Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484429 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5475 on: January 16, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
One of her characters is named Wynter Lilly, and another one is some half werewolf / half vampire hybrid who had a supar traumatic past omg that has to bridge the gap between the two species (races? species?) and she's the ONLY one who can do it and the ONLY half werewolf and half vampre EVAR.  Ugh.  Kill them with fire.  -______-

:shock: that's ... but ... why?

You know what I've always wondered? If you mate a vampire and a werewolf, won't the offspring be sterile like a mule? Think about it.

Also I wanted to point out the film Hot Rod for being funnier than I thought it would be, and for featuring a main character who thinks he's a Marty Stu, only to get proven wrong every time he attempts anything. Just when you think he might do something right, hilarity ensues instead.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:34:23 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:18 pm »
You know what I've always wondered? If you mate a vampire and a werewolf, won't the offspring be sterile like a mule? Think about it.

Indeed. Even worse about it is the prospect that this is an undead creature trying to conceive a child with a beast-man/woman. Even in a magical world, this makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: January 16, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
BTW folkss, Mary Sue concepts aren't that bad, so long as you know how to use em. Think of em as a plot device, and you're in business!

Explain.

I admit, I'm using a couple of em and they've turned out to be pretty neat!

By your standards, or the standards of your critics?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:57 pm »

I hope so.  I really, really hope so.

Unfortunately, the girl's "love interest" is a human, so I assume their offspring is going to be Vyolette Mydnyght Lestat-Dracula-Wolfenstein-Whatever who's half human and thus has to go to a normal human school but has such amazing powers and is such a ~*~speshul snowflake~*~

I totally agree with you. I am a little bit guilty of the Sue-ish name thing, though. In a Teen Titans fanfic I'm writing, I have a character called Moonshadow. She is a Tamaranean though

I don't think that counts as a Sue-ish name, because it's probably a name that would be normal for a Tamaranean.

Indeed. Even worse about it is the prospect that this is an undead creature trying to conceive a child with a beast-man/woman. Even in a magical world, this makes absolutely no sense at all.

Necrophilia and pseudo-bestiality ftw!

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:51 pm »

It depends on how many chromosomes the hybrid offspring has. Mules have an odd number of chromosomes and thus are normally sterile, but most big cat hybrids (lion-tiger crosses, lion-leopard, etc) have an even number and are fertile.

</USELESS_INFORMATION>

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: January 17, 2011, 12:04:33 am »
Oooh! Ligers. Tions. Lobcats.

But, sadly, no horse-birds I take it, except in Final Fantasy XIV.  :(

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: January 17, 2011, 01:34:22 am »

Probably depends on which origin story is used for them. If vampires and werewolves are originally humans, maybe that makes them compatible. Maybe.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:14 am »
But, sadly, no horse-birds I take it, except in Final Fantasy XIV.  :(

In the new game from the guys who did Ico and Shadow of The Colossus, you play as a little boy who has a guardian that looks like a cross between a horse, an eagle and a dragon.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #5483 on: January 17, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »
Both smoke alarms went off in my house just as I was going to bed. Since they are both wired into the house, if one goes off they both go off.
Had to call the fire department.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5484 on: January 18, 2011, 05:30:59 am »
BTW folkss, Mary Sue concepts aren't that bad, so long as you know how to use em. Think of em as a plot device, and you're in business!

Explain.

I admit, I'm using a couple of em and they've turned out to be pretty neat!

By your standards, or the standards of your critics?
:lol: Both; but of course, my critics haven't even realized yet which of those characters is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, since they were downright awesome. Basically because those terms only seem to apply (blame human emotions) when a character follows the traits of it and goes bad.

When people do something, saying this method works unlike the other so don't touch the other, I do it completely opposite. For once thing, I've always believed that in our world there's no item that's without a purpose besides being negative, which makes me want to try things other people haven't. When I once read about people being annoyed with the rise of Mary Sue-ism in fiction, telling everyone to drop the topic because nothing good can come out of it, I decided to experiment this myself and wrote a whole god-damned book (unpublished) about it. At least 20% of the characters are based on me, but are pretty well developed to have flaws and strengths alike, and yes, a couple of them also have those tragic pasts you worry about, but funny enough none of them were emo. Only a few trusted folks have read the manuscript, but they're pretty rational and dang awesome to help me correct any kind error or flaw, and none of them complained (or even noticed) about the concept I was secretly following.

Can't tell you how I did it (it's all confidential), but the most logical fact would be that Mary Sue is nothing more than a plot device, either intentional or unintentional, but tricky to pull off nonetheless. Sometimes people fail, sometimes they get pretty awesome results.  8)

Oh yeah! I also have werewolves and vampires in (the sequel of) my novel. And no, they aren't like Twilight. :S I'm more fond of Mystery/Thriller genre, and involved a little supernatural to it.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »
I find it useful to make a distinction between "Mary Sue" characters and author surrogates. Author surrogacy is a legitimate and time-honored component of literature, and a sensible vehicle for the exploration of ideas. Mary Sues are a class of author surrogates which corrupt the artistic potential of a work by communicating unrealism at the meta level.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »
Is inserting an intentional Mary Sue into a story with otherwise completely believable characters for mainly comedic effect equally contemptible?

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:50 am »
Totally changing subject, but this is serious and bothers the Hell out of me.

My neighbor owns an old German shepherd, and the poor thing's about as close to being a stray without being officially so. He's skinny as a rail and is so dirty that after petting him tonight, I'm probably going to keep the stink he'd left on me for two or three days. The worst part is that the closest animal rescue services don't come out to the middle of Goddamn nowhere that I live in, so I can't get anything done via said organizations. Currently, I'm wiping away tears while contemplating whether or not to hit his owner over the head with a large cinder block.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:22:11 am by Manly Man »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5488 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:44 am »
@Lord J: Not just author surrogates. XDDD I'm really talking about Mary Sue. Think of it this way: if you completely leave out the genre of the stories then you find that a concept is shared between Twilight and an anime called School Rumble, and that is a girl, an author/audience surrogate, finds herself falling for a man who's almost perfect. And I'm not just talking about the two protagonist girls either, but also those "perfect dudes" named Edward Cullen and Oji Karasuma. Both the characters are Gary Stu by nature, lack of flaws and what some girls perfectly dig, but Edward Cullen was unintentional while Karasuma was placed there with artistic and comical intention. It's because the story revolving around Tsukamoto and Karasuma is so goddamned fun to watch nobody complains, or even has the time to think, about negative aspects of Mary Sue-ism!  :lol:

It's like how you wouldn't use a hammer to crack open a glass bottle. Every concept has its useful time and place, and every human is supposed to master their tools at hand.

@Manly Man: That's pretty sad to hear, man. I'm not sure what to say on this matter, besides the point that the dog's master is a d**k. But the dog itself would need a new master. It'd be awesome if you could adopt it and give it a new, better life.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: January 19, 2011, 07:04:30 am »
Totally changing subject, but this is serious and bothers the Hell out of me.

My neighbor owns an old German shepherd, and the poor thing's about as close to being a stray without being officially so. He's skinny as a rail and is so dirty that after petting him tonight, I'm probably going to keep the stink he'd left on me for two or three days. The worst part is that the closest animal rescue services don't come out to the middle of Goddamn nowhere that I live in, so I can't get anything done via said organizations. Currently, I'm wiping away tears while contemplating whether or not to hit his owner over the head with a large cinder block.

My brother has a similar problem.  There's a badly-treated dog in the area where he and his girlfriend live and, like you, they live out in the middle of nowhere.  They're not sure whether they should confront their neighbour or not.  Is it feasible for you to talk to the person who owns the dog?