Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484868 times)

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3435 on: July 29, 2009, 12:13:50 am »
God dammit. I hate stray fucking cats.

I can't wash the comforter for my bed in my machine, so I have to hand wash it and leave it out to dry, which wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the countless number of ferrell cats in my neighborhood. I come out to get it from where put it, and there's like three of them pissing and shitting and shedding hair all over it. I've tried to notify the "owners" (pure bullshit, they let them fuck like rabbits and run free with their litters around the neighborhood), and they don't care at all. I apologize for the profanity, but god damn it.

Fuck.

The bold words above express the pain of my neighborhood as well.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3436 on: July 29, 2009, 03:01:03 am »
Whether it is an act of weakness or treachery, betraying the trust of a good friend who has come to you in their time of need is something I view as unforgivable. I am apparently nearly alone in this opinion. It's not me, is it? I don't think I expect too much of people (nothing that I do not demand of myself); and it frustrates me that they fail so spectacularly. And if I'm wrong...if what I ask is too much to ask of man kind then...well...that's something bigger than frustration, isn't it?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3437 on: July 29, 2009, 03:10:14 am »
Whether it is an act of weakness or treachery, betraying the trust of a good friend who has come to you in their time of need is something I view as unforgivable. I am apparently nearly alone in this opinion. It's not me, is it?

I totally agree here. I'd be left with a huge bitter feeling if I betrayed a friend. Same goes for standing up for them; I wouldn't suddenly turn around and run if one was, say, being beaten up, I'd do whatever I had to. I'd rather die than let someone down.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3438 on: July 29, 2009, 08:05:49 am »
I've suspected that Obama is an atheist for a while, and I think PZ Myers also postulated that he was probably playing for the reasonable team, but couldn't ever reveal it for fear of committing political suicide.

I don't see an atheist nominating Francis Collins to be head of the National Institutes of Health, so my suspicion stands corrected. Sad.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3439 on: July 29, 2009, 02:25:29 pm »
What difference does it make if he's an atheist, Muslim or Christian? I've been asking this ever since his and Mitt Romney's religion became a factor back in 2008.

A majority of his policies and appointments, if not all, are fairly secularly based, so the secularists are getting their policies in either way. Who cares if its an atheist president acting like a Christian or a Christian president politically acting like an atheist?

EDIT: Given some time to think on it, I see your point, Z. When Clinton was elected as quote unquote, the "first black president" because his policies were beneficial to the black lobby, it didn't really have the same impact as Obama's election, where he was the first black man elected president.

So I figure that even though Obama may arguably be the "first atheist president," until an actual atheist is elected that goal is still kind of out of reach.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:14:53 pm by Truthordeal »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: July 29, 2009, 04:50:32 pm »
I was going to type up a big long ditty about religious life on the Obama campaign trail, but I'll let the New York Times speak for me since they did it so much more eloquently.

That article was written before the Jeremiah Wright controversy and of course before Obama dumped Wright, but I feel it accurately reflects the spirit of the Obama Campaign right up to Election Day. The Obama Campaign out-religioned the Religious Right. And on November 8 it felt good.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:35:51 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: July 29, 2009, 06:11:22 pm »
Yeah, I felt sick watching him pander to Rick Warren, but Obama really did outmaneuver the religious right, and it was satisfying. In other western countries, mention of "God" in politics is laughable and religion isn't an issue. I can only hope the American people advance mentally so that it stops being an issue here, too; after all, it's in the goddamn Constitution.

If you want a good idea of why Collins matters, Sam Harris has saved everyone the trouble of dredging old articles with this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/opinion/27harris.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

Dr. Collins has written that “science offers no answers to the most pressing questions of human existence” and that “the claims of atheistic materialism must be steadfastly resisted.”

One can only hope that these convictions will not affect his judgment at the institutes of health. After all, understanding human well-being at the level of the brain might very well offer some “answers to the most pressing questions of human existence” — questions like, Why do we suffer? Or, indeed, is it possible to love one’s neighbor as oneself? And wouldn’t any effort to explain human nature without reference to a soul, and to explain morality without reference to God, necessarily constitute “atheistic materialism”?

Francis Collins is an accomplished scientist and a man who is sincere in his beliefs. And that is precisely what makes me so uncomfortable about his nomination. Must we really entrust the future of biomedical research in the United States to a man who sincerely believes that a scientific understanding of human nature is impossible?

~

On a related note, I'm sick of e-mails passed around workplaces of the

Praise!

Just remember, everything will be fine!

God is great!

Live, love, laugh! Trust in God.

(kitten picture)

Never forget!

variety. The perpetrators are usually ignorant, prejudiced blowhards. These days, they're usually accompanied with "IS OBUAMUA REALLY R PRESIDENT??!??????/////?!?/" or "OBAMA GOIN' KILL 'MERICA" bullshit. It takes a lot not to reply to those. Back when I read DailyKos during election season, I saw a lot of anecdotes about how some of the members made civil, careful replies to some of these chain letters, and received threats of dismissal for it (one guy was fired outright). It troubled me when I worked at a bank that I received more Jesus-spam than real spam.

