Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 151481 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2011, 05:32:42 am »
That's... my kinda buddy!  :D We should totally get acquainted with this Charles Manson bloke.

I don't think that was what Bekkler meant...

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #661 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:16 am »
That's... my kinda buddy!  :D We should totally get acquainted with this Charles Manson bloke.

I don't think that was what Bekkler meant...
But that's totally what I mean. XD Even though I'm freaked out by potentially insane people (one mentally unstable chick once slapped me for no reason), the factor appeals to me somewhat. Gives me chills. Gives me thrills.

Insanity is an underlying theme of my novels, even though some of them are Young Adults. Thing is, when you remove insanity entirely from the equation, we cease to be human, and the world just falls apart.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:18 pm »
Well, insanity is sort of a by-product of civilization, I think. It's like rebooting with Safe Mode on so no changes can be made by the outside.

However I've never been insane so I don't know entirely. I have had some extremely unstable girlfriends, a few of whom would love to see me lose my mind, and if you became friends with someone like that, well, good luck.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »
Thing is, when you remove insanity entirely from the equation, we cease to be human, and the world just falls apart.

If you tried a little harder, you could be exactly wrong. What do you mean when you use the word "insanity"?

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »
Everest didn't get smaller for those who climbed it.  Hollywood didn't get easier for those that made it.

8/7

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »
Quote from: G.K Chesterton
The madman's explanation of a thing is always complete, and often in a purely rational sense satisfactory. Or, to speak more strictly, the insane explanation, if not conclusive, is at least unanswerable; this may be observed specially in the two or three commonest kinds of madness. If a man says (for instance) that men have a conspiracy against him, you cannot dispute it except by saying that all the men deny that they are conspirators; which is exactly what conspirators would do.

Quote from: G.K. Chesterton
Imagination does not breed insanity.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #666 on: April 14, 2011, 05:48:33 pm »
No, Bekkler, insanity isn't a by-product of civilization; it's a by-product of sentience itself.  :twisted: Which is why it excites me. But you misunderstand me; I didn't really mean you have to make friends with people like that (I meant it as a joke, by the way), and usually those who lost their marbles aren't capable of surviving on properly their own. Just saying that people like Charles are interesting.  :)

If you tried a little harder, you could be exactly wrong. What do you mean when you use the word "insanity"?
Sorry, not to offend you or anything, but you're too rational for this philosophy. xDDD And chances are, you're not going to agree with me (I can guarantee this by 87%). And you'd be right. And you'd also be wrong. Though I can provide you some quotes:
Quote from: Mark Twain
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane...

No one is sane, straight along, year in and year out, and we all know it. Our insanities are of varying sorts, and express themselves in varying forms--fortunately harmless forms as a rule.

Heaven knows insanity was disreputable enough, long ago; but now that the lawyers have got to cutting every gallows rope and picking every prison lock with it, it is become a sneaking villainy that ought to hang and keep on hanging its sudden possessors until evil-doers should conclude that the safest plan was to never claim to have it until they came by it legitimately. The very calibre of the people the lawyers most frequently try to save by the insanity subterfuge ought to laugh the plea out of the courts, one would think.
Quote from: Mark Twain - Christian Science
..we all know that in all matters of mere opinion that [every] man is insane--just as insane as we are...we know exactly where to put our finger upon his insanity: it is where his opinion differs from ours....All Democrats are insane, but not one of them knows it. None but the Republicans. All the Republicans are insane, but only the Democrats can perceive it. The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.

