Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 81631 times)

Celestial Insanity

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:02 pm »
I don't disagree with that at all. No game is perfect. I wasn't trying to imply that CC didn't need character development so much as simply attempting to point out that I don't think the lack of it necessarily makes a character a "worthless pawn"; that characterization, rather, is the true necessity in avoiding such a label. I also don't think the flaw of lacking it was as large as some have made it out to be, but I fully agree that adding character development would certainly improve the game.

Personally, in the case with CC, my main problems stem from difficulty as I've mentioned earlier. At times, there were some pretty tough bosses, while at other times, the game was unbearably easy. I also had a few qualms with the accent system because I found it a little annoying and, in certain instances, kind of difficult to understand.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:17:22 pm by Celestial Insanity »

Vagrant

• Iokan (+1)
  • rocket surgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2008, 07:28:27 am »
I voted Other. I'd want a completely different story. The only things I'd really want to keep would be a resolution for Schala, the idea of going to an alternate world where you had died and the idea of the "dead" timeline.

My other choices in order of priority from what was there would've been:
1. Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
2. Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
3. Eliminate all the funny accents.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »
I agree with (1) and (3) wholeheartedly. It was annoying trying to get what characters I could so I could assemble the perfect 3-man team (with Serge in the lead as always) with so many people to choose from. The accents kept me from being able to fully understand what the hell they were saying, though often times it wasn't hard.

For (2) I would propose even the NPCs from CT (Gina, Gaspar, Melchior, King Guardia, Fritz, etc.) would appear, not just those from the Seven (Crono [YES, TEAFLOWER VAGRANT, CRONO] and the rest).

On a personal note, they should give Miguel a happy ending. He can show up on Opassa Beach, having found himself at the entrance to the Sea of Eden in 1010 AD with his memories (of his imprisonment and the encounter with Serge at Nadia's Bell) still there, and has lived his life in Arni ever since.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong person. My bad, teaflower.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:11:16 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:11 pm »
I'm sorry, but I just don't have any remorse for Miguel.  I WAS STUCK ON HIM FOR MONTHS!  He can stay dead for all I care.  Same goes for Garai.  Although I didn't have quite so much trouble on him.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2008, 02:51:23 pm »
It's not a matter of remorse. Look at him. He had one of the most tragic stories in the whole damn game, next to Kid!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2008, 02:58:46 pm »
Nah, the music just makes it sound more tragic than it actually is...It's like the mirrors on cars "images may be closer than they appear"....>_>

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2008, 03:03:05 pm »
Miguel was probably one of the easiest characters to feel sorry for, if you ask me--he really didn't gain anything out of what he and Wazuki did, and he's just sitting there unaffected by time, left alone in his own misery. And the music...holy shit, that's one of the more powerful songs in the game...it was distressing.

But that fight was a bitch, so all my empathy faded away.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »
Miguel wasn't hard for me, and I hoped he would get out alive like Serge and company. If I could change something in Chrono Cross, having Miguel survive would be one of those changes.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:56 pm »
Miguel's fight wasn't as hard as it was arduous, I just remember it taking forever during my first play through--his fight separated the boys from the men, at least in my case--but regardless, he seemed like an interesting character and I wouldn't have been surprised to see him take on a more active role in the greater scheme of things...

If there were any characters that could have easily been developed more, I'd say Miguel (and by extension Leena) would be one of 'em.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2008, 05:31:49 pm »
Miguel wasn't hard for me, and I hoped he would get out alive like Serge and company. If I could change something in Chrono Cross, having Miguel survive would be one of those changes.

Hey, Sarge, did you see this?

On a personal note, they should give Miguel a happy ending. He can show up on Opassa Beach, having found himself at the entrance to the Sea of Eden in 1010 AD with his memories (of his imprisonment and the encounter with Serge at Nadia's Bell) still there, and has lived his life in Arni ever since.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2008, 06:55:23 pm »
Yes, but instead, I would make him join you.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2008, 07:54:16 pm »
Ooh, that's even better. We should make a hack in which he does join up after he is defeated in the Dead Sea.

The Entity

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
If they re-released Chrono Cross...
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:47 am »
...with new features, what kind of features would you like added?

I'd like:

1. A treasure atlas
2. A bestiary
3. A music box
4. An ending log (one that actually let you watch any endings you unlocked, whenever you want)
5. A new dungeon or two, or at least a few more sidequests (even without those added, though, it would be fine, because there's already plenty to do in the game)
6. Some more backstory to resolve any remaining questions regarding the fate of Crono, Marle, and Lucca, the rise of Porre, etc.
7. A new character or two might be cool, too

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: If they re-released Chrono Cross...
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2008, 01:36:33 am »
Maybe new dual/triple skills.
Ah, and I'm more curious about Magus's fate.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2008, 01:49:09 am »
Miguel's fight wasn't as hard as it was arduous, I just remember it taking forever during my first play through--his fight separated the boys from the men, at least in my case--but regardless, he seemed like an interesting character and I wouldn't have been surprised to see him take on a more active role in the greater scheme of things...

If there were any characters that could have easily been developed more, I'd say Miguel (and by extension Leena) would be one of 'em.

Me too, I tried many times to defeat him. But I really enjoy the music and background. The first boss fight which slayed my party was the dwarves, but that was just because I was not careful enough(HihoChorus). Miguel is another thing, he's really tough for a newbie. XD