Author Topic: [DS Version] CHRONO TRIGGER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK  (Read 5989 times)

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Girl who stole the Stars
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
[DS Version] CHRONO TRIGGER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »
Here's what I promised, and I'm very satisfied with myself for being able to translate with almost a complete accuracy the OST's tracks to English, however, I DO have a couple of doubts, which I consulted with some friends that study advanced Japanese, but some songs are kind of left to your own interpretation, as Mitsuda does like to play with kanjis, like a handful piece of Japanese musicians do.

I know most of you aren't really interested in this, so I'll leave all the talking that's left at the end of the post XD so let's cut to the intresting part: What did I upload?

- DS Version of the CHRONO TRIGGER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK @ FLAC.
- Scans of the only, tiny booklet that comes with the CDs.
- ISO rip of the SPECIAL DVD which has a Mitsuda Interview, the CHRONO TRIGGER Orchestra Version and the CHRONO TRIGGER MEDLEY Orchestra Version videos. FYI, the music videos have a 5.1 option <3

Again, a little question for the password protected file, I love this site and sharing, so let's play safe. Remember, input the password in lower case only.
"How is the city of dreams called?"

I have attached a HTM file with tables that have the Kanji, Romaji and English translations of the songs, along with some notes concerning the translation.

Again, any kind of correction is pretty much appreciated, I only have around 2 years and a half of Japanese formal studies, the rest of my knowledge is very informal. And also, English is not my first language, so excuse me if there are any grammatical errors in the translations, and I'd love you to correct them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:13:53 pm by Radical Pan »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: [DS Version] CHRONO TRIGGER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:57:30 pm »
Cool! Looks like you've put a lot of work into this already!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:40 pm »
Do you possibly have the original EAC log files for the song extraction? It's not too important, but some people are incredulous about lossless uploads (worrying that people just transcode from MP3 to FLAC) and those are like the "proof" of the deal. If not, it's fine; this is a brand new release and it's backed up with an air of legitimacy, so I doubt it matters.

Some people are still antsy about it though, so if you can spare the time, all you'd have to do is re-rip to WAV with EAC and save the log files (you don't have to reconvert to FLAC, re-upload, or any of that; just send the log files of the extraction). (Feel free to generate .cue files for each disc, too.)

I also might remove Chrono Compendium from the rip text credits, just so we don't attract attention in the wake of the C&D.

I also noticed on 22 Unmei e.flac that there's a huge anomaly at 0:24-0:25; is that native to the disc?

Amazing work!

Edit: I also noticed that a lot of songs sound a bit crackly, as if there's some clipping on the upper register. That could be inherent to the DS emulation, but I noticed it even on the Special DVD tracks. I opened things up in Audacity, and there does seem to be some clipping. I wonder what would cause it? Normally a straight EAC to FLAC rip wouldn't alter the volume levels like that. Here's an example of clipping (above, accurate rip below):

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:52:38 pm by ZeaLitY »

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »
FML  :picardno

I've de-attached the file with the whole content momentarily. Stupid useless desktop computer, I guess I will re rip it on my new laptop, but I don't know how to rip FLAC with EAC, so maybe you can show me? if it's not much trouble; the program I regularly use is dbPoweramp. I asked you if I should add the .cue files and that stuff, but you said I didn't have to, guess I will next time I try ripping something to FLAC.

Sorry for the troubles, I'll re rip it and re up it once I figure out that stuff.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »
Yeah, it's my bad on those cue and log files :( I've ripped a few things before, but this project and a slew of new ones have led to me finally consult VGMCentral's experts and other guides.

Well, let's see...the problem is that if you rip EAC to WAV, you can't use remote freedb to tag all the files, right? (Assuming you didn't hand-tag them with the kanji; if so, what a lot of work, whew!)

In that case, this should work fine: http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/properly-ripping-to-flac-with-eac-099/

Thanks for all the labor; this is easily the biggest contribution to the site in a long time.

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:20:00 pm »
Yeah, it's my bad on those cue and log files :( I've ripped a few things before, but this project and a slew of new ones have led to me finally consult VGMCentral's experts and other guides.

Well, let's see...the problem is that if you rip EAC to WAV, you can't use remote freedb to tag all the files, right? (Assuming you didn't hand-tag them with the kanji; if so, what a lot of work, whew!)

