Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 489179 times)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2475 on: March 25, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
If there could ever be another genocide...

Wishing for another genocide would make you the monster.   and israel is a monster, just like any other religious states.  though, the most i do about my dislike for israel is that i make sure not to buy israeli products...they certainly produce a lot of sweet peppers.

Yeah, I was just a little pissed off.

But still, Israel is not the badguy here. It's Hamas and no matter what you say, their only agenda is to wipe the Israeli's off the map.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:47 pm »
I hear that Israel shuts off all the water (or maybe it was electricity) in Gaza sometimes in retaliation for suicide bomb attacks. This, in turn, breeds more suicide bomb attacks. There's several facets to the Israel/Palestinian conflict, and I think simple standard of living issues are just as important to the equation as religion. Then there's also the sense of national humiliation the Palestinians likely feel as they're going through all this.

I'm not saying that Israel shouldn't protect its people, just that it's doing it wrong.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:03 pm »
Faust, the closest thing to Israel shutting down water that I could find in reliable news sources (rather than blogs that just cite each other) is that, due to blockades, the water systems (and sewer, and electric) basically get to the point where they cease functioning. It appears that the situation is not that Israel shuts off water to Gaza like the water company might shut off water to you if you don't pay your bills; rather, it appears to be closer to water being shut off because the water company went under and no one is working there. However, even that much was difficult to find and I am not sure how trustworthy it is.

Israel is in a lot of no win scenarios. They need to have Jewish settlements in non-Jewish land removed, but it is REALLY bad press for any nation to be attacking its own citizens (even when those citizens are in the wrong). A government can't stay in power long if the news agencies can show its military forcing its citizens out of their homes.

Israel is trying to establish a peace with groups who are supported by nations that refuse to recognize the state of Israel and have vowed to erradicate it off the face of the planet.

Israel has to appease the western nations of the world, even when the western nations are full of crap, because it can't survive without external lifelines.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 25, 2009, 06:14:21 pm »
I do not know. When I woke up this morning, mom was shaking me and telling me the computer was acting screwy. Only had time to run an AdAware scan before leaving for school. I think it's fine for now, but I'm not sure. Just be careful what you download.

If you have one of the newer processors from the last two years or so, you should add some more RAM to your machine and install Windows XP on a virtual machine using Sun VirtualBox or Microsoft Virtual PC (both free), and just leave them running full screen for other people to use. Then make copies of the virtual hard drive every now and then as backups, and when things go wrong, switch back to the old hard drive images.

Anyway, I'm interested in how the virus might be installed, since I'm currently studying software reverse engineering in my spare time and sort of want to disassemble and figure out this virus.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2479 on: March 25, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
Faust, the closest thing to Israel shutting down water that I could find in reliable news sources (rather than blogs that just cite each other) is that, due to blockades, the water systems (and sewer, and electric) basically get to the point where they cease functioning. It appears that the situation is not that Israel shuts off water to Gaza like the water company might shut off water to you if you don't pay your bills; rather, it appears to be closer to water being shut off because the water company went under and no one is working there. However, even that much was difficult to find and I am not sure how trustworthy it is.

Israel is in a lot of no win scenarios. They need to have Jewish settlements in non-Jewish land removed, but it is REALLY bad press for any nation to be attacking its own citizens (even when those citizens are in the wrong). A government can't stay in power long if the news agencies can show its military forcing its citizens out of their homes.

Israel is trying to establish a peace with groups who are supported by nations that refuse to recognize the state of Israel and have vowed to erradicate it off the face of the planet.

Israel has to appease the western nations of the world, even when the western nations are full of crap, because it can't survive without external lifelines.

Actually, Thought, regarding the water being shut down, I've heard first-hand accounts regarding that. Some friends of the family have relatives over there and have spoken of such things going on. So it's not just a rumour or anything: it does actually occur. In fact, I've heard at times that what you have is the Israelis watering their lawns whilst the Palestinians across the way are going thirsty.

