Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 485080 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2955 on: May 26, 2009, 01:10:35 pm »
Choice number two is obviously the more moral one...

Is it? Give the pet to some other family and that means there is one less family that will adopt a pet from a shelter. One pet lives a marginally better life, another pet will probably die.

If you were a parent and fell on hard times, would you put your child up for adoption? Families (should) stick together. If you've accepted an animal into your family, that should extend to them.

Choice number two might be the more economical and logical choice, but it is at the very least not obviously the more moral one.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: May 26, 2009, 04:33:11 pm »
If you were a parent and fell on hard times, would you put your child up for adoption? Families (should) stick together. If you've accepted an animal into your family, that should extend to them.

That's an interesting hypothetical coming from you, as I would have surmised that your religious bearings prevent you from considering that a policy for humans should "extend" to other animals, as that is a very different and much stronger assertion than one which merely accommodates for pets' welfare on humanistic or obligatory grounds. Effectively you're arguing that pets are full family members. Do you actually mean that--and, if so, on what grounds--or did you simply phrase your argument incorrectly, with undue "empathy" and correspondingly deficient logical verbiage? =P

(Sorry...been watching the news today.)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:00 pm »
That's an interesting hypothetical coming from you, as I would have surmised that your religious bearings prevent you from considering that a policy for humans should "extend" to other animals, as that is a very different and much stronger assertion than one which merely accommodates for pets' welfare on humanistic or obligatory grounds. Effectively you're arguing that pets are full family members. Do you actually mean that--and, if so, on what grounds--or did you simply phrase your argument incorrectly, with undue "empathy" and correspondingly deficient logical verbiage? =P

(Sorry...been watching the news today.)

I am not sure I am fully understanding the distinction you are attempting to make. For one, I have no idea why religions would play into this one way or another, which indicates I'm not appreciating a subtlety in your statement. Could you please elaborate?

Though as for the "grounds," this would be based on the concept of community. One might define a family as a biological unit, but I would reject such a definition. A family need not be constructed entirely of biologically related components (a married couple, for example, should not share a recent common ancestor, and adopted children are family regardless of unassociated parentage). It would seem if families aren't purely biological, they must be social. To put it in an overly simplistic manner, a family is that which one defines as a family. It would appear what separates family from friends is a life-long commitment. As we see with divorces, this isn't an unbreakable bond, but the original intent is that the relationship is to last until one or the other dies. A friendship on the other hand is a bit more transitory. While certain ones might be better defined as family (as I am here using the word), for the most part they come and go.

So if we define family as those that we have made a life-long commitment to, and we accept that family need not share a specific degree of genetic similarity to our selves, it doesn't seem that much of a leap to potentially include animals in such a category (though admittedly English doesn't have the proper words to describe such a relationship).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:40 pm »
In essence, you were implying an equivalence between animals and people that is blatantly contradicted by Christian thought. Except for a few committed animal rights activists, I've never met a Christian who said that and meant it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: May 26, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
Well I won’t be going around preaching to a flock of birds, if that is what you are getting at ;)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:29 pm »
There goes my comedic material for the week. =(

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2961 on: May 26, 2009, 10:32:44 pm »
Yeah, I generally think people should not be taking in animals if they can't afford them. A friend of mine's mom has 13 cats. A couple of them died, and then she replaced them, so it's always been around 13. Well she takes them to the vet if they're sick or something, but some of them have some kind of congenital conditions that require surgery and she says they can't afford that... so then why does she keep taking in MORE cats?!

I lost 2 cats, one a couple weeks ago. They both got run over... we have one more cat and he's this little nasty feral thing who only likes my mom. I told her not to let the other cat outside, but she did anyway and he died : (. So that's my pet peeve- cats getting run over. I can't really get a cat right now, no matter how much I want one, but even if the cat enjoys going outside, I am not going to let my next cat go outside. It's just too risky. Something like 60 percent of outdoor cats get run over or dead in some way or another. Just not very good statistics.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:54 pm »
The rumor mill is saying s sequel to Xcom is coming out at long last, I am more so then anything I am a Xcom addict. This would normally be great news but its being made by the BioShock team, I don't think they can pull it off at all. All the game needs is a graphics overhaul, it has got the most clean cut gameplay of anything. It longer then most game will ever be so no new mission are needed, and its got a lot of detail that will only get lost if they try and "bring it in to the 21st century". Frankly I am scared out of my mind.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: May 27, 2009, 10:20:36 am »
As long as it has a Geoscape, a Battlescape, and aliens, it'll all be good (I hope).