~

And on another note, look at this website: http://www.evangelcathedral.net/

:picardno
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:14:56 pm by ZeaLitY »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: July 29, 2009, 07:12:08 pm »
It looks like both quotes there are from Collins’ Language of God in a section addressed specifically to Christians:

Let me conclude this brief chapter, therefore, with a loving entreaty to the evangelical Christian church... As believers, you are right to hold fast to the concept of God as Creator; you are right to hold fast to the truths of the Bible; you are right to hold fast to the conclusion that science offers no answers to the most pressing questions of human existence; and you are right to hold fast to the certainty that the claims of atheistic materialism must be steadfastly resisted. But those battles cannot be won by attaching your position to a flawed foundation…
We must not, then, as Christians, assume an attitude of antagonism toward the truths of reason, or the truths of philosophy, or the truths of science, or the truths of history, or the truths of criticism.

Given the above, it appears that Harris is almost intentionally taking Collins’ comment to mean something that it does not. It would seem that Collins is identifying the most pressing questions of human existences as philosophical ones. Science is inherently not philosophical. It concerns itself with mechanism, not fancies. This perspective is shared by Richard Dawkins, to an extent:

Quote from: Richard Dawkins
If you want to do evil, science provides the most powerful weapons to do evil; but equally, if you want to do good, science puts into your hands the most powerful tools to do so. The trick is to want the right things, then science will provide you with the most effective methods of achieving them.

Harris seems to have not understand the distinction Collins was making: science might tell us how we suffer and the processes that lead to suffering, but "why" is a terribly loaded question. To attempt to illustrate, there is a difference in asking "why did my car break" and "how did my car break." The latter is primarily concerned with the series of mundane events that led to the breakdown of a desired order, but the former carries the taint of intention.

It will be a sad day indeed if science ever attempts to attribute intent to the natural world.

Also, given the context, "atheistic materialism" seems to basically just mean "there is no god and everything has a natural explanation." Collins might well accept the "everything has a natural explanation" bit, and encourages other Christians to do likewise, but he rejects the stance that "there is no god." Because of the first distinction (science as being concerned with processes and not intent), “any effort to explain human nature without reference to a soul, and to explain morality without reference to god,” would not necessarily constitution atheistic materialism. It would constitute good science. But then misusing that science to say that god doesn’t exist would be “atheistic materialism”

Though to be fair, this is a bit of wild speculation as I have not dealt with that phrase to a mentionable extent.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:24:06 pm by Thought »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3443 on: July 29, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »
Two frustrations today. First, the word "chillax". It just sounds completely and utterly retarded in its current use. "Chill" means the exact same thing as "relax", there is no need to mix the two. The english language is there for a reason people, use it.
Second, it broke 100F yesterday, and it's 102 right now. I can't even go upstairs anymore (yeah yeah, I'm a softie). I'll take snow over this weather any day!

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3444 on: July 29, 2009, 07:54:54 pm »
Z, why do you go to Evangelical sites? Is it just to piss on them? It's practically the same as me becoming a dedicated reader to the Huffington Post just so I can leave messages in their comment boxes.

EDIT: A more apt analogy might be that I visit Richard Dawkins' website and underline and post everything about him that I think is stupid.

Now, on to my current frustration: This Professor Gates fiasco.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a very bare overview: Professor Gates, a black man, forgot the keys to his house and jimmied his way through the front door. The next door neighbor(a very good neighbor, if you ask me) called the cops and told them that he saw someone breaking into the professor's house. So a patrolman, a white guy, shows up at the house, asks the professor for some ID, and when asked Gates flies into a rage and accuses the cop of being racist, saying that his only crime is being a black man in America, etc.

What happens next various sources seem to argue about, but the general consensus is that Professor Gates made an ass out of himself and then Crowley arrested him for Disorderly Conduct.

It's not the immediate cry of racial profiling or racist cops that frustrated me. Hell, when I first saw the headlines I figured we were in for another Rodney King episode. But in this case, the cops didn't actually do anything wrong. The only thing remotely suspect is that the guy on duty, James Crowley actually arrested him, which you can agree or disagree with whether or not that was the best way to handle it.

But after about a week of crowding onto Crowley's lawn, protesters sending him death threats and the like, the media is just now realizing that not only Crowley is not the evil racist cop stereotype here, but that Gates made up most of the statements he gave to the press.

The charges against him have been dropped, by the way.

So now, after a whole week of whooping and hollering and crying racism, that even the President got stuck in the middle of, once the evidence about the incident(interviews with Crowley's staff, tapes from the 911 call, etc.) starting pouring out, he shuts up. No apology, no nothing except a cheesy photo op that President Obama put together with the three of them sharing a beer on the White House lawn.

It's simply not fair. This man Crowley and his family were put through hell this past week while Professor Gates got to play the victim and threaten lawsuits and look good on National Television. And it's all supposed to go away now because it makes Gates look bad.

