Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 485196 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5970 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:30 pm »
We vilify the desire for greatness. We call it a bad thing, and preach a vague sort of “return to the basics” as the goal to look toward. It’s everywhere, even in stories I like, such as the mention of a grid-based road structure as imposing itself upon the free-flowing curves of nature. Perhaps grid-style roads are not a good avatar for “greatness” (indeed I would not expend myself to argue otherwise), but the point illustrates the thoroughness with which we subscribe to the concept that our civilization has somehow turned evil.

This is a point at which the slippage occurs that influences people to the point that they mistake intelligence for evil. A great part of the modern era has been in making nature legible, something that we can understand from a far off administrative perspective. For just one example of this, go take a look at counties in the U.S.: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/USA_Counties.svg
Notice how on the east coast the counties are largely haphazard. The sizes and shapes differ. Move towards the center and things become more regimented. The northern part of Texas is a wonderful example of this. However, you will also notice that the counties don't actually line up in a perfect grid: everything is more or less the same size, but many are off the grid by a few miles. The reason for this is simple: squares don't map onto a globe in a nice, orderly fashion. This isn't modernization at its worst, by any means, but it is an example of how the old modernization process ignored fundamental realities in order to achieve the goal of legibility. To be fair, odd county lines aren't going to make most people dystopian in their mindset, but this is an example of the trend that, when you look elsewhere, is more capable of promoting this perspective.

Germany's efforts to make forests legible in the first half of the last century is another manifestation of this trend: rip up natural forests, plant only the trees you want in nice orderly rows, and harvest them when they are fully grown. Greatly increase lumber output for about a single harvest-worth, then things plummeted dramatically because the necessary process of nutrient retention and protection against diseases have been removed. Health is another area where this has been the case. Because of our efforts to make people healthy, autoimmune diseases are on the rise. Our bodies, having evolved to be constantly fighting off infection, are now left with nothing to do but attack themselves.

The trend away from utopian thinking has coincided with society realizing that the world is more complex than we had originally thought: we thought we knew how to reach the heavens, but we then found out that our foundation could not support that. This, unfortunately, has in some people promoted apocalyptical mindset. Oil is going to run out, the ice-caps will melt, a new pandemic will arise, and we can't even stop hunger in the United States. The problems that face us now are largely problems of our own making. Having reached a point of development that the world has not seen before, it seems more likely that we'll fall rather than continuing to rise, especially since what allowed us to rise is coming back to torment us. This is a short-sighted perspective, but my intent has not been to legitimize the perspective but rather to help illuminate one reason why it developed (it would be cliché to say that the problem is multifaceted, but that does not make it any less true).

Despite the above, I am actually optimistic about the near future. Yes, the modern era caused problems that we are now facing, but we are also overcoming those problems, slowly but surely. We are creating ways to prevent pollution from happening in the first place, we are creating ways to undo the damage we have already done, we are creating balanced approaches to health to help prevent the rise of autoimmune disorders and to treat them when they are present. Our social advancements may be further behind, but the fact that discrimination is formalized indicates that it is already losing its grip on society (worry more about those forms of discrimination which are so accepted that no one feels the need to make a law). Right now people only see the problems that came with our past successes. I am confident that new successes will in turn change their mind again.

Within our lifetimes we will see a better society, a better culture, a better civilization. This is, indeed, a wonderful time to be alive. Yes, there are problems with face us, problems which if we do not address have the potential to ruin us. But this is not the apocalypse, this is the ragnarok, the end that brings new and more glorious continuations. It is during this era, when people despair, that we can affect a change for the better. When our civilization is at full speed, it is impossible to alter its course substantially. But now the winds are slacking, we can trim the sails, and we can change direction for the better.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5971 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »
Learning Dvorak is harder than I imagined... and I'm dyslexic as heck, especially when intimidated. Most of the time I didn't even recognize common letters such as 'o' or 't' until 20 secs later.

And yet it feels like this layout is far better than QWERTYs

OK, wrote this post in Dvorak and it took me about 27 mins to finish it...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5972 on: June 17, 2011, 09:42:50 pm »
I passed a turtle scurrying across a road here. I immediately resolved to save it and looped back around at the earliest opportunity. The turtle had, in my last view, parked itself near the curb to try and climb up (it was a steep, unyielding curve). When I got back, someone had deliberately run it over right where it had been trying to climb. I found it lifeless with a savagely cracked shell.

I want to find that person. I want to break their spine with a baseball bat. Some people aren't worth the fucking oxygen they breathe. Fucking beneath me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:44:25 pm by ZeaLitY »

Angerona

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5973 on: June 18, 2011, 12:12:17 am »

I want to find that person. I want to break their spine with a baseball bat. .

And I would grab that bastard from the back to make sure she/he won’t run away while you do it. I’m mad and speechless…   :evil:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5974 on: June 18, 2011, 12:39:35 am »
Thanks for your solidarity...that event really made tonight suck.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:57 am »
I can imagine, but I will never truly empathize with, the malice that compels people to do this. It can't just be empty-headed shits and giggles. There must be some kind of genetic malevolence wired into us which in some people takes the somehow-evolutionarily-advantageous form of torturing animals. Sick.

I do hold out hope for rehabilitation in such cases, before breaking out the ol' death sentence, however...

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: June 18, 2011, 05:59:28 am »

I want to find that person. I want to break their spine with a baseball bat. .

And I would grab that bastard from the back to make sure she/he won’t run away while you do it. I’m mad and speechless…   :evil:

I'll help too!

