Author Topic: Chrono Alter Release - Download Inside!  (Read 28994 times)

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Alter Release - Download Inside!
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
Okay, I just finished losing to the final boss with the Lucca/Robo combination for the second time. After it cast meteor on me twice in a row I gave up on winning that ending because that fight is unreasonably hard. Yes, I know there's a bug and Ayla should be there but I've given up on that thing. I beat the other endings and found only Crono's ultimate weapon, but I played a good chunk of the game.

My thoughts on the game is that it's okay, but riddled with flaws. The story is okay, but it's lowered a lot by poor pacing and characterization. The whole "OMG LAVOS" at the beginning is an example of things happening on too grand a scale waaaaay too fast. There are certain plot moments in games that made me step back and go, "You know, this is pretty ridiculous." That moment was on the same level as the whole "I have an evil twin brother" thing in Final Fantasy XII and the whole "We're all from the same orphanage and the sorcress was our babysitter but we got amnesia from our summons" from Final Fantasy VIII. And yeah, Haste never working was annoying.

That said, I think there were some very cool parts of the game. I totally dug the first forest map and the 2300 AD map. The background music was pretty kickass throughout, and I did think the King Zeal boss fight was a pretty inspired move, and pretty awesome. Actually, all of the boss battles in the final dungeon were pretty awesome. The Magus fight was pretty cool too, but the whole "controlled by a magic spell" thing was on the same level of the other plot devices mentioned above.

The nice thing about Chrono Trigger/Cross is that with the whole "parallel dimension" thing, you can basically consider any fan work a form of canon in just another random parallel dimension. I think this is a nice contribution, but I'd reconmend making an updated version and fixing a few flaws. Also a cool idea would be an optional boss battle with Goku (unless there is one and I just didn't find it). At first the Goku's grave thing fell into "evil twin brother" category, but I thought to myself, "You know, that'd be an awesome boos battle.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »
Okay, I just finished losing to the final boss with the Lucca/Robo combination for the second time. After it cast meteor on me twice in a row I gave up on winning that ending because that fight is unreasonably hard. Yes, I know there's a bug and Ayla should be there but I've given up on that thing. I beat the other endings and found only Crono's ultimate weapon, but I played a good chunk of the game.

My thoughts on the game is that it's okay, but riddled with flaws. The story is okay, but it's lowered a lot by poor pacing and characterization. The whole "OMG LAVOS" at the beginning is an example of things happening on too grand a scale waaaaay too fast. There are certain plot moments in games that made me step back and go, "You know, this is pretty ridiculous." That moment was on the same level as the whole "I have an evil twin brother" thing in Final Fantasy XII and the whole "We're all from the same orphanage and the sorcress was our babysitter but we got amnesia from our summons" from Final Fantasy VIII. And yeah, Haste never working was annoying.

That said, I think there were some very cool parts of the game. I totally dug the first forest map and the 2300 AD map. The background music was pretty kickass throughout, and I did think the King Zeal boss fight was a pretty inspired move, and pretty awesome. Actually, all of the boss battles in the final dungeon were pretty awesome. The Magus fight was pretty cool too, but the whole "controlled by a magic spell" thing was on the same level of the other plot devices mentioned above.

The nice thing about Chrono Trigger/Cross is that with the whole "parallel dimension" thing, you can basically consider any fan work a form of canon in just another random parallel dimension. I think this is a nice contribution, but I'd reconmend making an updated version and fixing a few flaws. Also a cool idea would be an optional boss battle with Goku (unless there is one and I just didn't find it). At first the Goku's grave thing fell into "evil twin brother" category, but I thought to myself, "You know, that'd be an awesome boos battle.
Heh, thanks for playing. With the game being a remake of my earlier, god-awful work, I used enough of a new story, but still manged to have it be a remake.

I desperately wanted an excuse to have a Magus fight. XD

And Crono vs. Goku? He'd kill you. Dead. =P

But regardless, thanks for playing! :D

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Yeah Lucca Robo was very difficult, try moving robo to the back row for that fight.  If you're max level Lucca in the front row and Robo in the back should both be able to survive meteor if they are at full HP.  From there you just use an elixir or mega elixir and you're good to go.  Robo's Shock also does some weird stuff, I think it lowers enemy stats or something, cause after I used it I was able to inflict damage on schala.  Try using that right off the bat, it might up your chances for survival. 

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »
To Lance: Yeah. Goku would destroy anybody as a boss battle. You could always write it as "Goku going easy on you", which has been done in basically every Dragonball Z story arc ever. That way it could be a hard boss battle that allows you to win some rare item.

To Dinos: And yeah, I had Robo in the back row and still got slaughtered (I even had the characters maxed out since  I was using your save file). I guess I'll try using shock.

Edit:

To Dinos: Just beat the boss with Lucca and Robo. I don't know why I was able to win but I was. I did use shock like you suggested. Maybe Shock makes them less likely to use meteor, because they only used it like 5 times that entire battle wheras the last time I tried they used it 10 times in a row. Honestly, meteor is the make or break move in those boss battles. Even at max health that thing still knocks me out. I used a megalixer at one point and the thing did meteor directly after and still killed Lucca. I went "WTF?" in frustration and had to do a series of turns revivngs people killed by meteor and then healing to catch up.

To Lance: That ending was pretty awesome, though. The minute I heard it I knew it was gonig to be "that song". If the game was a C before, it just shot up to a B because of that. Pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:07:22 pm by BearFrog »

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2010, 08:24:58 pm »
To Lance: That ending was pretty awesome, though. The minute I heard it I knew it was gonig to be "that song". If the game was a C before, it just shot up to a B because of that. Pretty awesome.
Know what's funny? That ending took a whole 10 minutes to code. XD

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 09:50:30 pm »
Yeah I don't know what shock is it seems pretty magical though.  The first time I did that battle I didn't even HIT the boss, because he used meteor over and over and over until I died.  2nd time I used shock and it like, calmed him down.  lol  :roll:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2010, 06:57:12 pm »
Shock is just in-game marijuana for bosses XD

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:50 am »
Shock actually decreases all monster stats. It completely ignores defense, so it can actually damage Schala.

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:29 am »
After I used shock I was able to hurt schala with flare as well.  Didn't try normal attacking her since I was battling for my life, but I thought about loading up another save and fighting her with Crono Glenn Robo Marle.  How much HP did you give her? 

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2010, 07:30:52 am »
Shock actually decreases all monster stats. It completely ignores defense, so it can actually damage Schala.

To quote Arthas from World of Warcraft... "You gnats actually hurt me!"

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2010, 09:29:38 am »
After I used shock I was able to hurt schala with flare as well.  Didn't try normal attacking her since I was battling for my life, but I thought about loading up another save and fighting her with Crono Glenn Robo Marle.  How much HP did you give her? 

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:15 pm »
Heal the shell, kill the schala

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:56 am »
I'm gonna try to kill her tomorrow, now that I know there is a set amount of HP. 

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2010, 01:22:58 am »
I'm gonna try to kill her tomorrow, now that I know there is a set amount of HP. 
You should post a Youtube video of that.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2010, 05:04:57 am »
Crikey, that was a freakin' tough last boss! Every time it cast "Meteor," I felt tempted to shake a fist and shout "LAAAAANCE!!" at the monitor.  :lol:  I'll get the ending up on Youtube soon for those who might be curious and don't mind lots of spoilers.