Quote from: Bruce Feirstein
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Quote from: Seneca
There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
Quote from: Ralph Waldo Emerson
The sanity of society is a balance of a thousand insanities.
Quote from: Jean Debuffet
For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.
Quote from: Georges Clemenceau
In order to act, you must be somewhat insane. A reasonably sensible man is satisfied with thinking.
Quote from: Henry Ward Beecher
No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
Quote from: T.S.Eliot
Where does one go from a world of insanity? Somewhere on the other side of despair.
Quote from: Winston Churchill
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Quote from: Ambrose Bierce
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Quote from: Carl Gustav Jung
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you
Quote from: Nikos Kazantzakis
A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.
Quote from: Sam Levenson
Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving birth to a child. She must be found and stopped.
Quote from: Voltaire
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
Quote from: Bill Watterson
Sometimes I think that the greatest sign that there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe is that it hasn't tried to contact us yet.

Just read up and wonder if you, or me, or anybody in this forum, is sane. *grins* Welcome to hell.

Everest didn't get smaller for those who climbed it.  Hollywood didn't get easier for those that made it.
8/7
Man, that's a rad quote! O.O"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:50:17 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #667 on: April 14, 2011, 06:10:20 pm »
Quote from: Raymond Chandler
The truth of art keeps science from becoming inhuman, and the truth of science keeps art from becoming ridiculous.
And Da Vinci really NU this! :wink:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »
I await your actual definition of "insanity."

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #669 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:27 am »
Insanity is of the disturbed, unsound mind. Insanity is an abnormal, unhealthy behavior. Insanity defies logic; it doesn't make sense. Insanity is different from what you observe in society, still making no sense. Insanity is psychotic, and sometimes violent. Insanity pertains to seeing things that do not exist. Insanity is imagination at its best, an imagination that tends to overpower you. Thrill you. Control you. Control the world. Insanity has controlled decisions that hold no logical grounds, despite the intellect of the one making them. Insanity has ordered the slaughter of many, for the sake of the weird feeling it gets. Insanity has provoked art and literature in the weirdest fashions that the author almost believed his fiction, and that fiction ended up being adapted into various films reaping riches off the story that doesn't belong to them. The insane wasn't rewarded; that's insanity. Morality has no specification: that's insanity. Insanity is the urge to fall when you know you're safe. Insanity is walking into the fire, challenging fate. Insanity is boundless, overpowering, ever-consuming, always struggling and striving to break its cages. And be free.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #670 on: April 16, 2011, 05:54:34 pm »
Quote from: H.P. Lovecraft
Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2011, 07:17:37 pm »
Quote from: H.P. Lovecraft
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal."

Translation: Err... something about the difference between intelligence and imagination, or something like that. But whatever, I already use my imagination a lot.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #672 on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:21 pm »
Quote from: Paul Klee
Colour is the place where our brain and the universe meet.

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 30, 2011, 05:48:10 pm »
Quote from: a Frank Zappa interview
"Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?'

Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #674 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:04 pm »
Someone pointed me at 27b/6 website and I'm loving it to death.

I am not answering my mobile phone at the moment as I am experiencing iPhone envy and every second spent using my Nokia is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. Where you stay together for the kids. And the kids all have iPhones.

I read somewhere that a healthy breakfast helps concentration and have found, since replacing my usual diet of nicotine with froot loops, I am able to move small objects with my mind.

I have been collecting lego blocks for nearly four years now as I intend to build my own home. I currently have exactly 1,692,008 blocks of various sizes and only need another 4,836,029 to complete plans of constructing a four bedroom home with sunken lounge and indoor swimming pool. Prior plans to build a home from seawater were abandoned due to physics.
The advantages of using lego blocks over traditional building methods, in regards to durability and gaiety of colour, are without question. The only issues are finding a block of land that has a flat green plastic base.

I read somewhere once that cockroaches can survive a nuclear attack so I have been collecting the dead ones and intend to glue several thousand to the walls thereby ensuring my survival should Cyberdyne Systems become self aware between now and when the lease runs out.

I just assumed you have cane furniture, doesn’t everybody? Cane is possibly one of the most renewable natural resources we have after plastic, it is not only strong but lightweight and attractive. Every item in my apartment is made of cane, including my television. It looks like the one from Gilligan’s Island but is in colour of course.