Alright, I can understand why Gates reacted the way he did. Its not the most pleasant thing in the world to be confronted by a cop, especially as a black man. You might slip up and say something stupid. And I'm willing to concede that Crowley overreacted by arresting him too. To walk away after getting his ID and confirming that he was in his house would have been the best solution. However, due to the fact that no news source can agree on what happened during the time frame between Crowley asking for ID and Gates being arrested, I can't really say for sure.

The frustration of it is not about who overreacted, because chances are both of them probably did. The frustration is how the incident made the career of one guy and destroyed the reputation of the other. I will admit, the press didn't do too lousy a job of covering it. They did a fairly good amount of actual investigation into what actually happened.

The problem is the medium, really. When you have a Harvard Professor like Gates, backed with men like Al Sharpton and to a far lesser extent President Obama, pitted against a middle class cop on the nightly news, the result is a forgone conclusion.

It just struck me now, as I was looking over this post, how ironic it is that I felt I had to point out which one was the black guy and which one was the white guy.

This just goes to show that race relations in this country are far from gemundlich, as I've said constantly.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:50:59 pm by Truthordeal »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: July 29, 2009, 09:26:01 pm »
Z, why do you go to Evangelical sites?

That was linked in Reddit. And God forbid I should know my enemy.

As for Gates, some recent points:

1. This is an example of what's being passed around by police who discuss the event among themselves: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/officer_suspend.html
2. Crowley falsified his police report to say he was warned of two black males with backpacks when the actual witnesses who called him in said nothing about this; they didn't even say the person breaking in was black. (the transcript)
3. Crowley did a usual police trick and asked Gates to follow him outside for further discussion, allowing for another charge in the arrest.

Just for you, here is someone on Fox News defending Gates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYo6dR0tf_I

There was ignorance on both sides, but ultimately Gates has the indignant high ground here because it was his own home. Just this week, a deaf and disabled black man was tasered and pepper-sprayed for being deaf and having an umbrella, so it's a legitimate exercise and time well-spent to investigate racial profiling, since it does happen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:29:56 pm by ZeaLitY »

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3446 on: July 29, 2009, 09:53:07 pm »
As I said, that time frame has been in dispute. Its hard to know who's telling the truth.

1) The first link shows the racism of some other officer, not the Cambridge police station, nor Crowley himself. By the way, the racist officer was suspended.

2) Damnit, forgot to mention the tapes!

3) Was this before or after Gates showed his ID? By the way, did Gates ever show his ID during the confrontation?

I know you tried to pick a conservative source to convince me, but considering that the user who posted the video is from thinkprogress, a fairly left-leaning group as shown by the previous video entitled "Conservatives Push End of Life Smear," it's kind of a catch-22. Besides, I don't usually watch FoxNews outside of Bill O'Reilly.

However, I've seen him before and I do trust Napolitano, and he makes THE only point that really matters, which is you shouldn't be able to be arrested for Disorderly Conduct in your own house. However, since no one can agree on a time line, none of us know whether or not he was arrested after a shouting match on his porch or not.

Just this week, a deaf and disabled black man was tasered and pepper-sprayed for no particular reason, so it's a legitimate exercise and time well-spent to investigate racial profiling, since it does happen.

While I'm sure there's more to that particular story than what you're letting on, I happen to agree with you on this issue. Racial profiling does happen all of the time. Whether or not its the cause or the effect of the disproportionate amount of black men in prison is up for debate. However, you have to realize that a white Cambridge cop arresting a black Harvard professor in the incident described does not necessarily include racial profiling. As you mentioned, the caller gave no indication of race.

As for why he falsified the reports, the only plausible explanation I can think of is that he knew he screwed up royal.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3447 on: July 29, 2009, 11:15:05 pm »
Truth, I will provide you a link on this issue, because I don't think I could state it any better myself:
http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/07/claybourn_on_the_gates_arrest.php

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3448 on: July 29, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »
RD, finally we agree on something. That link is full of truth and win, regardless of the exact outline of the incident at the Gates residence.

As I said before, it wasn't the initial accusation of racial prejudice that frustrates me, but rather the continued insistence of racial prejudice after evidence came up that not only was it probably not racially motivated, but that professor Gates was just as much an instigator as Sgt. Crowley.

Race relations as a whole are not good in this country, that's for sure. And that in and of itself is worth being frustrated over.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:48 pm »
I'm not defending the outrage, but making sure that racial profiling (a real issue) isn't overlooked or rebuffed.

1) The first link shows the racism of some other officer, not the Cambridge police station, nor Crowley himself. By the way, the racist officer was suspended.

Just demonstrating that there are two sides to the outrage coin.

I know you tried to pick a conservative source to convince me, but considering that the user who posted the video is from thinkprogress, a fairly left-leaning group as shown by the previous video entitled "Conservatives Push End of Life Smear," it's kind of a catch-22. Besides, I don't usually watch FoxNews outside of Bill O'Reilly.

Whoa, ending the post here. If these Compendium walls could speak, they'd cry out in anguish that someone has admitted to watching Bill O'Reilly within their confines.