Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336643 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1605 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:58 pm »
Smoking, drinking and unprotected sex will do more damage than the occasional junk food, so munch on!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #1606 on: September 24, 2009, 06:11:25 pm »
Baconbaconbacon I love bacon. Next year's PAX weekend I need to make that carbanara (with bacon) or pho (I think it can have bacon).

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1607 on: September 24, 2009, 07:24:19 pm »
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the love or hate thread, but I figured the world could always use a more positive take on events.

On the way back from the fair yesterday, while checking my blind spot in preparation for a lane change, traffic in front of me came to an abrupt stop. I swung the wheel hard to port, and by inches missed the stationary car in front of me.

I love my car. I love tight controls. I love capable handling. Give me a nimble car that will let me avoid an accident, not a lumbering unresponsive truck that will make me die in one.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: September 24, 2009, 07:27:57 pm »
RD, what kind of car do you drive, if you don't mind my asking? I'm always keeping an eye out for the ones with best handling and maneuverability. Any model that can do what yours did deserves a good plug.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: September 24, 2009, 07:38:36 pm »
this is my car.

i love it.
his name is sam.

i love books. i htink ive expressed this before but i love books.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »

Any books in particular?

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:23 pm »
Any books in particular?
books with a nice smell to them. i like being able to open a book and smell it. i like the kind with thin pages and nice covers. i like the kind that have words in them. books take me on adventures. i feel like im weaving through the clouds and can walk a tightrope to a dripping sun when i read. books everywhere.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: September 25, 2009, 12:23:39 am »
I just had some REALLY good bacon. Not as flavourful as the bacon Lord J's friend made, but that bacon was cut into cubes and had no fat. This bacon had plenty of fat! One of the most delicious things in the world <3 (man I'm going to have the worst arteries in the world when I'm old...)

You might like my baked beans. I use bacon in the recipe. I've got a few leftovers in the fridge right now from a batch where I doubled the bacon to see what would happen. It turns out there's a point where the bacon fat overwhelms the positive texture and flavor of the bacon meat.

And, yeah, you have to check out Salumi. I'm pretty sure that it'll be your own personal Kingdom of Zeal. Also: They rent apartments nearby, if you want to strike out on your own and escape the potheads and poultry-thieves.

This is the "bacon" that we ate that night at The Feast (which, due to swine flu and logistical errors, sadly turned out to be more of a lowercase-F "feast" with no "the" in front):
http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/products/guanciale.htm

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:26 am »
They rent apartments nearby, if you want to strike out on your own and escape the potheads and poultry-thieves.

The pot explains the poultry-thievery, at least.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1614 on: September 25, 2009, 03:25:40 am »
It's an E39 5 Series. Needless to say, I'm quite happy with it. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want anything bigger.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: September 25, 2009, 03:50:15 am »
When I was in high school, I spent many a math lesson not paying attention to the instructor and instead joking with a friend about such things as "The Big Car," my personal mode of transportation for all needs, public and private.

The Big Car was notable for being wider than any highway and taller than any underpass. It was heavy enough to require a tenth of the world's oil supply just to get the 100 miles to Los Angeles. It used enough steel to build a bridge to the moon. The power of the engine was such that it would deafen pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists--assuming they weren't killed first by the totally unfiltered, lethally noxious fumes coming out of the tailpipe. It was so big that the windshield didn't offer a view of the road, and the steering wheel required a crew to operate. There were dozens of gears in the transmission, and millions of cupholders. The Big Car was 100% Made-in-America pride, and was a fixture at fairs and parades. The Big Car had originally been conceived of by the Soviets, contributing to the collapse of their economy, but Americans had stolen the plans, increased the car's dimensions to a large, more American scale, and done away with most of the pesky fuel efficiency that was hampering engine performance. As a result, the Big Car could accelerate from 0 to 12 mph in just under 4.1 hours--a truly dizzying acceleration. The car's top speed was rated at 12.3 mph, which was only sustainable for a few seconds at a time, lest the nuclear power plant go into meltdown.

The main boiler was capable of generating enough torque for the Big Car to tow small towns to new locations, and to relocate disobedient hills in California's seismically unstable bumper car park of topography. The Big Car, in full operation, put out so much heat that it couldn't safely be used in tunnels lest the concrete melt, but on the open road it was a joy to drive. Inside the cabin, there were only three seats (two up front and one in the trunk), but each seat had climate controls, heating elements, microwaves, access keys to the President's White House, and one of those Excalibur garage door openers that can open any gate or door. The radio, utilizing the very latest Foreign Technology (but paid for in American dollars!), could reach a combined six stations on the AM and FM dials--although the only way to switch between them was to access the control board in the main engine room.

Most of the fun about the Big Car was putting it into wacky adventures that would allow me to further describe the car's uniquely American attributes. Usually these exploits would serve to highlight the inadequacies of the American public and the nation's infrastructure when it came to appreciating really big cars. Evil terrorist plots were also routinely foiled, with the villains (and the supporting heroes) usually meeting a gruesome end by attempting to operate the Big Car or by being forced to rely on the integrity of its patented Safety Gizmos. (Yes, this was back before September 11, but thanks to Hollywood action movies such as True Lies I already knew of the threat posed by weirdly dressed Middle Eastern people.)

Ah...good times with the Big Car. I think it got into dozens of wrecks every time it went anywhere, but inside the Big Car you'd never notice.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: September 25, 2009, 03:52:51 am »
Speaking of Big Things and Things I Love, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgITBzujCS0

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1617 on: September 25, 2009, 04:31:16 am »
The Big Car, eh? Is that what you meant when you said you had a fine ability to bullshit and tell a tale?

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: September 25, 2009, 06:15:31 am »
Well, I am actually loving Pokemon HG/SS. I can't actually believe how good they are. I also love the water Pokemon Starters: Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip and Piplup, in case you needed a refresher. They're always so awesome to use imo.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: September 25, 2009, 10:56:31 am »
Charmander (and evolutions) has always been and will always be the best pokemon ever.

Now, having sufficiently ruined my street-cred, let me also say that I love cloud cover, partially because I hate the accursed day-ball (especially when it is in the morning/evening and the sun is right in your eyes when you are driving; it's like every street suddenly heads east to east in the mornings or something).

Oh, I also love Nuklear Age, by Brian Clevenger. I really need to re-read it.