Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336619 times)

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3900 on: November 25, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
So, my sister and I were watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood together and it was awesome.
I especially love the last 15 episodes; that's when it gets really intense.
The ending was great as well; I really love how it ended on a happy note.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish the last season of Soul Eater.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3901 on: November 26, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »
I know it's been four years already, but... RIP Eri Kawai...

[youtube]gHCRYF22Gt4[/youtube]

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3902 on: November 30, 2012, 11:19:37 pm »
My top 50 animated TV shows:
http://www.imdb.com/list/SsYgYauyLQo/

This list isn't definitive; I'm up for reccomendations!
And yes, I'm checking out Wolf's Rain next.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: December 08, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
Public Service Announcement time, dudes and dudettes! (Trigger warning totally applies here BTW)

A few people known for being unstable were recently let go at my employer, so I've taken some time to think out my strategy for responding to a workplace shooting. I thought it was really cool that there are actually videos on this sort of thing, to wit:

[youtube]r2tIeRUbRHw[/youtube]

[youtube]5VcSwejU2D0[/youtube]

How much difference does media like this make? I don't have stats, but I will say I knew how to handle a classmate's seizure thanks to a Discovery Channel thingie years back. And after the Virginia Tech massacre, I had a prof who was pretty keen on developing a classroom action plan. I guess I've just become acculturated to preparing for random worst-case scenarios, to the extent it's even possible.

I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled gaming.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:00:07 am by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3904 on: December 12, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
A few people known for being unstable were recently let go at my employer, so I've taken some time to think out my strategy for responding to a workplace shooting.
Yikes! Who were they? What did they want? Sounds like a pretty rough situation no sane person would wanna be in.  :shock:

How much difference does media like this make? I don't have stats, but I will say I knew how to handle a classmate's seizure thanks to a Discovery Channel thingie years back. And after the Virginia Tech massacre, I had a prof who was pretty keen on developing a classroom action plan. I guess I've just become acculturated to preparing for random worst-case scenarios, to the extent it's even possible.
And all it takes is a little information to prepare yourself for scenarios which give you only a few minutes to decide. ;)

You seem to share that knowledge-hoarding trait! You may have often found yourself frustrated with situations that required action which you weren't aware of, haven't you? Somewhat of a, "I wish I could do something about this"? This lingering fixation is probably what makes us desperately seek out, remember or at least index knowledge so we'd know where to look or what to recall quickly in case of emergencies. Casual learning at such times don't have as much impact on our minds as those of relevant urgency (think back to how most students are often bored of earthquake and first aid lessons, but quickly pick up the most complex measures when some calamity occurs). In this case, some people with "greed" for such knowledge simply are bound with an internal defence mechanism to stockpile every necessary resource to help themselves and their folks sustain themselves for longer period.

It's interesting what you can find when you know where to look (hint: Youtube), though looking at one of the videos, I must ask. It says that 80% of the USA workplace homicides included the use of fire arms, when the numbers aren't SO DAMN HIGH in India (I think it borders on 5% here, but I can't confirm due to shitty net on my end; Indian workplace homicides usually include elaborate Sherlock Holmes, Wilkie Collins and Agatha Christie like mysterious trails of murder). Considering buying firearms requires a license, where do such unstable people get their resources from? I'm assuming and underworld black market, but the question remains WHERE is the black market itself getting its supplies? What kind of cartels?

I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled gaming.
No, no, no you don't! There's no better gaming than real-life survival!

@ProtomanX904: You seem to have a thing for complexities and comedy! Based on your current preferences, I'll suggest a few related ones.  8)

Batman: Under the Red Hood (This one was EPIC, I tell ya!)

Baccano! (I just can't recommend this enough! Short series, but packs plenty of punch with memorable characters; story takes place in three different points in time, with the conclusion bringing all the protagonists and circumstances into place)

Kuroshitsuji / Black Butler (Square Enix's take on a modern-age Faust legend)

Code Geass (Imagine Gurren Lagann meets Deathnote)

K (I know, weird name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHwWv_N8-8 )

Get Backers (If you like Yu Yu Hakusho, you're bound to love this. It centers around two protagonists and their service called "Get Backers", who are bound to "Get Back" anything that's lost or stolen from you, for a small fee. But there ordinary debt-burdened jobless heroes are no ordinary people, and what they deal with aren't ordinary misadventures either)

Fate/Stay Night (Because Yu Yu Hakusho is so awesome. What would you get when a bunch of sorcerers resurrect a group of legendary heroes of the past into a gladiatorial warfare? Grand epicness, that's what.)

Tears to Tiara (What can I say? I enjoy some Celtic fantasy)

Sword Art Online (Think .hack// series meets Hunger Games; this anime has its flaws due to target audience direction, but it's still fun to watch due to its interesting concepts)

Ranma 1/2 (By the creator of Inu Yasha; it's a Martial Arts Comedy of a romantically clueless and outrageously straightforward protagonist who shifts genders depending on the temperature of water, and making weird enemies who have their own enemies)

School Rumble (Since you like Haruhi Suzumiya, I think this should be worth watching. The series is a mix of different genres centred around comedy and parody, surrounding this guy who likes this girl who likes this Gary Stu who actually likes pancakes. They even threw in a Super Saiyan in there...)

Vanguard (Actually inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh!, hence the similar genre)

Captain Harlock -- The Space Odyssey (an epic Sci-Fi fairytale)

And since you like X-Men series....

1) X-Men Evolution (think of it as a prequel, but inspired by the Ultimate Marvel universe)

2) Wolverine and the X-Men

3) Wolverine: The Anime (ever imagined if Marvel heroes were animated by anime studios and Japan?)

4) Ironman: The Anime (Ditto)

This post gave me the opportunity to look up some of the greater anime that were "right below my nose" but have missed (and hence can't remember some of their name), such as Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, and a sci-fi series about one of the twins being killed (can't remember the name) which had a compelling storyline. And since my recent anime hiatus, I think it's time I return to it.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: December 12, 2012, 07:56:41 pm »
Fate/Stay Night (Because Yu Yu Hakusho is so awesome. What would you get when a bunch of sorcerers resurrect a group of legendary heroes of the past into a gladiatorial warfare? Grand epicness, that's what.)

IMNSHO, Fate/Zero, the more-recently-aired prequel to this series, is a better show—more drama and less fanservice. However, it's also veeeery dark (although no worse than the ending of Berserk). Or maybe I'm just a sucker for Yuki Kajiura's soundtracks.

Sword Art Online (Think .hack// series meets Hunger Games; this anime has its flaws due to target audience direction, but it's still fun to watch due to its interesting concepts)

One of the three currently-airing shows that I'm most enjoying, along with Zetsuen no Tempest (urban fantasy drama, heavy on the action) and Shin Sekai Yori (slow-moving SF drama, likely not to everyone's taste).

and a sci-fi series about one of the twins being killed (can't remember the name) which had a compelling storyline.

That sounds like the second Darker than Black series—Ryuusei no Gemini? Something like that.

(Purple cat can talk about anime for a veeeeery looooong time, if someone is dumb enough to aim questions at him...)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:19 pm »
Quote from: tushantin
Yikes! Who were they? What did they want? Sounds like a pretty rough situation no sane person would wanna be in.
The details are pretty mundane, really. I'm sure I was overreacting by even thinking about the possibility -- it's just that one can never be too prepared for the unforeseen, I say.

Quote from: tushantin
...though looking at one of the videos, I must ask. It says that 80% of the USA workplace homicides included the use of fire arms, when the numbers aren't SO DAMN HIGH in India (I think it borders on 5% here, but I can't confirm due to shitty net on my end. ). Considering buying firearms requires a license, where do such unstable people get their resources from? I'm assuming an underworld black market, but the question remains WHERE is the black market itself getting its supplies? What kind of cartels?
It would be fascinating to compare the stats across countries! I remember a video utunnels posted a while back, where a bank robber in China had to resort to a hammer -- a better outcome for everyone involved than what might have happened here in the U.S.

I have the impression that a lot of high-profile shooters have purchased their weapons legally here in the U.S. The thing I'm really curious about is whether firearms licenses here require training courses in the same way automobile licenses do. Or even whether firearms require a license at all on the owner's part -- a brief look at a Wiki article on U.S. gun law indicates there aren't many States where a permit or license is even necessary. It's worth noting that there seems to be a distinction between mere ownership and actually carrying a weapon in public though, and permits often come into play for the latter.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:53:07 pm by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »
I remember that video. It was just a special case, the robber could be either too stupid or was having some sort of mental problem I think.
But it is true that many small banks don't even have a security guard, there was a piece of news yesterday about a customer being robbed in the hall of a bank. 

As for firearms, they are highly restricted. Other weapons such as knives, crossbows, etc are also restricted, though the police don't show as much interests towards them.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:59 am »
It would be fascinating to compare the stats across countries!

Wikipedia provides statistics by country of gun ownership and gun-related deaths per capita that could be used as starting points. They'd have to be correlated with something about overall death rates and violent crime rates to be truly meaningful, though.

(Does this really belong in the "love" thread?)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: December 15, 2012, 01:45:10 am »
Final Fantasy III's Eternal Wind will always hold a special place in my heart as one of my favorite video game tracks, but this piece from the same game is so ... wonderful. Short, yet full of emotion, it pulls all the right strings in my chest.

[youtube]IkSo0Dxzq-M[/youtube]

I love it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »
Quote from: alfadorredux
(Does this really belong in the "love" thread?)
Yeah, I have to apologize for that; it seems in especially bad taste now that a rash of these events have actually occurred since I brought up the subject. I put the videos here because I enjoyed the fact that there was some media aimed at empowering people during these situations. A major gun rights debate is probably around the corner here in the U.S., so we might start a thread on that theme if we don't have one already. Couldn't find one myself -- most gun discussion has been in threads devoted to all the separate incidents. It's pretty disheartening to go back and review just how many discussions on this exact subject we've had reason to start over the years...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:44:21 pm by FaustWolf »

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3911 on: December 15, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »

@ProtomanX904: You seem to have a thing for complexities and comedy! Based on your current preferences, I'll suggest a few related ones.  8)

Batman: Under the Red Hood (This one was EPIC, I tell ya!)

I saw it. It was my favorite Batman movie since Batman Mask of the Phantasm, though I'd probably put Dark Knight Returns over it now. Seriously, I love Dark Knight Returns; one of my favorite graphic novels of all time.

Baccano! (I just can't recommend this enough! Short series, but packs plenty of punch with memorable characters; story takes place in three different points in time, with the conclusion bringing all the protagonists and circumstances into place)

I heard it was by the same person who made Death Note, and that's the extent I heard of it. I'm planning on checking it out after Wolf's Rain is finished.

Kuroshitsuji / Black Butler (Square Enix's take on a modern-age Faust legend)

This is another one I heard of but didn't quite get to yet.

Code Geass (Imagine Gurren Lagann meets Deathnote)

I tried getting into this show. I just didn't like it.

K (I know, weird name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHwWv_N8-8 )

Video didn't work, but I'll be sure to check this out later.

Get Backers (If you like Yu Yu Hakusho, you're bound to love this. It centers around two protagonists and their service called "Get Backers", who are bound to "Get Back" anything that's lost or stolen from you, for a small fee. But there ordinary debt-burdened jobless heroes are no ordinary people, and what they deal with aren't ordinary misadventures either)

Interesting. If it's on par with YYH, it's gotta be awesome. *Added to checklist*

I've heard about this one. I haven't added it to my checklist yet, though.

Tears to Tiara (What can I say? I enjoy some Celtic fantasy)

Never heard of this one, but I'll look it up sometime.

I never cared for .hack// or Hunger Games, heh heh. Oh well, I'll be sure to give it a shot.

Ranma 1/2 (By the creator of Inu Yasha; it's a Martial Arts Comedy of a romantically clueless and outrageously straightforward protagonist who shifts genders depending on the temperature of water, and making weird enemies who have their own enemies)

I watched both this and Inuyasha before; I dislike both.

School Rumble (Since you like Haruhi Suzumiya, I think this should be worth watching. The series is a mix of different genres centred around comedy and parody, surrounding this guy who likes this girl who likes this Gary Stu who actually likes pancakes. They even threw in a Super Saiyan in there...)

The summary made me laugh. I'll check it out.

Vanguard (Actually inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh!, hence the similar genre)

I've heard of this one but didn't care much to check it out.

Captain Harlock -- The Space Odyssey (an epic Sci-Fi fairytale)

I am interested.

And since you like X-Men series....

1) X-Men Evolution (think of it as a prequel, but inspired by the Ultimate Marvel universe)
This and Welcome to the NHK were this close to making the list.

2) Wolverine and the X-Men
I stopped watching after a few episodes. Didn't care for it.

3) Wolverine: The Anime (ever imagined if Marvel heroes were animated by anime studios and Japan?)
I saw this along with the X-Men and Iron Man animes. They were alright.

4) Ironman: The Anime (Ditto)
Ditto

This post gave me the opportunity to look up some of the greater anime that were "right below my nose" but have missed (and hence can't remember some of their name), such as Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, and a sci-fi series about one of the twins being killed (can't remember the name) which had a compelling storyline. And since my recent anime hiatus, I think it's time I return to it.

Also, looking back, I can't help but feel I should have switched Soul Eater and Gurren Lagann's spots. Oh well.

I'm about 4/5 through Wolf's Rain; definitely top 20 material. I love Yoko Kanno's soundtracks.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3912 on: December 16, 2012, 02:20:12 am »
and a sci-fi series about one of the twins being killed (can't remember the name) which had a compelling storyline.

That sounds like the second Darker than Black series—Ryuusei no Gemini? Something like that.
Nah, it's Jyu-Oh-Sei; just found it!  8)

I'll take a look at Fate/Zero soon, right after Umineko: When They Cry. That show is freakin' unreal!

@Synchronization: I don't know who you are, or where you're from, but I could spend the whole time just listening to you! It not only amuses the heck out of me, but the hidden poetics also fascinates me to no end.

Dueling gunman you say? Well, pick your weapon, Charlie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGUdBWvfK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFNaI83OLNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS_UA-7AEwE

Meet me at Medina by noon. *puts his cowboy hat on and walks away*

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: December 16, 2012, 08:32:07 am »

Nah, it's Jyu-Oh-Sei; just found it!  8)
That one's still on my "to-watch" rather than my "watched" list, which might explain why I didn't recognize it.

I'll take a look at Fate/Zero soon, right after Umineko: When They Cry. That show is freakin' unreal!
Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, Umineko stops rather than ending. The animators seem to have been hoping for a second season that didn't get greenlighted.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3914 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »
Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, Umineko stops rather than ending. The animators seem to have been hoping for a second season that didn't get greenlighted.
[/quote]....Aw, man! Now that ruins everything...  :(