Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336995 times)

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1920 on: November 12, 2009, 04:36:37 pm »
And for this affront against good taste, it shall be to the pain.
i love you mr thought. may i keep you as my intellectual monkey? i can feed you peanuts and whenever i need a witty comeback i can snap my fingers and there youll be.
(joking but i love that princess bride reference. my sister made me watch it.)
i love my family. weve finally gotten over the loss of our last pet, so we are going to the shelter today to find another animal companion. megan wants a cat to curl up with and read books with (she just wants to see if they really land on their feet). pat wants a snake to let loose on the world (snakes scare me). dad wants a fish. i dont know why we're going to a shelter if he wants a fish. i would like something to snuggle with when im sad.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 12, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »
We made the steak together and it was delicious! A preheated oven at 340 deg. F. in a pan (15 minutes) and some impromptu marinade of lemon juice, garlic and thousand island dressing (don't knock it!) made those puppies tender and wondrous! Plus some doctored up steamfresh and bob evans. We were both amazed with how well it turned out. Thanks for the argument/attempted suggestion anyway!
When a hurricane isn't blowing my building down, we'll try the grill.

Oh yeah. And she made breakfast for me this morning. :-) Delight!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:21:08 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20:24 pm »
Ah, every day that passes, I am loving much more and more.

Today, we slept, her head upon my shoulder, as we listened to relaxing Japanese music upon our bus. Not to mention, startled everyone ****less when they found out we are together.

I have no darkness anymore. I am content. I am enlightened.  :kamina

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:13 am »
I love Iron Man. He very well may be the best superhero ever.

... whenever i need a witty comeback i can snap my fingers and there youll be.

Meh, considering that most my comebacks are just references to pop culture (or cult culture, on occasion), I am sure someone knowledgeable in the ways of computers could replace me with a very small shell script. But thanks anywho.

...we are going to the shelter today to find another animal companion.

I would highly recommend Siamese (as they tend to be among the more friendly of the cats) or a corgi (intelligent, big dog mentality, but small enough for lap pettings and cuddlings)

The fact that I own a Siamese (mix) and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi have nothing to do with the above statement, I assure you.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 13, 2009, 03:37:36 pm »

I love Iron Man. He very well may be the best superhero ever.

I beg to differ, Thought.  I believe Superman to be the best superhero ever.

Clark Kent lives a modest life making a living off of investigative journalism.  He never compromises his integrity or suspend his values even in the face of the worst dilemma, be it domestic or super-villanous. He lost everything when he was but an infant, but he gained so much in return.

Tony Stark, on the other hand, is a millionaire play-boy who relies on his expensive technology to fight against the enemies he had a hand in making.  Plus, he has a bit of a drinking problem.

But that's how I saw both of the latest movies of both heroes.  What says you?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:05 pm »
Clark Kent lives a modest life making a living off of investigative journalism.  He never compromises his integrity or suspend his values even in the face of the worst dilemma, be it domestic or super-villanous. He lost everything when he was but an infant, but he gained so much in return.

That is actually why he is one of the worst superheroes. He is, essentially, perfect. He isn't human, he doesn't struggle with human flaws, and he doesn't overcome any such faults. He was essentially born into the role of a superhero.

Iron Man, on the other hand, is very human, struggling against his own vices and working to improve a world that he has had a hand in ruining. He wasn't "born" a super hero, he made himself into one through his human intelligence.

Superman is the aristocrat of the Super Hero world. He's better than the average human because he just is. He has no particular motivation for doing good, but that is okay because he knows what's best.

Iron Man is the revolutionary of the Super Hero world. He's not better than the average human, he's just driven enough to aspire to more. He's motivated to do good because he's seen the darkness in humanity's heart and he must drive it back. Iron Man acts on what he thinks is best, but he isn't always right. He is, however, willing to change (as nicely symbolized by his armor).

EDIT: Also, the live-action Iron Man movie soundtrack totally kicks the ass of any and all Superman Movie soundtracks (animated or live action).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:07:07 pm by Thought »

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1926 on: November 13, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »
I posit that Batman is better than both of them. He has the charisma of Tony Stark, with the morals of Superman. Moreover, like Stark himself, he proves that ordinary human beings can transcend their limits.

ItsJustSomeRandomGuy on Youtube has an entertaining series devoted to this(although, if you're a fan of Ironman, it might not be the best series).

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 13, 2009, 04:51:13 pm »
we have a beautiful st. bernard now. his name is rasputin (my sister is learning about him now and thinks the name is awesome) but we call him razz. hes a big mush of an animal that loves to jump on people. i think that he thinks hes a chihuahua and wants to be held by the cuddly people. i was not expecting this when we opened up his cage at the shelter.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 13, 2009, 06:30:35 pm »
That is actually why he is one of the worst superheroes. He is, essentially, perfect. He isn't human, he doesn't struggle with human flaws, and he doesn't overcome any such faults. He was essentially born into the role of a superhero.

Who said he was perfect?  He's a Kryptonian, a superior form of the human race.  Not perfect, but superior.  Also, the Smallville series has shown that he, like any other adolescent growing up, faces the same troubles that humans do (though in this case, it's not puberty or career choices, but his developing powers).  Nonetheless, he learned to overcome them. 

It's not like he woke up one morning after a life-altering experience and said, "You know what?  I'm gonna save the day and make the world a better place for a change." That's exactly what Tony Stark did (metaphorically).  Clark Kent, on the other hand, picked up his altruism by instinct, not by motivation.

