Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484953 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3765 on: August 28, 2009, 03:13:49 am »
Yeah, I keep seeing Bucky's posts and thinking it's Serge.

My frustration: Last Friday we were told to print out our photography final projects at a kinko's. I figure I'll wait until Thursday afternoon so I can actually pay for it. So I go in, and they tell me it'll take seven days to print out. I wouldn't have even been able to get it printed on time if I had gone in when I finished the project.
Other money frustration: The PAX three-day tickets sold out.. the day before my check came in. No PAX for me.

I'd also like to take this moment say fuck you to the people who keep getting up at 1 AM to cook when they'd just eaten dinner hardly four hours ago. They know that there are other people in this house who are asleep (and sleep deprived) who need to wake up early, yet they think that just because they're on a nocturnal cycle, it's okay for them to get up in the middle of the night and make all the noise they want. Fuck you with a rat's ass.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:45:12 am by Zephira »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3766 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:28 am »
Dalton has earned his place as a curse word amongst Chrono fans, I say...anyways...the broadband worked but didn't work. For some reason they couldn't seem to figure out exactly it wouldn't connect to the internet on my lappy...possibly due to something I did when trying to connect my lappy to my other one...I found out that it works perfectly fine on my crappy lappy though, so that's...completely useless to me...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: August 28, 2009, 05:28:10 am »
My frustration is the dynamic incompatibility between songs in my music library. I swear, there must be 50 decibels between the average volume of my quietest songs versus that of my loudest. It's always a hassle to have to fiddle with the volume controls in the utility, and it's even worse when I get caught unawares and almost go deaf and/or blow out all the glass in my apartment. But what's really maddening are those songs that are too quiet to be properly heard without turning up the master volume at the speakers, which of course will immediately have to be turned down after the song is over. In my old, two-speaker setup, that was fine, because the volume control was very responsive and it was right within reach. On my newer setup, the volume control is overly sensitive, and it's not easily within reach.

That's a completely different frustration: Knobs that have shitty middle ranges. I notice this sometimes on things like shower temperature knobs, or speaker volume knobs. You gotta turn, turn, turn to get to that sweet spot, but then, for the fine tuning, it's bullshit. A fraction of a splinter of a twist, and you jump right through the sweet range onto the other side. Golly, I hate that.

That's why old radios had fine tuning knobs. Why don't we have those anymore? Dammit. Frustration number three: Technology whose functionality is increasingly out of the user's control because, despite more controls than ever, basic controls are falling by the wayside! The people behind this need to be drug out into the street and sternly spoken to.

Frustration number four: Realizing it's 1:30 in the morning and I needed to get something done today that I didn't.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:53 am »
there, you people happy?

im frustrated because i planned on making some 'coconut shrimp' (grilled shrimp with little bits of coconut added in) for supper or lunch or something, but last night it turns out my sister had a coconut craving, so she ate the shredded coconut as a snack. there goes my mealplans...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:18 am »
Goddamn it, ZB, stop using defaults. You have a cool SN. Join the cool kids & get a rav already. Here, I made you an avy to start you out...

It's zombie Bucky with about-to-be-zombie whoever the fuck that is...Dazzler? idk...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:00:59 am by V_Translanka »

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: August 28, 2009, 11:03:22 am »
Goddamn it, ZB, stop using defaults. You have a cool SN. Join the cool kids & get a rav already. Here, I made you an avy to start you out...
whats a rav? is it that weird rotating avatar thing?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: August 28, 2009, 11:04:45 am »
Huh... I thought the name was referencing this Bucky:

As for my frustration, littering.

Seriously, what goes through a person's mind when they litter?

"Alas, I have consumed all of the potable liquids from this glass container. Verily, I could properly dispose of it but such a course of action would be unbecoming of me. I best chuck it out the window, as I am sure the birds of the air, the beasts of the field, and the thingies of the fjords will greatly welcome the sharp pointy shards. Hmm… I suppose a dog might walk over it and become wounded, or a person, but that will allow them to enjoy the experience of our fine medical system."

"Egads, I have purchased this product and now find that it is trapped in a neigh impenetrable field of plastic! I shall rip it off, stomp upon it, and ward off the evil eye so that this villainy will not follow me home!"