And this is not just to those groups that are antagonistic to Israel. The family I'm speaking of are Christian arabs, and are somewhat seperate from the typical Jewish/Islamic conflicts of the area. This is not a tactical move against those who bear extreme enmity, but against civilians and groups who are essentially neutral. So it becomes very difficult to justify, indeed, nearly impossible. Pragmatically, as a political move, perhaps... yet many terrible things have been done in the past in the name of political appeasement.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:28:07 pm by Daniel Krispin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:24 pm »
I heard about the water/electricity shutting off from a Palestinian friend, but I can't verify it personally. Closest thing I can find offhand is Bibi Netanyahu suggesting that it be done back in 2007:
http://www.nogw.com/download/_07_netanyahu_shut_off_gaza_water.pdf

You're right, it's important to get the facts straight on things like this so I don't sound like I'm running around bashing Israel willy-nilly. Good thing I didn't mention rumors that Starbucks coffee is made from Palestinian baby's blood...just a joke among hardline Palestinians apparently, but that sounds like the blood libel rumors all over again, doesn't it? I worry that as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict drags on, it's promoting a culture in the Middle East that is not only anti-Zionist, but also anti-Jewish (isn't everyone Semitic over there?). It's like history repeating itself, only there's nukes in the mix this time, and the geographical focus of the conflict just happens to sit right next to a hill called Armageddon.

Oh, looks like Dan's heard some of the same things.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: March 25, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »
Two things that are getting me right now. One: my sister, who was doing so good about knocking before coming into my room, has stopped knocking. I'm looking at an online store for something to buy her for her birthday and she just waltzes right in. It really bugs me.,.. especially when I want the thing to be a surprise!

Second, these terrible headaches I just started getting today. One minute I'm fine, the next my head hurts so much I have to take a nap. I took some medicine, I've been eating and drinking... it hasn't helped.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: March 25, 2009, 06:43:40 pm »
Oh I didn't mean to imply that it definately isn't happening. I just couldn't confirm one way or the other. The few sources I could find weren't about that specifically, but seemed to relate to a deteriorating infrastructure that leads to similar results.

Daniel: The historian in me wants to now grill you for information ;)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2483 on: March 25, 2009, 06:45:18 pm »
It's like history repeating itself, only there's nukes in the mix this time, and the geographical focus of the conflict just happens to sit right next to a hill called Armageddon.

Funny, isn't it?

Yeah, I do find it kinda strange that Semitic is commonly used to refer to Jews alone, when technically all the Arabs, Jews, old Babylonians... all those are Semitic peoples. It's unfortunate that they must be ranged in this conflict, yet I don't think there's really much of a solution to it. Such old hatreds of embattled peoples are difficult to put aside even in the best of times.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: March 26, 2009, 05:04:28 am »
Sorry for interuptting anything but I am frustrated as hell that KHInsider is NOT giving answers as to why the download section is down and furthermore they chew people out just for asking.   http://forums.khinsider.com/feedback-support/announcements.html           So where's the beef?

Little innocent Bob or Joe   comes in and asks but gets chewed the hell out.      http://forums.khinsider.com/feedback-support/124413-wtf-happened-downloads.html

http://forums.khinsider.com/feedback-support/124416-what-s-point-running-khd-if-there-s-no-download-huh.html  I don't blame him for being mad if he got the rude treatment. :picardno :(

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: March 26, 2009, 10:19:14 am »
Computer viruses, rootkits, etc. At least with an honest robbery, you can know what was stolen and take appropriate actions. But with these, getting rid of the infection is only half the work involved.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: March 26, 2009, 10:33:42 am »
@Triforce: I don't think you need to make a post in the frustration thread considering you put one in its own topic. It frustrates me as well (WANT SMASHING LIVE DAMMIT) but unless you take over KHInsider and find a way to fund everything, there's nothing you can do. Remember the serenity prayer (if you're religious like that), because I certainly don't.

@The discussion about viruses: Viruses suck. They're horrible and they make your computer run slow and do all sorts of other nasty stuff to your computer. One of the computers in my house is basically useless now, because of a virus. It got a virus a long time ago and now runs insanely slowly. I guess it never really got over it.

Current frustration: My history teacher. Aside from being absent while I was out yesterday, she apparently made a mistake. She signed me up to do a paper on Autism and signed another girl up to do mental illness. The other girl apparently narrowed her topic down to... Autism. We're going to work something out tomorrow but... IT WAS MY IDEA FIRST!!!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: March 26, 2009, 10:55:20 am »
You should be fine as Autism is not a mental illness but a development disorder.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: March 26, 2009, 10:57:07 am »
You should be fine as Autism is not a mental illness but a development disorder.
True, but her thesis statement was on Autism. So was mine. I'm frustrated because my history teacher didn't do something to prevent this. Because either I do a paper on Autism or she does. Not both.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:46 am »
Why not both?  Is that a rule by the teacher?  Or do you not want someone to do the same topic as you?