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »
Is it? Give the pet to some other family and that means there is one less family that will adopt a pet from a shelter. One pet lives a marginally better life, another pet will probably die.

This argument assumes that family #2 would have adopted a pet from a shelter in the first place, and secondly that they would have chosen a pet that would not have been adopted by a subsequent family and thus euthanized. The number of animals that are euthanized in shelters is a sad statistic, but there is little way to change it except to urge people to adopt from shelters and to neuter/spay as many animals as possible.

However, I see little moral difference in my original conclusion. If the first family has a three year old labrador, the likelihood that he will fall seriously ill is remote and so the likelihood that very expensive medical treatment would be required is remote. However, what if the family cannot afford to keep him on heartworm prevention? If they can't afford that, then they probably couldn't afford to pay for the nearly $1,000 heartworm treatment if the dog contracts heartworm disease. And if they can't pay for that, then the animal would die eventually as well. Or what if the dog gets hit by a car, and the family takes him to an emergency animal clinic but can't pay the bill? In either case, they are essentially condemning their own dog to death just as they would condemn the animal from the shelter to death. There are other possibilities in these situations of course, such as signing the legal ownership of their dog over to the emergency shelter so that they would perform surgery for free but then find a new home for the dog that could take care of him better. Which is essentially what should have been done in the first place.

The choice is even more clear when you consider if the first family's pet was an old dog. The number of likely medical problems that dog will encounter that could potentially be fatal if veterinary care is not pursued is enormous. So now the moral choice becomes - do you potentially condemn your own dog to death or potentially condemn another dog to death?

So I still stand by my original point that the moral choice is clear. Come on Thought, I've heard better arguments from you  :D. Sometimes I think you argue solely for the sake of arguing because you enjoy it so much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:25:13 pm by chrono eric »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: May 27, 2009, 04:00:40 pm »
Sometimes I think you argue solely for the sake of arguing because you enjoy it so much.

That is a correct statement. 

This argument assumes that family #2 would have adopted a pet from a shelter in the first place, and secondly that they would have chosen a pet that would not have been adopted by a subsequent family and thus euthanized.

If family #2 is willing to adopt a pet from family #1, that would indicate that they are willing to forgo the one thing that buying a puppy offers over adopting a dog: the childhood of the dog. If family #2 didn't adopt the dog from family #1 they might have bought a dog, but if they are willing to not have a puppy, adoption is more likely.

As to your second point, it doesn't matter; the same argument can be applied down the line. Let us say that there are 100 families willing to adopt a dog, and there are 101 dogs in animal shelters. Family #87 adopts a dog from a family outside either group, rather than adopting from the shelter. Even if Family #88 would adopt the dog from the shelter that family #87 would adopt, at the end of the day there are two extra dogs instead of one.

The number of animals that are euthanized in shelters is a sad statistic, but there is little way to change it except to urge people to adopt from shelters and to neuter/spay as many animals as possible.

Exactly. Adopting from poor families does not change that statistic at all (unless the poor family would be forced to give up the animal to a shelter regardless, in which case one is merely cutting out the middle man).

And if they can't pay for that, then the animal would die eventually as well. Or what if the dog gets hit by a car, and the family takes him to an emergency animal clinic but can't pay the bill?

Would you agree that potential death is better than certain death? And that comparatively, a less certain death is better than a more certain death?

If so, a simple comparison of such rates should suffice. If a dog is in a shelter, how long will it have until it is put down? Let us say 1 year (which as far as I am aware, is a ludicrously generous supposition). If a dog is with a family that cannot afford proper medical treatment, how long until it dies of lack of medical care? A 3 year old lab could probably live another 4 years without any serious health problems. Do you find any of these numbers (though they are just uneducated estimates) offensive?

