Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336626 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2070 on: December 10, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »

I love George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue.

I taught myself how to play it on the piano (the abridged version, anyway).

I couldn't record myself playing it, so here's what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDyIxPPhO0&feature=related

I'm gonna work on learning the whole thing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: December 10, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »
Ah, it's a great piece. But it just doesn't belong on the piano...

Edit: Leonard Bernstein makes a potent rebuttal, though. He could probably make nails on chalkboards sound good...not just on piano, but on chalkboards! Still, in the end, I have to stand by my preference for this piece to be played by the full orchestra. Some music just loses its essence when it's boiled down to the ivories.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:20:37 pm by Lord J Esq »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: December 10, 2009, 07:43:58 pm »
At the risk of damning her with faint praise, this is why Rachel Maddow is the best pundit on television:

http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002398/

In this longish clip (about 20 minutes), she interviews this "homosexuality can be cured" guy and she does an extraordinary job of exposing his disingenuous attitude, exposing his bigotry, linking him to state-sponsored murder in Uganda, and clarifying that he has no professional credibility...all while being respectful to him and letting him finish his sentences.

Remarkable work. Worth watching!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2073 on: December 10, 2009, 07:44:19 pm »
Last day of the quarter, OVER! I finally get to sleep in! I got near the top of the class in Math, and a B in History. I have three classes next quarter, but nothing daily this time.
Apparently the whole office has realized that I'm about to graduate. Everyone commented on it at least once, and they all seemed completely surprised. Now I just have to decide whether or not I want to graduate high school this June or next, so I can grab the rest of my pre-reqs for a bachelor's...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: December 11, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »
Ah, it's a great piece. But it just doesn't belong on the piano...

Edit: ... Some music just loses its essence when it's boiled down to the ivories.

Tell that to these guys (and girls):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZ0gBBZnCI

I've seen them in concert.  Truly blows the mind away, and shows that I have a lot to learn still about piano.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:25 pm »
Hah. I will never bend to your corrupt worldview, cur! The symphony orchestra is the greatest invention in the history of humankind. The piano is but a child's toy in comparison. Admittedly, I have a piano of my own--of the synthesizing variety--but this is only because my efforts to take the Seattle Symphony hostage have been maddeningly foiled each week thus far, in one implausible fashion after another.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: December 11, 2009, 05:05:33 pm »

Hah. I will never bend to your corrupt worldview, cur! The symphony orchestra is the greatest invention in the history of humankind. The piano is but a child's toy in comparison.

And the piano is the most versatile instrument in the history of humankind.  You dare to diminish its worth while I'm in earshot?

How exactly do you plan to take the Seattle Symphony hostage? What's stopping you each week?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 11, 2009, 05:47:05 pm »
I mentioned this in my SOY thread but I forget it exists most of the time so I know other people ignore it completely...

I love my new keyboard/synth player. My band practiced yesterday with him for the first time and WOW. He just fits right in, his playing style is exactly what we were looking for, he's been on piano/keyboard for 10 years and his pitch recognition is some of the best I've ever seen/heard! He's a very nice person and adds some much-needed flavor to the sound we've already established.

Also, we haven't tried yet but he plays electric violin as well.

I think this smiley will be big enough.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 11, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »
How exactly do you plan to take the Seattle Symphony hostage? What's stopping you each week?

A pack of meddling kids.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2079 on: December 11, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »
I love books, and how utterly they can transport you elsewhere. I've been reading Watchmen, and I completely forgot that I have a meeting to attend in just a half hour's time (today's Friday, right?). If it were not for the need to eat, this time would have passed me by entirely. I'm afraid I'm still not entirely back on earth yet, either. I love that warm, empty feeling I get when emerging from a book. I forget just about everything else; where I am, what might be happening in the family.. though it does make it difficult to engage in conversation or focus on anything else.
(Also you should all read Watchmen)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 11, 2009, 06:35:02 pm »

I've been saying this forever!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2081 on: December 11, 2009, 06:37:33 pm »

I've been saying this forever!

Then say it forevermore!
I read Sandman before I read Watchmen (I think, bit hazy when it comes to time), and there was this tiny detail, a little running theme in one of the later books (the ninth?) that I completely missed. The second time, I noticed that book took some themes and icons from Watchmen. They're small and very easy to miss, but it was quite amusing to see the link.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2082 on: December 11, 2009, 08:11:23 pm »
Speaking of reading, I love Zeality's new avatar. "Oh, now I feel my topmost greatness lies in my topmost grief." Such a good book. Can anyone here comment to the quality of either of the film adaptations?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2083 on: December 11, 2009, 08:25:29 pm »
Ah, I most certainly will after I finish the book (which is now a top priority). Ahab is now a hero to me. His motivation and obsessive power is incredible. "A thousandfold more potency" indeed.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 11, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »
And the piano is the most versatile instrument in the history of humankind.
LIES.
mia plays double bass. its a giant cello, i guess. she has told me that one of her strings is about the same as two or three saxaphones or more. i would have to say that the string family in general is the most versatile instrument. as well as the most complicated.

speaking of, have i mentioned that i love her? she came over to my house and we hid in my fort and she played some nice music. it was awesome. shes interested in being a music teacher.
i can bake with music!
except souffle.
keep your double bass away from my souffle.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:40:23 pm by ZombieBucky »