Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336624 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1860 on: November 05, 2009, 04:46:16 am »
Well, I got to see Paranormal Activity today, as a birthday gift from one of my friends.

It was an awesome movie. In fact, I didn't even think it was a movie most of the time; I went about an hour and 25 minutes in thinking that this was a documentary. The acting is incredible and extremely clever.

I'd heard that it was an extremely terrifying movie, but I managed to go the whole duration of it. The movie itself didn't really scare me, but outside noises did surprise me as I was so sucked into it.

It's definitely worth the price of admission. I recommend it to all of you, even especially the scaredy cats here.

Really!?! I felt the compleat opisit. I heard the movie was scary but when I saw it I was sorely disappointed. The acting of the wife, friend, and physics part was terrible. The moive was aiming for a documentary effect but was really a predictable ghost haunting story. worst of all the nightly haunting were the only good parts, and they them selves were lacking at time in interest. I went there as part of a date, and we both nearly fell asleep.

Oh and this new ending sucked, the original wasn't much better though.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 05, 2009, 04:58:39 am »
Just got back from a different Doritos shoot, for the same contest.  This one was kind of thrown together last minute, but I have to admit I like the feel of it very much.  The shoot went very very well.  While absolutely absurd, the concept is indeed a good one and it was well done.  Feels good.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:04 pm »
So...Happy Guy Fawkes Day, Compendium.  Go burn an effigy or something.  XP

Remember! Remember! The fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Today is also my cat's birthday. Or so we have decided (he was a stray, so we got to make up his birthday). There is a reason we chose the 5th of November.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 05, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »
Something really neat just happened.  I was walking to take out the trash and suddenly found myself no more than three feet from a deer resting in the shade of a few trees.  The deer stood up quickly when she noticed that I was so near, and I think she must have been napping there because she seemed about as surprised as I was by our sudden proximity.  But, she didn't run.  She just looked at me as I looked at her, probably trying to figure me out as much as I was trying to figure her out.  I guess she did not perceive me to be a threat, and perhaps I was quite a curiosity to her.  After about a minute of the two of us perplexing over one another I broke our mutual gaze and moved on to do what I set out to do, but when I returned I found her in the same location, and giving me the same perplexed look as before.  I laughed a little and waved goodbye to her as I walked back to my house, not knowing how or what I could really communicate.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:27:19 pm by Uboa »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 05, 2009, 09:17:11 pm »
Now, Uboa, the question is...did the deer understand that you were a vegetarian?  :lol:

I've decided, finally. Everyone should have an art. That is the key, or at least one of the keys, to happiness. To feel the creative impulse, something gestating inside of you. That is Cloud 9.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1865 on: November 05, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »
Faust is a very smart man. Art is essential to life! Creative release is the best release! Also I love Mysticalpha's comic.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 05, 2009, 10:39:29 pm »
Agreed with Zeph and Faust, and that is why I love writing.  Writing for me is cathartic and frustrating and therapeutic and difficult and wonderful all at the same time.  Writing has brought me both immense joy and immense sorrow, but it has and always will be one of the things in my life that constantly saves me.

Speaking of writing...

I love Dracula.  Oh man, this book is so fantastic.  I completely forgot how page-turning and creepy it was.  If I absolutely had to make a Top Ten Favourite Books Of All Time list, it'd definitely be in the top ten.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1867 on: November 05, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »
Dracula is an awesome book. The descriptions and techniques Stoker used are really amazing, especially for his time. This guy's writing style was ahead of his time, in a way.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 05, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »
Isn't it all told in fictional letters?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 06, 2009, 12:07:09 am »
Isn't it all told in fictional letters?

Letters, diary entries, and newspaper clippings.

A lot of people are turned off once they realize it's not a traditional narrative and write the book off for fear that it'll be confusing or choppy, but it isn't at all.  You should read it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 06, 2009, 12:36:25 am »
Watchmen is done similarly. I think it sounds right up my alley.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1871 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:16 am »
AAAAND HE'S OUT OF HERE! Two weeks of happy fun and joy! I'll have to savor them for all they're worth; even the homework shall be sweeter. :franky

And while we're on the subject of books we love, read Battlefield Earth. It pretty much taught me how to read, and how to value learning and not be racist.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1872 on: November 06, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »
And while we're on the subject of books we love, read Battlefield Earth. It pretty much taught me how to read, and how to value learning and not be racist.

Heh, anyone over the age of 17(because its rated R) should try to see the movie American History X at least once. Its an incredibly powerful story of racism and race relations in the United States. It's especially beneficial because it doesn't give a rosy-eyed view of race relations, as most movies of this topic do; it portrays the true active struggle between the many races living in the United States. Its a definite eye opener, and should be taught in any respectable class on the topic of race, racism, or race relations.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 06, 2009, 03:35:04 pm »
I love American History X.  It is profound on so many levels, and it really does force the viewer to travel down disturbing thought processes within their own mind.  Definite recommendation.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 06, 2009, 05:40:24 pm »
I love the homemade biscuits that I was served for dinner last night. Freshly made and right out of the oven. I just ate one of the leftovers a few minutes ago.

After dinner we went to the Seattle Art Museum (first Thursdays of the month are always free!), where there was a Calder exhibit and a Michelangelo exhibit. With modern art it often takes me some time, tolerance, and imagination to see any kind of "point," and Calder's mobiles were an example of that. I went in unimpressed and came out appreciative, even if only mildly so. And the Michelangelo exhibit of course was very nice, although the museum closed before I got to see about half of it. Most of what was available to the SAM were sketches, and a few sculptures. I particularly liked the insight offered by one of his early sketches of Adam on the expulsion from Eden, where we see a clenched thigh muscle which isn't present in the final work...a symbol of his resistance which exists only in the sketch.

And I love the weather we've had. A thunderstorm squall passed squarely over central Seattle last night, bringing with it lightning and gale, and sideways hail. I was worried my windows would break. Overall it's been very windy, warm, and wet, and for now the prime weather continues. =)