I actually tried to litter once, to see what it was like. I just couldn't do it, I had to go back and pick up the paper wrapper from my straw and carry with me until I found a trashcan. But I do have OCD tendencies, so this just might be one of them.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: August 28, 2009, 11:29:21 am »
whats a rav? is it that weird rotating avatar thing?

Yar...

I would've connected it to that Bucky, but I don't usually associate Get Fuzzy with zombies like I do Marvel characters now...

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: August 28, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »
Huh... I thought the name was referencing this Bucky:

As for my frustration, littering.

Seriously, what goes through a person's mind when they litter?

"Alas, I have consumed all of the potable liquids from this glass container. Verily, I could properly dispose of it but such a course of action would be unbecoming of me. I best chuck it out the window, as I am sure the birds of the air, the beasts of the field, and the thingies of the fjords will greatly welcome the sharp pointy shards. Hmm… I suppose a dog might walk over it and become wounded, or a person, but that will allow them to enjoy the experience of our fine medical system."

"Egads, I have purchased this product and now find that it is trapped in a neigh impenetrable field of plastic! I shall rip it off, stomp upon it, and ward off the evil eye so that this villainy will not follow me home!"

I actually tried to litter once, to see what it was like. I just couldn't do it, I had to go back and pick up the paper wrapper from my straw and carry with me until I found a trashcan. But I do have OCD tendencies, so this just might be one of them.

I littered one time a few days ago. Not on purpose though.

I was in a parking lot walking to my car, when the wind blew a plastic wrapper out of my hands (I had many things in my hands at the time) and I was just too damn lazy to chase it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: August 28, 2009, 02:58:37 pm »

This is all terribly fascinating from the perspective of an economics student, in a really morbid way. Everything was theory until now; now the government is playing Keynesian hardball the likes of which I never would have dreamed in a million years. And I fear that when it doesn't produce a stable recovery, it may be the death of Keynesianism. I feel that we're not going to see a double-dip recession as some economists are proposing; we're going to see a zigzag depression until we realize that our entire economic system is poorly structured vis a vis today's economic reality, and restructure appropriately.

Of all the Obama administration's Keynesian-like economic policies, the only ones that will contribute to a long-run economic recovery, IMO, are the green energy initiatives and the train transportation initiatives (I don't even know what the status of the latter is). These are infrastructural changes that will help produce an entirely new industry (in the case of green energy) to replace lost manufacturing; and in the case of train transportation, increase the efficiency of the job market by raising the average worker's job search radius.

What I'm totally appalled by most is the lack of telecommuting in the US economy. What does it account for, maybe 5% of all jobs here? If the Interstate Highway increased economic efficiency in the US, imagine what the Information Superhighway could do for us.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: August 28, 2009, 04:32:09 pm »
To me, if you're in the city, it's not really littering unless you decide to find the one spot of soil & shrubbery and dump your garbage there. Otherwise you're not going to be doing the earth/ecosystem/what-have-you any more harm than the millions of pounds/kilos/what-have-you of brick & concrete.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3776 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:08 pm »
To me, if you're in the city, it's not really littering unless you decide to find the one spot of soil & shrubbery and dump your garbage there. Otherwise you're not going to be doing the earth/ecosystem/what-have-you any more harm than the millions of pounds/kilos/what-have-you of brick & concrete.

It's still disgusting. Consider this: Would you rather live in a city that had filth lining the streets, or where you didn't have to watch your step to avoid potentially sticky, smell, and/or hazardous waste?

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:39 pm »
i hate it when people drive by the lake and toss their stuff in. its rude and inconsiderate. how would they like it if a duck came into their house and throws random things everywhere?! but that wouldnt happen, not because the duck cant get in.
but because the duck has DECENCY.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: August 28, 2009, 06:36:35 pm »
I guess I'm more of a country boy when I think about it. I'd rather not live in the city at all...unfortunately I live in the shit hole that is Tacoma, so regardless of people's litter it's still going to be an armpit.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3779 on: August 28, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »
Yeah, I hate littering too.

Man, I almost got in a car wreck a few mins ago because some dumbass didn't fasten his cart to his truck properly and it fell off into the freeway. The lady in front of me managed to avoid it somehow, but it was stuck in front of me so I had to move it off into the left hand emergency lane. I was pretty lucky, though. I thought the guy behind me hit me, but he didn't. Dealing with insurance is a pain in the neck, especially if I'm ever in fault of an accident and it manages to wreck my car. I don't have that covered.