Author Topic: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!  (Read 275295 times)

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Re: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!
« Reply #2055 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:01 am »
Hurry purchase your adverts for armageddon!
http://www.countdowntotheendoftheworld.com/

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 30, 2009, 06:04:29 am »
Having read those, I believe can safely predict that the next time I embark on a visionary venture and fall embarrassingly short of my desired outcome, the phrase "ME AM PLAY GODS" will ring amusingly true in my mind.

Edit:  On closer examination, I realized that the fruits of my actions would have to visit some kind of ironic harm upon me in order for the phrase to ring really true.  Good thing I'll be able to find some humor in the situation if/when that ever happens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:25:40 am by Uboa »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2058 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:18 pm »
Crazy Bus - The Soundtrack

"2004"

"2004"

"2004"

"2004"

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 30, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »
Crazy Bus - The Soundtrack

"2004"

"2004"

"2004"

"2004"

I think that bg music actually made me angry.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: December 31, 2009, 08:40:29 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091231/us_nm/us_bannedwords

Isn't it great how the academic elites work together to fence out our Constitutional rights?

Way to 'cut and run' over a few 'toxic assets' in our American lexicon, Lake Superior State University.  You really need to 'chillax' and let up on being word banning 'czars'.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: December 31, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »
but i like words.
sure, theyre overused, but no one should be able to tell me what words i cant use. what word should i use to describe that king dude in russia during world war 1? i am quite fond of chillin and relaxin while sexting or retweeting some interesting tweets. or even just unfriending that bitch who picked on me for all of my elementary years, then decided to add me.
(fyi i do not use facebook or twitter)
its part of our lexicon. these terms we have now are going to be part of our age, like groovy to the seventies or rad to the eighties.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 01, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

Isn't it great how the academic elites work together to fence out our Constitutional rights?

Way to 'cut and run' over a few 'toxic assets' in our American lexicon, Lake Superior State University.  You really need to 'chillax' and let up on being word banning 'czars'.

They're not proposing that anything actually be outlawed. Any suggestion otherwise is the result of bias in the article or wishful thinking on the part of the reader. Their list is a commentary on the linguistic degeneracy of the day.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2064 on: January 01, 2010, 12:18:25 am »

Way to 'cut and run' over a few 'toxic assets' in our American lexicon, Lake Superior State University.  You really need to 'chillax' and let up on being word banning 'czars'.

That is simple linguistic satire, not some vast liberal conspiracy to undermine your God-given, red-blooded, commie-smashing rights.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/area_man_passionate_defender_of

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: January 01, 2010, 01:33:38 am »

I was being sarcastic in my post.

I would've responded in the same manner the list of Banned Books of America.

Zombiebucky got it.  High five! :D

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: January 02, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »
New trailer for the comicbook adaptation of "Kick-Ass".

Empowerment of children and females or exploitation? Discuss. :lol:

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:36 am »
Kick-Ass?  Hmm...  :?

Such a movie is what I would call "good concept, bad execution."

Good concept: The desire for a teenager who loves to read comic books to emulate his/her hero/heroine in some way, shape, or form.  It's a mostly universal drive to follow the one(s) you idolize (even if they're fictional), so it's easily understood at the personal level of the average movie-goer.

Bad execution: The trailer comes off to me as a "Superbad" knock-off mixed with exploitation and trivialization of the concept the director desperately tries to hype up and make appeals to a younger generation with.

Why exploitation?  The comic book series which this is based off of (artistic license, anybody?) will draw in not only comic book geeks, but comedy fans of such movies as Superbad and Knocked Up as well. Also, it'll probably draw in people who are curious to see how the movie will fare as a story.

Why trivialization? Every basket-case comic-book geek yearning for adventure and actualization do so in this movie (and the comic book series) through the childish assembly of their costumes, their fantasy-world hero names, and the foes that they go out of their way to pick a fight with and whom they're clearly outmatched against.  Fighting crime isn't a game, neither is being a vigilante (vigilantism is illegal), and the film (as does the comic series) takes it as something you just "go out and do".

Basically, it's the equivalent of sending a costume to every comic book reader in America and saying "Suit up and go get 'em!"  I'm not looking forward to it, but I am working on an idea for a television series that will take a serious tone towards the concept.

What says you?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:57:56 am by GenesisOne »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: January 03, 2010, 04:09:21 am »
Genesis are you Familur with the comic its based on at all? I think I might see the movie.

Here is another trailer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgfH5SOuWY this get the tone of the movie over better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:12:51 am by KebreI »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: January 04, 2010, 01:12:27 am »
Personally, I can't wait to see it. I think they're gonna have trouble finding a "target audience" because the main characters are mostly kids, but I am all about high octane ridiculously stylized violence in movies akin to sin city, kill bill, and the kung fu/martial arts films from which they draw inspiration.

That said, if I had a daughter, I would NEVER let her see it until she didn't live in my house anymore. The actress in that red band trailer is apparently 11 years old, and we see her not only swear twice, but also she asks for a knife for her birthday and her father acts as though it's totally normal, indicating a fucked up home life, then she gets shot at and attacked by several fully-grown men and she totally not only beats them up, but dismembers and kills them.

Now that's the part I was talking about with the empowerment vs. exploitation idea. Should a girl who can take care of herself and actually fight so many thugs be applauded, or does her age tell you that they shouldn't have made it at all?