In that case, this should work fine: http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/properly-ripping-to-flac-with-eac-099/

Thanks for all the labor; this is easily the biggest contribution to the site in a long time.
I did tag every single file manually, that's what I do with all the CDs I buy because at a high percentage of chance, the file tags from those db are wrong (and usually in silly things, but I'm pretty much of a perfectionist), so I'm used to it XD so no problem at all.

Thank you very much for the guide, I'll get back to work on that as soon as I finish this chapter on Uncharted, I need my little daily basis of gaming.  :lol:

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 03:09:31 am »
I'm sorry for the double post, but I need to confirm something.
I've followed every single step of the guide, I even did it around 5 times on the first disc because I made a couple of mistakes the first two times, but when I got it 100% right with no doubt at all, it ripped to FLAC and there's only the FLAC files and .log file, but there was no .cue on the result, I tried 3 more times and neither of them had it as well... is really that .cue file THAT important? cause I can't just figure it out and it takes around 40 minutes just to rip one disc >_<
I'll attach the .log file to see if you can see what's wrong, I give up x_x I've tried to find that error for almost 4 hours with no luck.

I'll wait for your reply before trying to do the rest. Thanks for the help.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 03:14:20 am »
Okay, looks like you have to go to Action > Create CUE Sheet under the EAC menu bar.

Sigh, I should probably rerip some of my own personal things myself now that I know all this stuff...

The log looks great, by the way; no errors whatsoever and straight to FLAC. Perfect. So a log and a cue for each disc.

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:05:22 am »
Okay, looks like you have to go to Action > Create CUE Sheet under the EAC menu bar.

Sigh, I should probably rerip some of my own personal things myself now that I know all this stuff...

The log looks great, by the way; no errors whatsoever and straight to FLAC. Perfect. So a log and a cue for each disc.
Now I know what happened.... here, brace for impact: the page never fully loaded, the whole "how to make a proper ripping" part missed... FML  :picardno HAHAHA ;_; why is everything against me today?

Thanks again ZeaLitY. I think I'll have that stuff done before Monday.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:06:57 am by Radical Pan »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 04:12:25 am »
No problem!

:kamina

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:02:59 pm »
Jesus, this sucks. Remember the volume drop you told me about Disc 3's track 22? Apparently, either my copy of the Soundtrack, or all the copies were missrecorded, or maybe those tracks are protected? I've tried ripping disc 3 in a whole bunch, but it always gives me Read and Sync errors on tracks 22 and 23. About an hour ago I got lucky and could rip track 22, but it still gave me a log message, saying "Suspicious position 0:03:04".
I'm gonna try with track 23 to see if I can get a copy similar to that one, and I guess I'll leave it like that, I believe there's nothing more I can do if it indeed is a fabrication mess up.

If you or anyone else knows anything about this, please let me know, at the moment I have uploaded both disc 1 and 2, 100% error free, with their .cue and .log files.

PS: Forgot to specify, I did check the disc itself to check if it had any visible scratch... it was like it is, 100% new.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:11:50 pm by Radical Pan »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:22 pm »
I see; it could be a mastering issue. I'll post at VGMdb.net. These things are unfortunate, but they happen; for example, the Unreal OST has a few anomalies in the last part of the Chizra track.

Edit: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=11795#post11795
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:39:09 pm by ZeaLitY »

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 10:04:42 pm »
Let's see if anyone else gets the same errors or has a solution to it, tried for the sixth time with track 23, but I can't extract it without any Read and/or Sync Errors >_< Oh, I also tried ripping the CD in 2 different computers and got the same result at the end =/

Thanks again ZeaLitY, you've been a great help all way long, I appreciate it :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:31 am »
 :picardno

I feel really fucking inept, but it looks like someone at GFF already released it lossless a little earlier this month. I assumed no one had gotten to it yet. Most things like this on the Compendium I can blame on others for not bringing to my attention, but this one was up to me.

You invested a lot of work, and you were going to contribute something badly-needed, unique, and substantial to the community, so I'll still make you the new Guru of Life.

Radical Pan

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:38 am »
Lol aw don't worry, I don't mind, really XD I was going to share the OST before knowing about you guys needed help with the music, so it's fine. I'm still gonna fight with this thing to see if I can get a proper rip of track 22, since I managed to solve the issues over track 23; I want to share it here with the rest of the community, I know there are people interested on the DVD's ISO as well.
As for the title, wow... thank you, I really appreciate it, I hope I can collaborate some more here to earn that for sure... I still have to re-rip my Chrono Cross OST and work on the kanjis, romaji and translation, so I'll be sure to share that as well :]