Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484447 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3525 on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:08 pm »
It would seem that they were more into the life-sciences.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3526 on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:09 pm »
Actually, Dalton was my favorite villain in the game XD;. I found him really cheesy and amusing!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: August 05, 2009, 07:32:17 pm »
Actually, Dalton was my favorite villain in the game XD;. I found him really cheesy and amusing!

No kidding? They're almost exactly the same character...dismissive, haughty, narrow-minded, obsessed with immortality, overbearing, and ludicrously devoted to evil. The only difference is that he's a mook and she's a prick.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3528 on: August 05, 2009, 07:37:07 pm »
Exactly XD. The big difference is the very fact that he was a moot and she was a prick. the characteristics that they share somehow ended up working to Dalton's advantage for me because I like really stupid characters like him. I'm a huge fan of Team Rocket after all! Even though TR is basically worthless, at least Dalton gave the Epoch wings! I also think that Dalton was evil all along(much cooler), and the Queen's evilness just arose from the Mammon machine. It makes more of a difference to me that Dalton always was so dedicated to evil and the Queen was just under the influence of Lavos and was more misguided.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:16 pm »
The sad thing is that we, as a society at large, are just realizing the volatility of our insatiable hunger for distraction.

(...)

Moreover, what's with all of these new smilies? I leave for a short stint, and there's already two new ones...
As an experiment, it sadly might have worked out better than I thought. I suppose it would prove too much though, so it remains inconclusive why I achieved the desired results.

Moving on, my real frustration for the day summer is being separated from loved ones. Nothing quite ruins what is supposed to be a time for relaxation and merriment.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: August 05, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »
I also think that Dalton was evil all along(much cooler), and the Queen's evilness just arose from the Mammon machine. It makes more of a difference to me that Dalton always was so dedicated to evil and the Queen was just under the influence of Lavos and was more misguided.

I'll give you that. It's an important character difference. I wonder what he was like before the Queen went crazy. The problem with video game villains like him is that there's no plausible explanation whatsoever for how they came to be trusted with such power and authority in the first place. The Kingdom of Zeal, with its three gurus and love of learning, set itself up as a place for merit to be recognized, yet Dalton's only merit is that he is damn sexy...which has nothing to do with the security services for which he is supposedly responsible.

It's possible that we're both mistaken and that he too was corrupted by the Mammon Machine somehow, although unlikely. More likely is that Dalton was a symbol of everything wrong with the Kingdom of Zeal: a case-in-point which proved that the kingdom was not so paradisaical after all: If someone like him could rise to be so entrusted with the people's safety, then clearly Zeal did not care about its people's safety. A similar, but distinct possibility is that he was corrupted by the breakdown of the royal family, an example of the Japanese cultural attitude of one's own failures having ramifications for one's whole family. We don't know for sure how King Zeal died, and Queen Zeal's corruption may have been the last straw for him.

But it's also possible that he was just a bad egg, rotten apple, scum of the bottom of the barrel kind of a mook right from the start.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3531 on: August 05, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »

But it's also possible that he was just a bad egg, rotten apple, scum of the bottom of the barrel kind of a mook right from the start.

I believe it's more of that because if you do recall, in I *believe* CT DS, they implied that Dalton got sent to the middle ages and caused the Mystics war. In that way, you could tell that he was no longer really influenced by Lavos. He was just dedicated to evil from the very start, it's just that Queen Zeal gave him the opportunity for him to rise to power. I also never thought of him as an example of everything that was wrong with Zeal. he would make a good case in point, though.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3532 on: August 06, 2009, 03:15:39 pm »
So I borrowed a copy of Unreal Tournament 3 from a classmate to install on my laptop for its editor, so that I could do my UnrealII homework at home. Turns out the Unreal editor doesn't support my graphics card. I can still run it, but it gets a bunch of weird results. Darn you graphics card!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: August 06, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »
Still Zephira, it's kind of awesome that you have "Unreal II homework." Are you continuing to pursue game design as a career then? You're livin' the dream, livin' the dream.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: August 06, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »
The Kingdom of Zeal, with its three gurus and love of learning, set itself up as a place for merit to be recognized, yet Dalton's only merit is that he is damn sexy...which has nothing to do with the security services for which he is supposedly responsible.

We don't really see much of how Dalton interacts with his superiors or perceived peers. Society is full of people who get into their positions by appearing to be worthy while in reality they stand on the necks of those below them.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00:58 pm »
No frustrations today.  :lee:

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3536 on: August 06, 2009, 05:11:11 pm »
No frustrations today.  :lee:

Happy to hear it. Maybe you should've put that in the "Stuff you LOVE, baby!" thread?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 06, 2009, 05:51:10 pm »
No frustrations today.  :lee:

Bah, that's frustrating me!

EDIT: Hmm, actually, I find frustration to be frustrating.

To explain: I used to have an anger problem (but I suspect such is more common than I once thought), took care of that mostly in 4th grade. I don't get particularly angry now, but I do get frustrated/annoyed with people far more easily than I would like.

Though I guess when you have the original Obi-Wan Kenobi as an emotional role model, that does skew things a bit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:16:41 pm by Thought »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: August 06, 2009, 09:47:24 pm »

We don't really see much of how Dalton interacts with his superiors or perceived peers. Society is full of people who get into their positions by appearing to be worthy while in reality they stand on the necks of those below them.

Most of the banking industry, yes?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:22 pm »
Microsoft Word's auto-format features.

As this is an affront to sanity, I turn it off. However, others do not and so I am still faced with this plague. If the auto-format features were good, I wouldn't mind, but generally if you want a document to look half-way decent, auto-format gets in the way.