Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484790 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6225 on: October 11, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »
Ah, ok wait. I figured you were being metaphorical and/or facetious with the "second coming" stuff. That...really does suck that you were introduced to the guy's work in that way. I think the closest I can come to that with the Harry Potter thing is someone telling me I was a dumbass for not liking it. It's not the same, but, in the end, you really can't compete with people claiming that an author is the new Jesus.

I don't know. In my experience he seems to be one of the more overlooked contemporary epic writers, especially compared to Tolkien and Asimov(both of whom I once had someone tell me that you can't be a true "nerd" without reading them) so I guess it was kind of weird hearing that(or, reading that, whatever) and it not being metaphorical.  :?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: October 11, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
Man, I wish I were being metaphorical.  I just grew up in a super religious environment.

That is crazy that you think he's overlooked.  I cannot comprehend that because I grew up with people constantly talking about how awesome Lewis was and how he was better than any other contemporary writer.  Maybe you should have gone to my high school and college.  I assure you he was not overlooked there at all.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6227 on: October 12, 2011, 01:20:29 am »
However, being a respected theologian does not put you on the same level as people who wrote the Bible.

Oh, it does to me. "Enemies of the state", as I call them.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: October 12, 2011, 01:33:00 am »

Same here.  They're all the same to me.  When I said that I was approaching it from a Christian standpoint to help him understand where I was coming from, since Truthordeal is a Christian.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:24 am »
Uhm...why the fuck can't I download stuff anymore?  It worked with the finale of Doctor Who, but now I can't download anything else.  ><

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:07 am »
@Sajinta: The obvious techie questions to ask (which you can ignore if you were just venting) are:

Download from where?
Using what software (browser/browser extension/download manager/whatever)?
Have you changed anything (settings, system or software upgrades) since the last time this worked?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: October 12, 2011, 11:51:35 am »
I figured it out, but thank you for offering to help.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6232 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:06 pm »
Language impressions are weird. For instance, in Urdu the term "Tenhaai" (pronounced "Tun-haa-ee") has a mix of poetic, solace (comforting) and mildly negative connotation, but the equivalent "Loneliness" (which has the exact same definition) has an absolute negative connotation. It's so confusing.

There's a good chance someone might bite onto soap thinking it's a sandwich.

And I despise it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »

Same here.  They're all the same to me.  When I said that I was approaching it from a Christian standpoint to help him understand where I was coming from, since Truthordeal is a Christian.

Oh, I know, haha. Just taking the opportunity to vent...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6234 on: October 13, 2011, 07:23:27 am »
Powercuts. Everyday. 6 hours straight each day.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:07 am »
I wish I were better at drawing.  I have so many fantastic art ideas and comic ideas and I would LOVE to illustrate scenes from the stories I'm writing.  But alas, I can't draw.  :/  And I would never ask someone to draw for me because they'd get everything wrong, dammit.  :P

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6236 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
I wish I were better at drawing.  I have so many fantastic art ideas and comic ideas and I would LOVE to illustrate scenes from the stories I'm writing.  But alas, I can't draw.  :/  And I would never ask someone to draw for me because they'd get everything wrong, dammit.  :P
XD Try Storyboarding, Character Sheets and Visual Scripting methods. You can't go wrong with those.

Of course, did you think about taking tips from artists? You can always find what fits your needs, and there's also references, stick figure planning. 

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:13 pm »
I've taken art classes (both in high school and in college) and both of my brothers are superb artists and I've asked them for help.  It hasn't really worked.  Some people just suck at drawing, just like some people just suck at math (like me).

Frustration::  I really want to find a friend who shares my sense of humour.  I have a highly inappropriate sense of humour when it comes to certain things, and most people just don't get that.  My ex-best friend was the only person I have ever met who laughed at my inappropriate comments, and I miss that so much.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:21:05 pm by Sajainta »

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: October 14, 2011, 01:49:18 am »
*sigh* Things are not looking so good on the work front...

I'm a writer. The Company approves us to work for various categories, including a general category. The work available in the general categories has dried up to exactly zero (which, for a lot of the people there, is extremely bad news). In the two specialized categories I write for, the work is on fast decline with no new work showing up. (And this is keeping in line with an announcement The Company made a few days ago, too... Ugh.)

Perhaps this is all a bit of paranoia, and there will be a last minute gush of work available. However, given the state of the economy, I am not optimistic (but then again, it's been pointed out to me before that I have a tendency to jump to the worst conclusions possible in a sticky situation... so I HOPE that I'm just being paranoid).

Either way, this means RW is going to be doing a lot of extra work in the very near future. If the work isn't going to be there in a few months when I need it, then my only choice is to do the extra work now!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: October 14, 2011, 02:47:08 am »
RW, if you're looking for a possible lateral transfer, I hear indie game journalist sites are surprisingly easy to get into right now. If the idea intrigues you and all you've got is a PC, you may look into sites covering the Steam platform, or PC games in general. The biggest sites should pay; how well, that's the question. I suspect turnover is pretty high even at the big sites, because writers presumably get paid on a per-article basis, with game playthrough time going uncompensated. Then again, maybe it's the same deal with the research time you have to put into your current job?

Just an idea in case you're keeping an eye out for suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:48:57 am by FaustWolf »