Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484810 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2160 on: February 25, 2009, 01:52:53 am »
When you do, be sure to post his reaction. Or video tape it.
Was he talking with somebody, or just rambling to himself?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: February 25, 2009, 02:14:04 am »
He was talking to his date, or whatever she was.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: February 25, 2009, 12:24:41 pm »
People like that always annoy me.

I think I'm taking too much medicine. My cough is getting a little better, but now I feel really out of it, I can't make sense in my own head, and there's this pain focused a little above and behind my left eye.

Fun.

In case you haven't noticed, I hate being sick.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: February 25, 2009, 02:05:20 pm »
Don't worry Z.  In eight years people will be just as fed up and sick of the Democrats fucking up the government as they are of the Republicans fucking up the government right now.  Because they both are self serving piles of shit.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Really? That is what you're hoping?

While I'm a Republican, I'd much rather people not be fet up and sick of the Democrats fucking up the government. Why? Because I'd much rather the government not be fucked up at all. I'd generally prefer moderate Republicans (and moderate Democrats) to do the not-fucking-up, but at least if the not-fucking-up gets done, then the time in power wasn't a waste.

Though respond to the original comment about Republicans not being fiscally responsible over the last 8 years, one will note that the Democrats controlled the Legislative branch of the government for last 2 years. In short, they had a lot of control regarding the national budget. While being irresponsible for 2 years is better than being irresponsible for 6 years, either way it is about as good as a swift kick to the groin. Of course, the Republicans were fairly good for the 6 years preceding G.W., given that it was then that the nation last saw a decrease in both deficit and debt.

Hmm... it is almost like the issue of fiscal responsibility can’t be cut down party lines...
That's more what I meant by that.  I wasn't very clear on that.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: February 25, 2009, 02:28:54 pm »
People like that always annoy me.

I think I'm taking too much medicine. My cough is getting a little better, but now I feel really out of it, I can't make sense in my own head

Yeah, some cough medicine will do that to you, especially cough medicine containing the drug dextromethorphan (DXM). Take enough of that, and you will have an intense dissociative trip. Which is why, I believe, that many schools across the country are not allowed to give cough medicine to kids anymore. What are they gonna do next - ban recess?

I say that humorously, but the elementary school I went to school at in Attleboro, Mass. actually did ban recess for awhile. It was all over the news. Or maybe it was tag. That's right, I think they banned tag. Idiots.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: February 25, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
... what? No tag? I can understand those icky cans of TAG, because those are gross, but... the game tag where you're IT? I could actually sort of understand that. One kid is pokier than all the others, thus is always IT. He feels like he's not as good as the others, so he complains to his overprotective mother. She calls the school and says that tag is emotionally scarring her pokey little kid, so to make her shut the hell up about it, they ban tag for a while.

... I dunno. But I just looked it up and the Globe has something to say about it. Apparently, they're afraid of injury. If they're afraid of injury and liability to the school, then don't bring children in. They will find a way to hurt themselves. Here is the article.

I've been taking DayQuil, as well as the cough medicine, for two days now. And... yeah, there's DXM in it. Fun.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:53:38 pm by teaflower »

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #2166 on: February 25, 2009, 08:00:37 pm »
My Elementary school banned tag because apparently we were being hurt, although we really weren't. We didn't care. We played anyways.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: February 25, 2009, 08:04:11 pm »
Yeah, they were afraid of injury or something. You've got to be fucking kidding me. When we were kids in Mass, we used to have ice fights. Not snow fights - but ice fights. We didn't stop until we all were bleeding. And it was good fun dammit. *grumble* Kids these days with their hippity-hop and their music television...*grumble*

I've been taking DayQuil, as well as the cough medicine, for two days now. And... yeah, there's DXM in it. Fun.

Ha, my encyclopedia-like knowledge of psychoactive chemicals comes in handy again. Just don't take too much of it, otherwise you'll go from feeling a bit stoned to:

-dissociation of mind from body
-pupil dilation
-visual and aural hallucinations
-decreased sexual functioning
-feeling of merging with adjacent objects such as a couch or a bed*
-tachycardia
-vomiting
-diarrhea

*this ones always the most disturbing experience that dissociatives produce in my opinion. Kids these days...

However, you would have to take quite a lot to acheive these effects. But I've known people that did it accidentally just because they were trying to get rid of a particularly bad cough. And, if you are taking an MAO-I or a SSRI for depression it amplifies the effects of DXM. Just fyi there.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:08:48 pm by chrono eric »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2168 on: February 25, 2009, 08:09:32 pm »
chrono eric, do you have any personal experience with Modafinil?