I don't understand why people are so cruel to other living things. I've taken care of some abused cats in the past, and I just don't understand what compels people to treat animals that way.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5977 on: June 18, 2011, 07:08:04 am »
I passed a turtle scurrying across a road here. I immediately resolved to save it and looped back around at the earliest opportunity. The turtle had, in my last view, parked itself near the curb to try and climb up (it was a steep, unyielding curve). When I got back, someone had deliberately run it over right where it had been trying to climb. I found it lifeless with a savagely cracked shell.

I want to find that person. I want to break their spine with a baseball bat. Some people aren't worth the fucking oxygen they breathe. Fucking beneath me.
Been there, mate. It's that significance of life question again where one person would empathize with any and every creature, valuing every life, while another person would sadistically kill those creatures for fun just because they wouldn't be any use to them anyway. It kinda saddens me, and yeah I have been in your shoes before.

Four years back there was this colony of cats at a space besides an unoccupied, weed-conquered land where I usually walked around at just to get a peace of mind. Often when required I bought some food for the cats, even though I knew I wasn't much worth in their lives (or at least they're ungrateful; cats are always ungrateful). I even brought more kittens who were endangered, thinking they were safer there. I helped them out nevertheless and spent time playing with them, until one sonuvabitch turned up began kicking them around. Three cats dead, several others ran away, two of them crushed under vehicles. That person wanted to build a bank there. Back then I was immature and picked a fight with him, almost about to break his leg until he called the security and had me tossed away. Since then, I was considered to be the bad guy and he continued to be a sadist towards animals just to annoy me.

:picardno

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5978 on: June 18, 2011, 11:54:41 am »
Posting from the iPhone because the door of the office got stuck, I can't enter but I'm not allowed to go. So I'm just sitting here on the street and the ants are crawling all over me, agh!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: June 18, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
Ugh, bank service fees creeping up outta nowhere. Go ahead, big corporate vampires, bleed the little guy some more! What's next, reaching into little kids' piggie banks!?

The wonderful Invisible Hand at work!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5980 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »
Ugh, bank service fees creeping up outta nowhere. Go ahead, big corporate vampires, bleed the little guy some more! What's next, reaching into little kids' piggie banks!?

The wonderful Invisible Hand at work!
Quick question (curiosity, really): do commoners really need banks there? If so, are you guys free to switch over to ethical banks?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:59 pm »
Quote from: tushantin
...do commoners really need banks there?
Having a bank account is the most efficient way of doing things, certainly. I'm not entirely sure how I'd access PayPal payment or Direct Deposits (my main source of income) without a bank account, for example, let alone order things online. It's actually difficult to imagine being paid in cash here -- every payment I've ever seen in my life has been a check that necessitates a bank account, cash being a luxury extracted from said account.

And credit cards, pah -- those will just get you in debt up to your eyeballs. Debit cards associated with bank accounts are where it's all at, or at least where it all was in my own mind up until I logged in and found this shit.

Quote from: tushantin
If so, are you guys free to switch over to ethical banks?
Aye, there's the rub. The most reputable banks are no doubt implementing the exact same thing my bank has just put into effect, though I'll give due diligence to researching competitors. My suspicion at the moment is that this has a lot to do with legislation in the US preventing banks from charging exorbitant overdraft fees -- the banks are essentially compensating for lost income here.

Lest anyone blame liberals for pushing this sort of thing through, I'll say that if my immediate family is factored into the equation we're still being hit less with fees than we were before. It just feels damn atrocious that the bank's cutting an appreciable portion out of my current income*, and it's sickening to think of how less fortunate families than mine will have to skip meals over this sort of thing.

*Bearing in mind that a bank really receives everyone's income to begin with, and just "banks" on the probability that not everyone is going to ask for it back all at once. If service and/or overdraft fees are really what a bank needs to rely on to pay its workers, maybe we oughtta re-think this entire freaking system.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:22:49 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5982 on: June 18, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
 :(

And here I a was, advising people to save up their money and safeguard their future by using Banks. I guess in the US (or anywhere the same problems follow) that advise would most likely get people broke. But then again the Banks would obviously take advantage of commoners' necessities; every company does. In your case, necessity is bank transaction itself.

Funny. Industries. For the people. Against the people.

*Bearing in mind that a bank really receives everyone's income to begin with, and just "banks" on the probability that not everyone is going to ask for it back all at once. If service and/or overdraft fees are really what a bank needs to rely on to pay its workers, maybe we oughtta re-think this entire freaking system.
Good point! O_O
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:29:04 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5983 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »
Wait a friggin second. What kind of fees are you guys talking about? What service fees? Do you have to pay that monthly/annually? What about the interests you get on your savings account? Or don't you guys get them at all?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:09 pm »
Haha, when you suggested switching from checking to savings you might have just saved me some money tushantin. The hard part for me will be re-defining Direct Deposit, but it should be doable.

It's a monthly fee. Savings accounts and checking accounts operate under different rules, but both are liable to have fees attached to them any more. The rub with savings accounts is that there are severe limits on the number of times you may withdraw from them per month. Simply switching from a checking to a savings account might be feasible for me, but not for most, like, normal people -- who have kids and stuff by my age! Crikey!

Well, my situation's messed up after all (then again, I don't know a person who's situation isn't completely messed up any more!). The banks here do reward wealthy depositors -- there's a minimum deposit that needs to be maintained lest the fee kick in in my bank's case. I expect similar policies from the other major banks. But, damn, it's so high that the average customers ain't gonna make it, and the fee is equivalent to several boxes of Cheerios, you know? I mean, damn. I pity the fool who makes a kid go without his or her Cheerios! What else is the family gonna give up? Gasoline? Hah!

There is something called a Credit Union people can use as an alternative to banks in the US, though I'm not really familiar with how these work. Sounds like a good time to begin investigating, though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:03:57 am by FaustWolf »