Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336830 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2385 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:04 pm »
My wife and I are interested in experiencing a real Seder dinner (as opposed to the "fake" versions that non-messianic Jewish Christian churches occasionally put on). This sentiment happened to be mentioned to the wife of my wife's boss. She thus invited us to have Seder with them. I am told this will not be the 5 hour version, but still! In the words of Rhino, this is "fully awesome."

Not that we're Jewish, or interested in becoming Jewish, but we are quite interested in other cultures.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: February 23, 2010, 07:01:49 pm »
The most awesome part of a Seder is the food. Second most awesome: the song. The religious aspects are interesting the first few times around, and after that are rather dull. Chilling, even, when you consider what the Haggadah has to say...although you wouldn't need to be told what a wrathful world the ancients built for themselves.

Passover was my favorite holiday, for a while, when I was a kid, for a number of reasons which I mustn't enumerate just now. I hope you enjoy yourselves. Remember: Eat nothing for lunch that day, and go sparingly on the ceremonial foods prior to the actual feast. Then eat as much as possible! Boy oh boy, what fun!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: February 24, 2010, 12:40:35 am »

Speaking of dinners, I liked the time that I made a Southern-Style dinner one Sunday evening. 

It consisted of:

- Shrimp Gumbo
- Shrimp Creole
- Crab & Potato Hash
- Shrimp Jambalaya
- Shrimp Etouffee

And we finished it all of with dessert: Crème Brûlée.

Yep.  Four hours in the kitchen, tons of ingredients and multi-tasking; I actually felt like a real-life cook making that entire meal for my family.  It was worth it, and the food tasted superb.

:D

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: February 24, 2010, 01:32:24 am »
I had a delicious vegan dinner tonight that my friend cooked for me and three other friends.  It was fantastic.

Good friends, good food, good times.  :D

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2389 on: February 24, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
I love this: http://lauramw.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Trigger-Packing-Slips-155229922 I wish to buy from fangamer.com just to get those packing slips.

Triryche

• Iokan (+1)
  • Lord of Blight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:17 am »
I have this massive, massive love of Queensryche. Yeah, well, it's not like my username didn't give that away. In the category of music, as well, Emilie Autumn is my newest obsession, for reasons I don't think I'll ever understand. That said, I have nothing of interest to really talk about here, I guess, and I think I love that, too.

I love this: http://lauramw.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Trigger-Packing-Slips-155229922 I wish to buy from fangamer.com just to get those packing slips.

Well, I laughed my arse off. Especially that fourth one. I can now only picture Robo as having Bender (Futurama, of course)'s voice.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:15 am »
Stuff I love?  Olympic Hockey stats like these:

Score:

Canada 7
Russia  3

Ovechkin:

0G, 0A, -2

Canada:

6 goals on 23 shots in just over 24 minutes.

Still have to win two more games in a row, but hopefully we'll get a rematch against the US.  8)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »
"Castle," from the The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past original soundtrack. That is the friggin' sweetness! What a gorgeous theme. It's all over the place awesome. Kondo outdid himself ten to one that day! It's got Rimsky-Korsakov written all over it. The Princess is Slavic, OMG!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:48 am »
This made my night.

Uboa: One to be born from a dragon
Uboa: Hoisting the light and the dark
Uboa: Arises up high in the sky from the still land
rushingwind: Veiling the moon with the light of eternity!
Uboa: Veiling the moon with the light of eternity
Uboa: HAH!
Uboa: HIGH FIVE!
Lord J Esq: =)
rushingwind: It brings, another promise, to mother earth, with a bounty and mercy.
Uboa: I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE
rushingwind: *HIGH FIVES YOU BACK*
rushingwind: FF4 IS AWESOME.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:22:23 am by Uboa »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: February 26, 2010, 10:30:36 am »
Well crap, I have to go play that game again.

More video games need such awesome prophecies and fulfillment.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: February 26, 2010, 10:38:47 am »
Except that it's supposed to be "to the still land." And I'm pretty sure you got the line breaks wrong. ;P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:44 pm »
False prophet! Stoning time!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

I don't suppose you like a piano rendition of that Castle Theme, would you, J?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZdRoKOM7qk

On another note...

I love Beethoven's Ode to Joy.  Simply Amazing.  I am to participate in a chorus of at least 100 that will be singing it the first weekend of March.  It's gonna be big... well, to me, anyways.

You can expect it to sound something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9V5yUsrmdg&feature=channel

I picked this video because it had the famous choral reprise from the first verse.

Simply... beyond words.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2398 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:25 pm »
Hah, I got to eat at a swank restaurant tonight with some fellow accounting students and CPAs-to-be. I hadn't realized, but it was kind of a well-to-do restaurant, so hahahaha... My etiquette training came in handy.

What I love, though, is that I got to devour some dreams. I'm still becoming better and better at finding innocent ways to ask about a person's most cherished and burning ambitions. One wanted to be VP of human resources in a large corporation. Another wanted to start her own wedding service firm. Another wanted to simply establish a good life for herself after deciding against pursuing something in entertainment (same for another, who wanted to be a dancer but left it behind).

It's so interesting to get the pulse of others' "dreams", eh? I summarized mine as "love, experience and communicating experience, living a life of no regrets, and improving humanity", but conditions forbade further discussion. I'm thankful to be lucid and aware of my own humanity, and the beauty of pursuing vaulted dreams with wild energy. It's the only way to live.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: February 28, 2010, 12:21:33 am »
This might be able to go in the interesting and informative link thread, but I love it too much to relegate it there.

If you follow the link, you will see a video of what goes on in a white blood cell that allows it to change its shape and slide between other cells, in order to get to where it needs to go. Whoever said science isn't beautiful?

http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/
http://aimediaserver4.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=ai4/harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520 (this is an alternate; the first link occasionally has troubles actually playing the video, but that is the official site, with a bunch of other info too)

I tear up every time I watch it.