Iron Man, on the other hand, is very human, struggling against his own vices and working to improve a world that he has had a hand in ruining. He wasn't "born" a super hero, he made himself into one through his human intelligence.

This raises two interesting questions:

1. Do you need super-human abilities to be a super hero?
2. Can you buy super-human abilities?

Superman is the aristocrat of the Super Hero world. He's better than the average human because he just is. He has no particular motivation for doing good, but that is okay because he knows what's best.

In this case, the definition of aristocrat means "anything regarded as the best, most elegant, or most stylish of its kind."  I don't know if Clark Kent was aiming for elegant or stylish with his choice of suit and crime-fighting tactics, but Tony Stark has it in the department of stylish.

Superman believes that justice is the norm (for lack of a better word) of the universal order of things.  He has also demonstrated an ability to regularly exercise mercy when confronted with his enemies, a trait that Tony Stark doesn't share.

EDIT: Also, the live-action Iron Man movie soundtrack totally kicks the ass of any and all Superman Movie soundtracks (animated or live action).

Opinion.  I like the works of John Williams much better, anyway.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 13, 2009, 06:53:57 pm »
He's a Kryptonian, a superior form of the human race.  Not perfect, but superior.  Also, the Smallville series has shown that he, like any other adolescent growing up, faces the same troubles that humans do (though in this case, it's not puberty or career choices, but his developing powers).  Nonetheless, he learned to overcome them.

Ah, well if we are working with non-standard realities, then the Ultimate Iron Man out does Supes again, since that one grew up with the morals that regular Iron Man "woke up" to one morning. Though, he is also more “super” than regular Tony.

But you bring up an interesting point. Superman is inherently racist. Or more seriously, superman is something that no human could aspire to. But Iron Man, he is something that you could aspire to be, and succeed.

This raises two interesting questions:

1. Do you need super-human abilities to be a super hero?
2. Can you buy super-human abilities?

Considering that Iron Man counted under the Superhero Registration Act, or whatever that thingy was called, #1 would seem to be yes, in which case yes, you can buy super-human abilities (such as Iron Man's armor).

Bats is an interesting case because while Wayne's "power" is that he is rich (whereas Tony's is that he is a genius, which made him rich), batman lacks all fantastical elements (except for the old live action TV series). Is Batman a Superhero? If so, then perhaps what makes a superhero a superhero isn't their powers but their bravery. Supes is brave at times, but not on a daily basis. When the only things that can hurt you are your home and magic, there isn't must of a personal risk in saving people. Iron Man, thus, would be more of a superhero since he is just a fragile, breakable human being. Bats, however, more so.

And Batman does have the best rogues gallery out of all three. Sure, Lex is cool (particularly the Smallville version), but beyond that... meh.

He has also demonstrated an ability to regularly exercise mercy when confronted with his enemies, a trait that Tony Stark doesn't share.

Again, because Tony is human. Also, Doomsday. What was Superman’s reason for fighting him again (or indeed, Doomsday's reason for fighting Superman)?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 13, 2009, 08:53:05 pm »
Superheroes never appealed to me, not one and not the other. I rather admire people who get the job done without needing to be heroes, like Joe Friday.

I love our climate here in the Pacific Northwest. I spent over 90 minutes watching the western skies during twilight this morning. First there was just the slightest tint of blue in the sky, so subtle I almost missed it. But it got lighter by the minute, until I could see the form of the sky. Quite a form it was, because with clouds covering the Sound it looked like Seattle was on the edge of the world...beyond which there be dragons. I watched the wind blow leaves from a tree. I watched the daylight slowly overpower the city lights. It finally got bright enough that the clouds were showing up clearly, and I could make out all their pockets and folds in the gray light. You can only see light like that during sunset or sunrise of an overcast day. Eventually the hills beyond the Sound made their appearance, and the construction crane strobe lights came on, and by this time the city was in full swing and morning was underway.

The skies were clear this evening. I missed the sunset by less than a minute. I had been in the shower, and when I came out I saw that it had just dipped below a cloud. Ah, well...c'est la vie. It'll be back.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 13, 2009, 11:10:53 pm »
I love the latest Smallville episode. Best one I've seen in a long time. Very Superman. 8)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:01 pm »

I mentioned earlier that Superman held the belief that justice was the norm.

What I meant to say was that he holds the belief that "order" is the norm.

Batman and Iron Man, on the other hand, believe that entropy is the norm.

As for a rogues gallery, I'll give that one to Batman.  Iron man, on the other hand, has a bit of catching up to do in the villains department.

I wouldn't start comparing Superman and Batman to each other (I have an innate fear of geeking out), and I'm not talking about "Who would win if they fought each other"?  Instead, I offer this page for your perusal:

http://polaris.umuc.edu/~vrau/MainPage.html

Sadly enough, it's the best page I can find on impartially comparing the two.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:53 am »
I can't see how Captain America is getting left out of this whole thing!?! I put him at the exact same tier as Batman, and that is the best hero in comic/movie/stories.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:31 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBABNL-DDM

As the YouTube comment says, he's a real Renaissance mate all right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dickinson

Paul Bruce Dickinson (born 7 August 1958) is an English singer, TV presenter, airline pilot, radio show host, record producer, fencer, author, and songwriter best known as the vocalist of the metal band Iron Maiden.

Hell yeah! Anyone whose life story begins with a sentence like that is OK in my book! And then there's this:

In his personal life, he is known for his strict abstinence from drug use.

<3