Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199445 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2040 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:39 am »
Darn, looks like Sega really is putting the can on the fan-made Streets of Rage Remake. utunnels already provided the link elsewhere, but this will certainly be of interest to Compendiumites too.

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-responds-to-streets-of-rage-remake-pull-198723.phtml

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 14, 2011, 03:23:23 am »
I really hope that Sega does a remake of their own, and perhaps makes an up-to-date sequel or all-out remake, have it go to PS3 or XBox 360 or something. That would actually be fun as Hell to have Axel and Blaze being able to do all sorts of shit that only that degree of game would allow. Imagine, being able to have more than just a little, measly fireball thing to blow away your opponents with, going to something like Kamehameha levels or something.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2042 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18:46 am »
Aww man, I really hope this doesn't affect the openBOR project. T_T
Just found a great site that keeps tabs on indie game devs. It lists job opportunities too!

Woohoo!! *Clicks*

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 14, 2011, 05:26:39 am »
My boyfriend just beat Dead Space 2 on the hardest difficulty, where you only get three saves in the entire game.  So. Kick. Ass.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:30 am »
My boyfriend just beat Dead Space 2 on the hardest difficulty, where you only get three saves in the entire game.  So. Kick. Ass.

Has he ever played a Gradius game? The entire series is incredibly difficult (but that may be due to my ineptitude at side-scrollers in general).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 16, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
Maybe I'm a Nintendo loyalist deep down inside, but I'm excited! It sounds great (from what we know). It sounds like it is correcting the flaws of the Gamecube and Wii. I mean, we're talking HD, a more mature (and Western) focused-demographic, greatly improved motion/move tracking capability, and a more basic controller (I was never that fond of the Wiimote). AWESOME!!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
The 1 and 2 were unnecessary and only there to make you look at the wiimote when commanded to use them.

Honestly I'd like two wireless nunchucks, one w joystick and one with ABXY buttons in snes format, plus L, R, and L and R triggers. Maybe with antennae on the tip to indicate where to point for motion stuff, but they should both look like Bender's antenna. My dream controller setup. Maybe have popout or plugin peripherals like extra buttons, extra joystick, and Dpad, but these shouldn't be required to play most games.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »
Yeah, the Wii is fun, but some things could benefit from the motion control. Someone has been telling me about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Good Wii game, but you don't get anything from the Wii's motion control. You can't even point your dudes to go this way with it. You just D-Pad them.

Portable systems make me angry. Either the games aren't terribly intriguing or they wouldn't do well for a portable system. If you're reading a text-heavy game (like an RPG) in a moving car, you're prolly gonna get sick.

... also, my L button is broken on my DS, so there goes LARA, running away from battles, and getting through the factory...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 17, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »

*Sigh* I seriously wish these modern first-person shooters would get away from the tired old cliches that they've grown in and of themselves. Those cliches include, but aren't limited to:

- Overblown, emotional storylines and character deaths
- Linear levels
- Arbitrary ranking systems and unlocks 

Naturally, every new FPS out there will claim that they'll buck the trends of previous FPS games out there. But one publicity stunt later, they'll merrily rip off of Call Of Duty. Now, this isn't to say that every FPS out there is lame for copying each other. No, my true complaint is how these games fail to deliver on their promises and mission statements, despite the fact that they literally promised to do exactly the opposite and instead turned out to be just another gritty, overblown shooter that takes itself far too seriously.

Finally, it’s worth making one last point. Labelling other games as “pretentious” and going out of the way to ridicule them is – in itself – the highest form of pretentiousness. And when you fail to actually shake off those tired cliches, it’s also the highest form of hypocrisy.

@Developers of these games: I'm as tired of the same old cliches as you are. But if you fail to break free from them – and fail to deliver a viable alternative - you’re part of the problem, not the solution.

Quote from: Mary Poppins
Promises are like pie crusts. Easily made, easily broken.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »
[youtube]sdID58d0A6o[/youtube]
 :o

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2051 on: April 21, 2011, 06:44:21 pm »
[youtube]daoOSfetFiI[/youtube]

The trailer is not what I was expecting, I want to see some hint of story and a little less focus in gameplay(there was a lot of focus in gameplay in the last trailer too), but a Zelda game is always a promise of a good game for me... I promised to never doubt Miyamoto again after I played Wind Waker  :P... Plus, the character at the end of the trailer is intriguing. I want NOW.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:46:47 pm by Licawolf »

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 24, 2011, 09:21:17 pm »
I'm about 8 years late to Dark Cloud 2 hitting my sweet, succulent lips and I'm loving every second of it. Has anyone else played it?

The crafting system is like Vagrant Story on ecstasy, so adorable~

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »
I am a bit disappointed that it looks like OoT and TP, but... well... okay, no I'm not. I don't get tired of Link kicking ass.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 26, 2011, 01:06:41 am »
Man, sometimes you just have to say, "holy shit!"

While it seems incredibly experimental - possibly to a fault - it's still pretty damn intriguing. Can't wait for this one.