Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192716 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2055 on: April 26, 2011, 06:39:13 am »
Man, sometimes you just have to say, "holy shit!"

While it seems incredibly experimental - possibly to a fault - it's still pretty damn intriguing. Can't wait for this one.
WTF INCEPTION!! (Or Elephant's Dream; whatever you call the style) I love that style! Each step you take the tiles come to your aide. Never get tired seeing this. XD AND NOW IT'S A GAME!

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:22 am »
Ohh, Bastion! I listened to a talk about the game from the main developer last fall, and narrative-wise, he is trying something very interesting: the narration branches dramatically depending on what you do in the game. I can't imagine the amount of voice acting that must have gone into that.

(He was also one of those annoying "story doesn't matter in games, gameplay comes first always and ever" types, but who cares because the narration idea is really cool and Bastion looks gorgeous.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:43:10 pm by Syna »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 27, 2011, 12:52:05 am »
Yeah, something tells me Bastion's story isn't liable to be incredibly deep, but the narration sounds astoundingly witty in terms of raw textual quality. Quite impressive.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 28, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »
I'm not sure if any of you seen this, but Final Fantasy XV is rumored to be shown on the Project Cafe ( Nintendo console ) this E3.

http://purenintendo.com/2011/04/26/more-project-cafe-rumors-games-to-be-shown-off-at-e3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PureNintendo+%28pure+nintendo

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #2059 on: April 30, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
If anyone still cared about Final Fantasy XV, this might be big news! [/ohsnap]

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 30, 2011, 06:04:55 pm »
I really only want to hear about FFXV once Wada is fired (and it's bound to happen sometime soon considering the brown streaks he keeps leaving on the creative department's projects). I'm honestly really optimistic about FFVersusXIII, if only because Nomura has complete creative control and marketers have very little involvement. Sakaguchi should really just be made CEO of SE by now, if not him then Nomura or Matsuno; they understand video games as a storytelling medium and it makes no sense for a company that produces and publishes video games to be run by someone who knows dick about them.

Also they should start worrying about how they number the installments, it's gonna be silly hearing things like "Final Fantasy Seventeen" in a few years.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 01, 2011, 01:48:35 am »
Also they should start worrying about how they number the installments, it's gonna be silly hearing things like "Final Fantasy Seventeen" in a few years.

Nah, that's what makes the irony more funny with each passing number... :lol:

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2062 on: May 03, 2011, 01:55:25 am »
Here is the thing, FFXIII had a good system, it genuinely keeps you on your toes and it's really fun, but you're so restricted by plot-blocks that when you're finally allowed to customize everyone's paradigms, it doesn't matter because: 1) you're already too far through the ones that matter and 2) the game is nearly over. I don't even mind the linear crawl through the game as that keeps me interested; gamers aren't as patient these days and a world map usually just serves to disguise linearity anyway. And honestly, it's an interesting approach to take, as it gave the game more of a cinematic flair and heightened the believability that you're being hunted down by a very persistent army and all of Cocoon thinks you're monsters (hence 'no towns', cursed wanted people aren't going to be allowed to take a snooze in your inn). The cast is pretty great too, besides Hope, whose development sort of starts and ends with one thing, halfway through the game. And that soundtrack? Holy shit it's gorgeous.

The game has everything it NEEDS to be great, and falls just short of that. It's a blast to run through, but it isn't something I can see myself going back to to grind in. If they learn from their mistakes with XIII-2 and restrict you less and give you more roaming (which is likely, since the conflict is resolved by this point), it could be really fun. That's why it bothers me when people say "Final Fantasy is ruined forever!!", since really, it isn't, they're trying (good) new things and making mistakes with them. 13 is really like it or hate it, but certainly not love it. 14 however, WAS a mistake, but at least they fired the development team and gave it a new one, so it's being adjusted and improved.

I'm honestly looking forward to XIII-2, Versus, and XV. And hey, Type-0 on the PSP looks great so far.

ok i'm done bitchin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:58:23 am by Romana »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2063 on: May 03, 2011, 04:18:30 am »
That's why it bothers me when people say "Final Fantasy is ruined forever!!", since really, it isn't, they're trying (good) new things and making mistakes with them. 13 is really like it or hate it, but certainly not love it. 14 however, WAS a mistake, but at least they fired the development team and gave it a new one, so it's being adjusted and improved.
That's exactly what I needed to hear. XDDD

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2064 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:34 am »

Nah, that's what makes the irony more funny with each passing number... :lol:

No more or less ironic than the 'World Series' and there's been quite a few of those...

That's why it bothers me when people say "Final Fantasy is ruined forever!!", since really, it isn't, they're trying (good) new things and making mistakes with them. 13 is really like it or hate it, but certainly not love it. 14 however, WAS a mistake, but at least they fired the development team and gave it a new one, so it's being adjusted and improved.
That's exactly what I needed to hear. XDDD

Yeah, it's tough to say that the series is dead forever or to have any real lasting opinion of the series since, as a series, it's a loosely fit together jumble of different development teams' imaginations...It's really just barely a series at all when you get right down to it...Hell, it took them over 10 games to start making actual sequels of some of them!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 03, 2011, 08:29:27 am »
Just tried the legendary game Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) today, and it will probably become my favorite platformer game so far.
But anyway, I need to play more to make a conclusion.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »
999's purple prose almost killed the experience for me, but damned if it didn't keep me guessing til the end. Well played.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2067 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:40 pm »
In case anyone remembers, the Smithsonian released the winners of their Art of Video Games public poll (the winners get to be part of a new video game art exhibit)...

While there are clearly some that won on name recognition, I think quite a few actually won that had the better artistic flare! BioShock beat out heavyweights Halo & Gears of War...but sadly, Chrono Trigger & Earthbound both lost out to Link to the Past, which is understandable to a degree...but while it was my favorite LoZ, I admit that a lot of it didn't look as good as it could have. Also, glad to see Phantasy Star get a couple nods, unfortunately Shining Force 2 was still in Adventure with End of the Millennium when it should have been under Combat/Strategy like all the OTHER SRPGs listed....

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2068 on: May 06, 2011, 11:19:58 am »
Zelda truly stole the show! I'm happy with that, but it's a shame CT is not going to be exhibition.  :| Oh well... let's hope there's a next time, I'm happy to see videogames being recognized as a potential artistic medium.

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 07, 2011, 05:15:18 pm »
So I finally have a high-end gaming PC. It's glory incarnate with an extra USB port.

I'm already downloading the Bioware suite (even though I've heard nothing but complaints about Dragon Age 2). Any recommendations?