Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336633 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3150 on: April 29, 2011, 04:49:05 am »
INVESTIGATION TIME! Need your help!

Okay, I didn't know where to post this, so I chose this thread at random. I'm sure you guys already know about the Pale Horse of Death video that took the internet and news by storm, and some of the skeptical people out there, including me, just aren't convinced that it actually is a ghost. Most likely you guys aren't convinced either (even if you are, it doesn't bother me; believe what you will). But despite all that, I still won't jump to conclusions that it's probably a lens flare or a doctored video without sufficient analysis.

This is where I need your help. I only have access to a netbook, and for a low powered computer even GIMP can do so much. Video/Image enhancements showed me that there wasn't sufficient details given to the illusion, which meant that the "Horsman" wasn't a 3D model, so that theory goes out the window. Due to the curves at the bottom, it's highly likely it's a lens flare, but in certain frames the flare appears behind objects, which is odd.

I'm interested in investigating what caused this illusion. Mates, grab your tools and let's do this! :D

EDIT: Here's some useful observation: the flames seem to be roughly the same shape as the "ghost", so there's that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:54:35 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 29, 2011, 05:18:00 am »
What -I- want to know is where are the other three Horsemen?  Y'know...the white conquering one, the red one who wants people to kill each other, and the black one who seems to be the manager of an Italian restaurant.  “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”

(I couldn't make this shit up, that quote is actually in Revelation.)

Now I really want Italian food.  Damn you, Apocalypse horse Olive Garden manager!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 29, 2011, 07:50:45 am »
I know the Royal Wedding isn't popular around the Compendium, but I've been watching the ceremonies and I find I am happy. It's a wonderful occasion. The couple is happy. Their family are happy. The kingdom is happy. People all over the world are excited. And England knows how to put on a show, with all its ridiculous pomp and tradition. I think there is some value in a "first family" to lead a nation by example rather than by law, and to provide the fantasy of--or, let me say, the outrageous but soothing fantasy of possessing the greatness to which we aspire in ourselves.

A symbol.

I think humanity will always crave that.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:41 am »
I agree with you, actually, about symbols and ceremony; I just think the whole affair could be exponentially less materialistic and inane, and less rooted in the cultural insanities and insecurities of our age. (OMG WHO WILL THE DRESS BE DESIGNED BY?????)

Still, I don't necessarily fault the Royal Family themselves for this mess, as they seem to be aware that they need to use their position well. Despite some profound lapses in PR judgement, I actually like Prince Charles quite a lot for his charitable causes, for instance. He's done more for the environment in particular than any other public individual I can think of off the top of my head.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:57 am »
I'd have to agree. While I can see why it should be a colossal waste of time, perhaps this is the one media coverage that is exactly the opposite, for reasons Lord J said.

Now I really want Italian food.  Damn you, Apocalypse horse Olive Garden manager!

That made me laugh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: April 29, 2011, 10:23:15 am »
I'd have to agree. While I can see why it should be a colossal waste of time, perhaps this is the one media coverage that is exactly the opposite, for reasons Lord J said.

Aye, but I offer the important caveat that I'm only talking about coverage of the wedding ceremony itself and its immediate surrounding rituals; i.e., the coverage today.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:40 am »
But despite all that, I still won't jump to conclusions that it's probably a lens flare or a doctored video without sufficient analysis.
Due to the curves at the bottom, it's highly likely it's a lens flare, but in certain frames the flare appears behind objects, which is odd.
EDIT: Here's some useful observation: the flames seem to be roughly the same shape as the "ghost", so there's that.

Not only does the flame seem to be roughly the same shape as the ghost, the two shift shift in sync with each other. I am not sure what you mean by "curve at the bottom," but the horsemen is a flipped reflection of the fire: that is, the bottom of the horseman is that top of the flames. Additionally, you will note that the ghost only moves across the street when the camera itself pans. Similarly, towards the end of the video the camera moves upwards and, yup, the ghost moves upwards as well. Curiously, it looks like this may be related to an afterimage effect: the fire is a reddish color, so the expected afterimage color is going to be a greenish color (and surprise, that is the color of the ghost). It clearly isn't an afterimage, but it does seem to be conceptually related.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »
Aye, but I offer the important caveat that I'm only talking about coverage of the wedding ceremony itself and its immediate surrounding rituals; i.e., the coverage today.

Indeed. I see what you're getting at now. More about the ceremony and less of the media.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: April 29, 2011, 04:27:02 pm »
tushantin, you might be interested in Pareidolia.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3159 on: April 29, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »

Here's a nice comparison of that.

[youtube]KN4xB8KPDwg[/youtube]

The ghostly movements of the horseman seem to be a reflection of the way the smoke column moves too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:19:51 pm by Licawolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3160 on: April 30, 2011, 04:45:11 pm »
@Thought and Licawolf: Since you guys achieved the same conclusions as I, this definitely confirms the theory.  :roll: Meh! People make a big issue about nothing sometimes, but it's fun investigating how things turn out, and these huge misunderstandings bring stuff to light. What irks me still is the that they said they spotted the horsemen at Japan's earthquake scene too (which is obviously a hoax, since I've never been able to spot it though people, including my boss's daughter, still claim they have).

The image enhancement actually revealed the curved, though broken, bottom of the flare. Usually light flares have sharp edges and most of them appear in oval shape unless the light source is uneven, such as an explosion.

@FaustWolf: Thanks! I bookmarked it. I actually reached the same conclusion as to why the people responded to strongly to it (albeit, I kept calling it "Placebo effect"). Human brain is good at recognizing patterns, whether they are relevant or not. When coincidences happen at the precise moments one subconsciously begins to think they are related (well, it's SAFE to think they are related, if at least temporarily) regardless of the person's background. It's the same way how telling a person he/she is cursed, then waiting for bad stuff to happen (which coincidentally does happen if not careful), might actually make a person believe he/she is cursed.

@Saj: It's the same, basically. XD The Pale Horse steals the show, like Wolverine in the X-Men, or Magus in Chrono Trigger, or even Snake Eyes from G.I.Joe. Still, the Placebo/Pareidolia effect takes place symbolically: "Conquest" pertains to Proud King (Mubarak), "People killing each other" pertains to "Civil War", and "Don't touch the oil" pertains to "Africa/Saudi Arabia". People subconsciously noticed that, aced with a flare that looks like "Death" (when they saw people dying, of course), their superstitions left the ground.  8)

@Lord J: Man, you're awesome! That's precisely how I felt too.  :cry:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: April 30, 2011, 10:58:39 pm »
Well fuck...I don't want the world to end before Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes out.  =(  Wake me up when the moon turns blood red and multi-headed dragons start flying around.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3162 on: May 01, 2011, 03:58:51 am »
I know this Zelda mural art was already posted in another thread, but I just discovered this video about the way it was done, and it's just SO GODDAMN EPIC!

[youtube]r1mhfHklIRQ[/youtube]

I never noticed how the bottom of the image connects with the top. I LOVE IT.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3163 on: May 01, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
Man, I loved that! XDD

I also LOVE NHK World! When they're not showing the horrors of the calamity at Japan, they show the beauties of it, or some news. Loved the view of Hokaido in there. Also, one Japanese bloke decided to tour China on a train. The views were breathtaking.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile