Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199451 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #2025 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »
On a newer topic, I'm beginning to consider Radiant Historia as a spiritual successor to the Chrono games. There are far too many similarities. For instance, Master Vainqueur, a talking monster residing in a place of limbo and the "Master of Martial Arts" who teaches the party new skills. How is that not Spekkio?! :o

Not to mention the fallen kingdom of great power, the crazed queen, a plot to prevent unstoppable destruction... Oh, almost forgot time travel and the hopping of two dimensions.

This game is awesome.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 01, 2011, 12:42:03 am »
I just beat Pokemon Black. Awesome, awesome game. :D

Really? I can't seem to get into it. I mean, the upgrades from previous versions are great, and I even caught a shiny Roggenrola just starting out, but it all seems repetitive to me.
I love it. It's very much story driven this time around. The game ACTUALLY HAS A CLIMAX.

Anyway, I heard Radiant Historia is pretty fuckin' great. I'm definitely gonna try it out soon.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 01, 2011, 01:42:35 am »
Anyway, I heard Radiant Historia is pretty fuckin' great. I'm definitely gonna try it out soon.

Make that two. I've been wondering wether to get it or not, but considering what I've been hearing about it, I guess I'll shall give it a try to find out for myself.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 01, 2011, 02:40:22 am »
I'm definitely gettin Radiant Historia right after I beat Black Sigil. One Chrono inspired DS game at a time.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:39 am »
I have finished Radiant Historia and I'd love to buy a 3ds to make it look even better in all honesty the music is really nice , and although its linear with the chance to do a few sidequests along the way , the idea of hopping between two parallels is incorporated simply and nicely.The game does have a few difficulty and balancing problems against monsters in the end but other then that its an amazing game and I hope they make a sequel ...prequel ...whatever XD

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #2030 on: April 04, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »
I have finished Radiant Historia and I'd love to buy a 3ds to make it look even better
You might not want to do that, as from what I understand due to the differing screen resolutions between the two systems DS games tend to look significantly worse when played on the 3DS.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:27 am »
I've recently been wandering around a site called "Unseen64", which archives a ton of records on old betas and cancelled games. A few of the games-in-progress would have really struck my fancy:

Shadow Stalker - SNES

Felicia - SNES (almost looks like Valkyrie Profile, but stylistically a teeny bit like Bahamut Lagoon)

Record of the Elf Saga - PSX

Man! The things that could have been.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 06, 2011, 04:47:36 pm »
Three years after its release, I finally got Spore. Having been really excited for the game and having heard not-nice things after its release, I was a little leery but eventually took the plunge. I have been rather nicely surprised for the most part: it is quite fun and addictive (though not as addictive as, say, one of the Civilization games). Alas, the worst part is already knowing that the closest thing to a sequel is Darkspore. At least, that is the closest thing that has been released.

It is a sad because what made the game so  exciting to hear about was its potential, and it still has a lot of potential that it seems like a sequel could fulfill. The "cell" stage, for example, is in the current manifestation really just the low-fat version of the creature stage. It would be great if in a sequel it was made more cellular: for example, "evolving" mitochondria for energy, or being able to get a cell wall for protection (and reduced speed), or getting chloroplast, or the sort. Or with the creature stage: since evolution is driven by the environment, having the environment influence what one needs to do in order to survive would be a great addition.

As a game in itself, Spore is fun. But as a series, I really want more.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #2033 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:04 pm »
If you see the original demo videos, they used to have a more realistic idea in mind for the cell stage , but EA wanted something more simplistic and accesible. Also they cut-out the sea-creature stage, so they just mixed both stages in one (what a shame).

The game is fun though, I used to love playing around with the creature creator, and I'm still impressed by the HUGE size of the galaxy in the space stage, no way near as big as a real galaxy of course, but fairly impressive for a videogame  :shock:

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 06, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »
I finished Dragon Age 2. It was terrible and brilliant and frustrating. I'm still recovering from the weighted feeling the storyline gave me -- god, it was depressing -- but it attempted things that no other game I'm aware of has tried and I love it. This review sums it up best for me, I think: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/138283-dragon-age-ii-making-the-case-for-quality-games/

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:42 am »
If you see the original demo videos, they used to have a more realistic idea in mind for the cell stage , but EA wanted something more simplistic and accesible. Also they cut-out the sea-creature stage, so they just mixed both stages in one (what a shame).

Aye, I saw that ages ago. Really, every part of that video is better than the game that was actually released. I don't mind the "cute" style they went for. Considering the Sims and the sort, the current Spore style really does fit in with Will Wights other work better. But oh the unfulfilled potential! The Tribal Stage, while fun-enough, is essentially a mocking parody of what it was in 2005. I generally try to focus on the game that we have: it is fun, but it just can't hold a candle to that. All the more reason to hope for a sequel. Maybe they'll be able to implement some of the things they weren't able to before.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:21 am »
I finished Dragon Age 2. It was terrible and brilliant and frustrating. I'm still recovering from the weighted feeling the storyline gave me -- god, it was depressing -- but it attempted things that no other game I'm aware of has tried and I love it. This review sums it up best for me, I think: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/138283-dragon-age-ii-making-the-case-for-quality-games/

Aww :( I really enjoyed it , Im so glad it was voiced and stuff because it helped me get attached to the Hawke family easier , which in turn would make me choose ...'certain' decisions. Im on my third playthrough atm xD I have to say my mage female playthrough was the funnest !

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 08, 2011, 11:20:54 am »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I adored it! Bioware would have to try very hard to prevent me from enjoying any game of theirs; it's just that from a critical perspective, there are many flaws. Hopefully DA3 has a development cycle that is more than 18 months. I really think that was a lot of the problem.

I absolutely love my sardonic rogue Lady Hawke and her wily, wily ways, but I'm looking forward to a male mage playthrough (as soon as I finish my second DA:O playthrough -- also as a mage -- so I can import that XD). I imagine the game will be even more dramatic because the storyline is so much about mages. Viva La (Mage) Revolución!!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:45 pm »
Just found a great site that keeps tabs on indie game devs. It lists job opportunities too!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:17:15 pm by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile