Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336630 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3300 on: June 17, 2011, 05:23:12 pm »
... Artemis Fowl vs Harry Potter crossover? It's like putting together Fantasy/Sorcery, Heist, Thriller and...

*brain burns*

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: June 17, 2011, 06:04:27 pm »
Haven't most commercial ARGs been purely promotional? I would love to see Potter up the ante with something really slick and technically sophisticated! But I'm getting my hopes up.

My friend helped me set up random avatars, hurray! Now I can use the same avatars for all my forums, and, more importantly, be like the rest of you cool avatar-shuffling types.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: June 17, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »
I actually prefer a single avatar. Helps me find my own posts, and I like the single iconic image. I do change it from time to time though.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »
So that was a dream job.  Still glad to be home, only so much Vegas I can handle, even if it's free.  Great people helped.

One day after shooting we wound up at a licensing convention and had a quick chat about video games.  One of the fellow actors was a CT fan!  Always good.  Also, saw a horse named Dark Matter in one of the sports books.  Didn't put any $$$ on it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:26 pm »
So that was a dream job.  Still glad to be home, only so much Vegas I can handle, even if it's free.  Great people helped.

One day after shooting we wound up at a licensing convention and had a quick chat about video games.  One of the fellow actors was a CT fan!  Always good.  Also, saw a horse named Dark Matter in one of the sports books.  Didn't put any $$$ on it.

Awesome. It's so good to hear somebody actually going for their dream and kicking the dream's ass into reality.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3305 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »
@Shee: We gots a winner!  8)

So, who watched Source Code? It's the Chrono Cross of Hollywood (except this one was Techno Thriller, which makes it even more awesome), and it's beautiful!

Lost hero? Check. Alternate universe / time travel? Check. World changing plot device? Yeppers!

Like CC, this one's got loose ends too. Now I'm waiting to see if a sequel will be announced.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:55 am »
It feels good the successfully fix your own car problems. Lately with the triple-digit summer heat, my Corvette's been almost overheating quite a bit. The coolant would slowly climb past 260° F and start boiling just from driving around town for any amount of time. Having the coolant changed and filled properly didn't help, the fans were working, and nothing was leaking or broken, so I did some research online.

Apparently the air induction system sucks in air from the front, bottom of the car, making it act like a vacuum cleaner as you drive down a road. As a result, all the dust, rocks, grass, fur, etc. you drive past gets sucked into the radiator, which also has a smaller, more efficient design with thinner fins inside of it (basically, a race-car design). In other words, not only does the radiator get gunked up, but all that stuck up debris affects it much worse than it would affect a standard radiator.

So with some help from my dad, I spent all day trying to pull out the radiator, cleaning it, and then putting it back in. The whole thing's inside this plastic shroud with the air filter on top of it, and it was pretty easy to remove except for these impossibly placed metric-size screws in the very front down where you can hardly reach them and where there's no room to really get to them with any tools. Those six screws took over an hour to remove, possibly two, and we couldn't even get them back in. Leaving them out didn't make much of a difference though.

But boy what a difference cleaning the radiator out made. There was a lot of gunk stuck inside of it, and some of the fins were bent too. I straightened most of the fins out with a really tiny flat tip screwdriver, and we blasted most of the gunk out of the radiator. We even soaked it in soap for a few hours to loosen everything up and I blasted it a second and third time.

Now it runs a lot cooler, even in this hot summer heat. The coolant temperature still gets pretty hot when I'm stuck idling somewhere after driving around, but it stays under control and manages to go down once the engine starts cooling.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:53 am »
Recently discovered Talk Talk's "It's My Life" while trying to find the Gwen Stefani/No Doubt cover. The original has a really intrepid quality about it. Its style is so 80s of course, but I love how the lyrics were originally paired with imagery that gave it pro-nature overtones, compared to Stefani's more literal take.
[youtube]NXQYyKzyDaE[/youtube]

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: June 19, 2011, 02:06:52 am »
Fixing one's own problems is one of those truly satisfying feats the dearth of which due to service conveniences I think saps people of some of their optimism, confidence, and ambition.

Hah. I remember the first time I changed a tire. I was 18 or so. It was on my big old Plymouth Volare, 1976, bright red-orange, the textbook definition of a clunker. The radio worked, but the speakers were so soft they could only be heard at idling speeds. The windshield wipers had to be hand-operated (which only ever came up once, out in the desert, and I had a friend riding with me who dutifully stuck his hand out the window to operate the wipers the whole ride). The dash clock only worked some of the time. The speedometer lied, worse as the speed went up, which I learned because while traveling supposedly at the freeway speed limit I was passing everyone on the road and my tires were smoking. The windshield was so pitted and cratered that it would turn bright white in the sun. It was nearly a low-rider, so I bottomed out on everything. The steering wheel and brakes were both either unresponsive or super-sensitive, with nothing in between. The main headlights didn't work, so I had to use brights, and they were constantly coming out of alignment. The brakes locked at the drop of a hat. The air conditioner lost a full charge of freon in the first two weeks I owned the car. The car itself was very wide and very long, so I never had much of a margin for things like parking and turning. And the radiator leaked, which meant the car overheated very quickly when not in motion. Oh, and it drank gas like any good late-'70s oil-crisis automobile should do.

Loved that car. And the engine was great.

Anyhow, the tire had blown out while I was driving. I had never done anything with cars (I'm not a car buff) more involved than checking the oil and filling the radiator. I got it home at a limp, and decided I would change the tire myself. I cut both of my hands on the tire metal, and swore a lot, but I changed it successfully with zero experience and assistance, and that was rewarding.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:29 pm »
We just got in from Boston. It rocked. I loved it. Sam insisted that we stay the whole weekend, so he and I shared a rather overly sized bed in a hotel, with like no wireless. Which sucked, but Boston was worth it. We had really good ramen at some Japanese shop, and we saw the parade and I drooled at the CUP (it's quite the CUP). It ROCKED!

I want to go back.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3310 on: June 20, 2011, 04:29:59 am »
Day's made of WIN! Our project is close to finishing pre-production, then begins a riot! But it's moving slower than I expected.  :?

STILL! Script's almost complete, and storyboard begs me to get to the drawing-board.

...I wish I had my tablet with me...  :cry:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: June 20, 2011, 07:03:20 am »
Oh my god.

I am dying right now.

THESE NEXT TWENTY FOUR DAYS HAD BETTER GO BY AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:08:31 am by Sajainta »

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3312 on: June 20, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »
Oh my god.

I am dying right now.

THESE NEXT TWENTY FOUR DAYS HAD BETTER GO BY AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

OH MY YES!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:43 pm »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: June 21, 2011, 02:37:23 am »
Whenever D or I lean in to kiss Draco (our ferret) on his little nose, he leans in to get the kiss too.

There is nothing more adorable than that.