Like I've said in other threads, I...wouldn't really do this kind of thing, but man, I've been reading an awful lot about it and it sounds like a priceless gateway to lucidity.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: February 25, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
... tachycardia? That doesn't sound good at all. Looks like... something with the heart. I don't take MAO-Is. I'm not even sure what they are. And the feeling of merging with adjacent objects... sounds... freaky man. Just freaky. But... cool in a way.

I'm feeling good enough to take myself off of the cough syrup and DayQuil. Though it feels like I'm hacking up a lung. I think it might be bronchitis. Not fun. But hey, better than strep. ... dammit! Now my throat's sore again.

Ugh.

I'm going to school tomorrow, no matter what. Missed too much school, have a paper to turn in, notes to get, homework to get... plus, I need those sick days!

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »
chrono eric, do you have any personal experience with Modafinil?

Like I've said in other threads, I...wouldn't really do this kind of thing, but man, I've been reading an awful lot about it and it sounds like a priceless gateway to lucidity.

Ah, Modafinil. Quite the wonder drug, isn't it? Effective for everything from weight loss to alleviating some of the neurological symptoms of MS. I do not have any "personal experience" with it, since it is a practice of mine to not use mind-altering drugs to alleviate transient problems (such as fatigue) for the long term. I don't even drink caffeine anymore. Nor do I know anybody that has used it for that purpose. And as for using it for entheogenic purposes...it seems to have little promise for that, so I have no interest in it in those regards.

If you want to research it further, I always recommend Erowid. Everything from media reports to accounts of personal use can be found there. It's populated by people ready and willing to be human guinea pigs. Psychonauts much more daring than yours truly:

http://www.erowid.org/smarts/modafinil/

But I do find it interesting from a chemical standpoint. It is a stimulant, but not an amphetamine (although the "tail" is vaguely like one). It promotes wakefulness by increasing levels of histamine in the hypothalamus, which is interesting to me because the diphenyl group resembles that of the structure of diphenhydramine (benadryl) which decreases histamine levels. The sulfur group connected to this part of the molecule in Modafinil serves the same elecronegative purpose as the oxygen that is present in diphenhydramine. So that part of the molecule should behave biochemically similar to diphenhydramine. And the "tail" of it is just...unique. Completely different from diphenhydramine electrochemically and yet at the same time reminiscent of it. The effects of Modafinil are probably produced by that part of the molecule. Very strange chemical indeed. /End rambling chemistry talk

... tachycardia? That doesn't sound good at all. Looks like... something with the heart. I don't take MAO-Is. I'm not even sure what they are. And the feeling of merging with adjacent objects... sounds... freaky man. Just freaky. But... cool in a way.

Tachycardia is an elevated heartrate above normal levels. Many drugs can produce tachycardia. It's not that big of the deal if it is only slightly above normal and for a short time.

And merging with adjacent objects is incredibly freaky. Often one will feel as if they are melting into them. As your mind is dissociating from your body and you are losing your sense of self your brain starts to associate identity with objects other than your body. LSD is famous for this, and so is Salvia. It is scary, but it can also be enlightening. The brain can do amazing things when it is freed from its normal constraints.

This is often the goal of intense meditation and sensory-deprivation chambers as well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:04:34 am by chrono eric »

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: February 25, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »
I saw something about the sensory deprivation chambers. On TV. I think GMA.

This isn't good. I'm really really hungry, but I can't seem to eat. I feel very nauseous and had to tear the crusts off my sandwich, Not because I don't like crusts, but because taking the first bite of it got me nothing but crust and it made me feel really full. I get this sort of thing when I get stomach bugs. I have to eat things like bread in little nibbles at a time and it gets tedious.

God, I hate being sick.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »
You know what I love when I get sick? Those soup-at-hand things, that you just put in the microwave and have insta-soup. That and bread and butter, or butter and salt on shells or spaghetti. Really bland stuff, but it tastes awesome when you are sick.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2173 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:29 pm »
Frustration... lack of self-discipline. What a lamentable trait to possess, when one knows that they hold at their fingertips vast potentials and abilities, to have this stymied by an inherent laziness. This is my great foe, who usually bests me. One of these days, I hope to win the day. However, at the moment, it remains a titanic figure that oontinually overcomes me.

And ZeaLitY, you may rail at me for this. I know how much you loathe a lazy spirit.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2174 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:55 am »
My general line of advice to people is to get in touch with their desires. Do anything, like confronting death, that ups the ante. Walk across the bridge and burn it. Anything to unlock animating...not "urgency", but energy.