Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 485083 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4260 on: October 13, 2009, 03:45:15 pm »
Kara- that sucks.  I guess do what you can to try and find other work with your free time, sounds like nothing is changing at your work...

KebreI - oi...it happens...and usually it's for the better.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: October 13, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »
If you actually want to know what frustrates me and pisses me off, check my SoY.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: October 13, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »
I am frustrated that I had to spend $150 on transcripts from a single institution. It isn't even a notable institution! It was a Jr. College.

The same number of transcripts from two different real universities cost $40 and $60, respectively.

Now to be fair I was ordering 30 transcripts from each of these three institutions, so that isn't going to be cheap no matter how you cut it. But $150?!

That one class I took there in high school was totally not worth that hassel of getting transcripts from that place.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: October 13, 2009, 06:14:14 pm »
Holy crap Thought, you'd think they'd give you a "buy in bulk" deal or something.

Beware of colleges and universities trying to contact you for "updates on your situation." My undergrad college did this a few months back and when I called to update them, I found out it was a gimmick and that they'd lured me into a conversation with a salesman for buying a $200 yearbook. It's amazing just how easily people can take advantage of you with a bait-and-switch; you're not psychologically prepared to refuse things you might not really want to do, and meanwhile the salesperson is bombarding the hoodwinked former student with things like: "Most people are doing it."

There's some psychological thing that makes people so easy to take advantage of, or be pushed into things they don't really want. All it takes is an authoritative voice sometimes, and we're reduced to these shocked zombies unconfident and unable to think quick enough to escape the situation in any other way than the authority suggests. It all goes back to the Milgram experiment.

And that's what pisses me off at the moment I guess.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:07 pm »
Yeah, my school tried to do that, but after I found out the pricetag for the "updated yearbook" I declined.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: October 13, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »
Overheard.

Bimbo Roommate # 1::  "I think I'm going to do [a psychology paper, I guess] on anorexia."
Bimbo Roommate # 2::  "Oh, that'll be easy.  You can just do research on the different types of people who have anorexia, like models or girls who want attention, or any of those emo high schoolers."

. . .

When will people realize that eating disorders are complicated mental disorders that are NOT about garnering attention (WOW!) or being "emo" (SHOCKER!) or even about looking sexy and desirable (OMG RLY WUT?!) ?

The level of ignorance in this world is astounding.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:42 am »
Just watched an episode of Dexter.  It was my first episode and came highly recommended...

...and I was disappointed.  Thus, I am frustrated.

At least Heroes is better this season.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: October 14, 2009, 03:31:36 am »
When will people realize that eating disorders are complicated mental disorders that are NOT about garnering attention (WOW!) or being "emo" (SHOCKER!) or even about looking sexy and desirable (OMG RLY WUT?!) ?

They were being insensitive and ignorant, but isn't anorexia at least sometimes about being sexy and desirable? This is based solely upon my 'observations' and tidbits I've heard from people who sound more authoritative, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a significant number of anorexia cases due to a desire to meet an unrealistic 'ideal' of sexual attractiveness and desirability. Also, aren't some cases motivated by a desire to 'fit in' that people try to fulfil by becoming anorexic because they obsess over their body image with respect to their peers'? (In that case, it's more indirect because the anorexic body is a means towards an end which makes attractiveness only an implicit or incidental target.)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:31 am »
You're not giving sufficient emphasis to the distinction between the motivations which lead to the disorder, and the disordered thinking itself. Regardless of where something like anorexia nervosa comes from, the bit that makes it a mental disorder is that it produces irrational behavior. It's that distinction which most people fail to appreciate. Nearly all of us are exposed to insatiable peer pressure, unrealistic social norms, and mooks, but some people get it worse than others, or can't cope as well, or have a genetic predisposition, and develop a disorder. The disorder itself, as with any medical or psychological condition, has, as Sajainta hinted at, little or no connection to the impetuses which caused it.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:31 am »
I showed up a bit late to my own PT (Physical Training) session because I nearly fell asleep earlier. Fortunately nobody bothered attending.

I don't like leading group PT sessions anyway.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:25 pm »
What I meant was that in as much as anorexia nervosa is 'about' its initial causes, it seems to be about body image and social standing for many people. I wouldn't know how many people remain anorexic for those reasons (as opposed to
an anorexic state becoming its own justification), but I understand that for many (even if 'only' a significant minority), body image and social standing are the initial motivations and are prevalent enough parts of the issue that anorexia can't be said to be divorced from them. (Or, more specifically, to 'not be about' them.)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: October 14, 2009, 03:54:01 pm »
Boo - never watched Heroes, but I didn't get into Dexter either.  I think I need to give it another shot, though.

As for me...I'm listening to Toto right now.  This should explain enough.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4272 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
Bit of a stupid frustration, but there is this one mailbox right next to my bus stop that is always open, whether it is empty or not. I think it's a problem with the clasp. I shut it everyday, but as soon as I cross the street it springs open again, so today I took off my hair tie and used that to hold it shut. I think it stayed shut this time, but water might still get in. I'm just afraid someone's going to steal their mail, or their mail will get wet, or someone will think I'm trying to steal their mail whenever I shut it.
Stupid mailbox.

And, as a note to people in my school library: I am an English tutor. I teach you punctuation, grammar, and essay structure. I do not teach you to translate from Hebrew, German or Spanish to English, and I do not teach you to speak English if you do not already have functional use of the language.
Also I'm hungry.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:38 pm »
May I recommend delicious ham?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)