If not, then the comparison should speak for itself. A dog in a loving family, regardless of medical care, is better off than a dog in a shelter. It might not be the optimal state, but at its worst it is better than a shelter at its worst.

The choice is even more clear when you consider if the first family's pet was an old dog. The number of likely medical problems that dog will encounter that could potentially be fatal if veterinary care is not pursued is enormous.

Pishaw. Older dogs are always harder to adopt than younger dogs. Surrendering an older dog is more likely to result in a shortened lifespan because a loving capable family will logically go for a younger, healthier dog.

However, as has happened before, it appears that we both understand the foundations on which we are basis our arguments but are disagreeing on the significance. In this case it is, interestingly, revealing something about our natures, rather than the issue. You appear to be more willing to take risks than I am. I'd say the potential benefits of a family giving up their dog are outweighed by the risks, whereas you seem to be taking the opposite stance

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43:20 pm »
Out of about 100 people(if that) we have almost 200 pages of frustration about the world.

My response: Damn

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: May 28, 2009, 02:27:51 pm »
OOOOOIIIIIIII!!!

Drank too much last night, feelin' it today...less than pleasant.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: May 30, 2009, 06:06:05 pm »
So I've been in the hospital the past day or so because I was involved in a pretty serious car crash. Luckily, I have no broken bones - just a lot of soft tissue injury. They t-boned me on my passengers side with their large surburban and my tiny car is completely totalled. Usually my girlfriend is in the car with me at that time of night; however, right now she is on a trip. If she was in the car with me, they said she definitely would have died.

So I come to find out that the person who hit me was a 14 year old driver without a drivers liscense (obviously). Both him and his friend attempted to lie to the cop and one of them gave them a clearly false statement of events because if it happened as they said then they would have hit me on the drivers side, which they didn't. So I'm hoping it is pretty open and shut that here we have an experienced driver who has never been in an accident before recalling very clearly what happened, against the word of two high school kids without a drivers liscense (he apparently hadn't even started drivers-ed yet).

I'm just very thankful that my girlfriend wasn't with me when this happened.

However, as has happened before, it appears that we both understand the foundations on which we are basis our arguments but are disagreeing on the significance. In this case it is, interestingly, revealing something about our natures, rather than the issue. You appear to be more willing to take risks than I am. I'd say the potential benefits of a family giving up their dog are outweighed by the risks, whereas you seem to be taking the opposite stance

I would agree with this. I place significance more on the importance of preventative medical treatment while you place significance more on relative quality of life. Nothing that you said is false and nothing that I said is false. But I think that the root of our differing opinions is that I witness daily the results of not keeping up with preventative medical treatment, and often those results are a long and painful death compared to the quick and painless euthanasia that occurs at shelters. I could make an argument much along the one you did and ask you if all deaths should be considered equally significant. If one animal dies from suffering heart and kidney failure due to heartworm disease, and one dies by being humanely euthanized in an animal shelter - which is the worse death? I also understand that the shelter situation is sad and potentially impossible to solve, so I don't hold people morally accountable for not adopting from shelters if they have a choice - although I certainly suggest it. I guess I am a realist, not an idealist. Perhaps even a pessimist with a lot of things.

That said, both the current state of animal rights laws and humane treatment in animal shelters greatly depresses me. There have been huge improvements over the past few decades even, but there is still a long way to go. Because I equate all higher animal life as inherently objectively equal in value to human life, I sincerely wish that there will someday be a day when animals will not have to be euthanized in shelters, abandoned on the streets, or suffer from preventable but fatal medical conditions that would have been completely avoided had they been born as a human being. Which is one reason why I've devoted my life to the study of veterinary medicine, and not to the study of human medicine.

That and you'll never see an asshole teenage animal deliberately get behind the wheel of a car and nearly kill someone. Although I'm sure someone can find an adorable youtube video of a dog releasing an e-brake and cruising his masters car through the middle of a road.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:09:27 pm by chrono eric »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: May 30, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »
Holy cow, glad to hear you made it out of that one chrono eric.