he specifically said "female mooks" and "female Al Kaeda members", that doesn't make him sexist.  Mooks and people in Al Kaeda are not a gender.  :roll:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 06, 2011, 06:26:06 am »
I really get a kick out of being reminded of some of the ridiculous shit I say. =D

You know...they say it's poor form when you're the only one to laugh at your jokes. But I can't help it! I'm side-splittingly full of myself and it feels really good!!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 06, 2011, 06:28:27 am »
You know...they say it's poor form when you're the only one to laugh at your jokes. But I can't help it! I'm side-splittingly full of myself and it feels really good!!

You aren't the only one.  I thought it was hilarious.  =D

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #809 on: November 06, 2011, 06:33:56 am »
I really get a kick out of being reminded of some of the ridiculous shit I say. =D
Sometimes the ridiculous shit are the greatest shit we've ever said. XD I personally liked your "wrist watch" quote.