Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 148572 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #960 on: April 07, 2018, 05:20:38 am »
Quote from: Leonard Bernstein
And so Beethoven came to the end of this long symphonic journey—at least for one movement. Imagine a lifetime of this struggle: movement after movement, symphony after symphony, quartet after concerto after sonata, always probing and rejecting and this constant dedication to perfection, to the principle of inevitability. Somehow this is the key, the only key we can have, to the mystery of a great artist…that, for reasons unknown to him, or to anybody else for that matter, he will give away his life and energies just to make sure that one note follows another with complete inevitability. Seems rather an odd way to spend one’s life, but it isn’t so odd when we think that the composer by doing this leaves us at the finish with the feeling that something is right in the world, that checks throughout…something that follows its own law consistently. Something we can trust, that will never let us down.

And:

Quote from: Alex Steacy
Out there are people who want to hear a story that you are uniquely prepared to tell. Another story, even if it’s better, won’t do.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 07, 2018, 05:11:38 pm »
あなたを愛しております
生涯かけて、 
あなた様だけを愛しております
今、あなたのもとへ参ります
二人がもう一度契る場所

- Juri Nakashima

My Japanese is really rough (but improving) and it translates something along the lines of:

I love you.
Througout my lifetime,
I will love only you.
Now, I will come to meet you.
In the place two people will meet again.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #962 on: May 22, 2018, 12:06:07 pm »
Simply one word:

"Zugzwang"

It applies to many tough situations in life.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:10 pm »
Nice! I recognize that word from German class!

chrono.source, bist du Deutscher?

You may not be German, as I know it's a word that has sort of slipped into English vernacular (and likely other languages as well). Just curious! FaustWolf and I are both Americans but know some (rusty) rudimentary German and would sometimes slip into it back in the day. There are likely others around here.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 23, 2018, 10:24:31 am »
Ironically I am half German, but with no dialect ingrained in me. My father lost it after simply not speaking it after moving out from my grandparents' house.

I actually learned that word from a movie called Mr. Nobody. Really bizarre but intriguing. Most "out-there" movies really appeal to me. "The Jacket" being another bizarre movie, but by far my favourite of all time. Definitely worth a watch.

I really do wish I learned German (or any language for that matter)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #965 on: May 23, 2018, 10:47:33 am »
Ironically I am half German, but with no dialect ingrained in me. My father lost it after simply not speaking it after moving out from my grandparents' house.

I really do wish I learned German (or any language for that matter)

Learn it! There's nothing better than learning your heritage and where you came from.

I actually learned that word from a movie called Mr. Nobody. Really bizarre but intriguing. Most "out-there" movies really appeal to me. "The Jacket" being another bizarre movie, but by far my favourite of all time. Definitely worth a watch.

You seem like a fan of bizarre stories. Let me recommend to you another bizarre adventure:

Quote from: Speedwagon, from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Jonathan! This one's mad as a hatter! Dio's evil yet, but I never see him come out of an animal!

Quote from: Jojo, from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Well, my arms are folded and my eyes are closed, this is a victory laugh. You lost today because you snoozed for 2000 years.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:11 pm »
Based on a quick wikipedia search it looks rather promising. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:03 pm »

Understandable. It's a fun language, but I'm really rusty these days. I've also started learning Japanese as a hobby, and I think it's pushed out some of my German language skills, hahaha... Never to late to learn with Duolingo or another app! 10 minutes a day can have you at least picking up some skills.

"The Jacket" being another bizarre movie, but by far my favourite of all time. Definitely worth a watch.

ME TOO. It's such a great, criminally underrated film. Especially given the star power of Adrian Brody and Kiera Knightly both held in the late 2000's.

I actually spent YEARS trying to find the ambient music-boxy song that reoccurs throughout the film; it's a Roger Eno tune (brother to Brian Eno) and there are dozens of half-asses recordings from the film, but no official versions. It doesn't help that the film was so under the radar that no real soundtrack exists.

I did eventually find a clean version, though, and it will have to suffice.

But yeah, it's a great time travel film that I really wish carried more clout in the film community.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2021, 05:48:18 am »
The Jacket & Domino are two of my fav Kiera Knightly movies. I believe she has topless scenes in both, not that they're amazing or anything, just a random fact floating in the noggin...😅

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2021, 09:45:15 am »
The Jacket & Domino are two of my fav Kiera Knightly movies.

One of the things I really liked about The Jacket was how it didn't necessarily offer answers to some of it's questions. Nowadays films like to spell everything out and use dialog to exposition everything to ensure the audience 'gets it.'

I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4xrjAZBGA