Author Topic: Is Guile an amnesiac post-CTDS Magus?  (Read 12674 times)

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Guile an amnesiac post-CTDS Magus?
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2008, 01:22:20 am »
This thread is a black hole of over-analysis.

Eclipse Magus is post-Trigger Magus. Why should he be anything more? Kato is not out to confuse us even more than he has to.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2008, 01:32:58 am »
To me, it's just a matter of personal beliefs. I think it was ether Schala or dd that erased his mind (Schala would do it so he could go on living without worrying about her). And rd Kid and Schala are not the same thing. How and in what circumstances in which a person grew up can determine their personality. It's not like killing one and letting the other live, it's choosing which one exists. And LavosFan, I did try and address his points to come up with a motive and reason that the dd existed in rd
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:38:48 am by mikeb123 »

Umaro

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:25 pm »

Eclipse Magus is post-Trigger Magus. Why should he be anything more? Kato is not out to confuse us even more than he has to.

Aren't there, in theory, two post-Trigger Magus, though? Radical Dreamers is still post-Trigger; it just happened in a different dimension. I think the accepted theory is it's a dimension in which Crono was never revived.

I mean, I get what you're saying, and you're probably right. There is no reason for Eclipse Magus to be Magil. The only basis for it is his change in personality, but honestly, we don't know from how far in the future Eclipse Magus came. He could have just naturally matured that way.

Additionally, since Chrono Cross effectively accomplished what Radical Dreamers set out to do(tie up loose ends in CT), there's no reason that RD should be reintroduced to what is considered canon. RD is just a sort of sidestory now.

So, yes, I concede that point, but I still think they're trying to make a Magus to Guile connection.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2008, 02:21:05 pm »
So you're saying rather than helping out Schala's "reincarnation", the goddamn Magus would pout about it not being exactly the same, go to a completely different dimension (since in Magil's one, Schala didn't need saving), then commit mental suicide when it didn't work out this time, even though he's shown to have failed tons of times and still persevere?

It's not the fact that he fails again that he commits mental seppuku, it's that he has been trying to do the impossible this whole time, and when he realizes this fact, he commits mental seppuku.

EDIT: Had to put in the quote.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:29:22 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2008, 02:38:29 pm »
So you're saying rather than helping out Schala's "reincarnation", the goddamn Magus would pout about it not being exactly the same, go to a completely different dimension (since in Magil's one, Schala didn't need saving), then commit mental suicide when it didn't work out this time, even though he's shown to have failed tons of times and still persevere?

Moreover, Schala told him right in his face. Imagine you've been struggling so many years of your life saving someone, and everytime failing. And then to top it off, the person you're trying to save tells you in your face you don't and will never have the power to save him/her.

Seriously, I understand the guy's logic. All this time he thought what he was doing would pay off, only to get his last remnants of hope shattered by the person he tried to save.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2008, 04:07:10 pm »

It just seems to simple to be what Kato had planned. The cannon endings of both games were implimented to really make you go crazy over trying to think of what really happened and neither of them give a direct answer to what happened. It's possible, but it just seems to obvious to be a Chrono ending.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:12:57 pm by mikeb123 »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »
I would say all y'all have smoked yourselves retarded but I really wouldn't put it past Kato at this point.

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:17 pm »
I have no idea how the connection has been made between DBT Magus and RD Magus, simply because he has a couple extra lines that make him seem too talkative. Then there is the matter of Schala stating that she was sending the party back to their own time, why then would she not say "I'm sending you some completely different dimension"?  It seems more logical that rather then DBT Magus' dimension line alluding to him being from an alternate time-line, that it is simply a method of explaining how Magus could be there if the party had killed him at the cape. His existence fits perfectly as Magus from the time between CT and CC.

Magus looks for Schala, somehow learns of her location, opens a portal to DBT (or perhaps even uses the pre-existing one at TEoT), fails, has his memory erased (by either himself or Schala) and is sent into some forest, now becoming who we know as Guile.

I see no problems with such an explanation.   

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2008, 09:42:20 pm »
The reason Schala wouldn't have said that was because she had a limited time before dd regained control of her. And all I'm doing is suggesting alternatives because things aren't that obvious in a Chrono game ending. 

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2008, 10:23:05 pm »
No, they are not obvious, but they also never pull stuff out of thin air. They never so much as hint that Magus is from RD time-line, so why then would that be the case?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:49 pm »
Jesus, Nezz, it's just a f***ing theory. If you can prove Eclipse Magus is not Magil from RD, WITHOUT using the fact that it was never mentioned, then we'll scrap the "Eclipse-Magus-Is-Magil-From-Radical-Dreamers" theory. Otherwise, begone, for there is no point in staying.

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2008, 10:47:45 pm »
This is apparently going to become bickering, so I'll just point out what sums up the RD Magus theory and leave it at that.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2008, 11:37:07 pm »
You know I bet Crono is actually Leena and Serge's child from an alternate future sent back to the past to fight Lavos and set up the events for Kid to be born.

I mean, they never say he ISN'T.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2008, 11:43:26 pm »
Maggie, where in the seven Hells did you come up with that?

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2008, 11:46:37 pm »
You know I bet Crono is actually Leena and Serge's child from an alternate future sent back to the past to fight Lavos and set up the events for Kid to be born.

I mean, they never say he ISN'T.

Note the sarcasm.