Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199762 times)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1650 on: March 23, 2010, 08:05:29 am »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1651 on: March 23, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »
Shee, what do you mean find a chest to use...?

Dialga_Palkia, I don't see where your link and your game questions intertwine (if they're supposed to)...What does a possibly 3D Nintendo platform (*groan*@3Dtechnology.org) have to do with those two games...? I think I've asked before, but has there been any precedence for a Square game that came out on a Sony platform first being ported to a Nintendo console (if that's what you were trying to imply)...? I still think it much more likely that Cross could be given an enhanced port onto the PSP (or, more likely, just a regular port onto PSN)...and I believe there's actually been official word (well, I read it on their FB feed anyhow...>_>) that Square's looking into possibly remaking FFVII (which I think is absolutely absurd because 6 comes before 7, dammit!!)...

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:22 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds

chrono cross anyone? final fantasy vii?

Mario's Tennis for the Virtual Boy?

Oh gawd, the horror.  :lol:

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
V, I'm assuming you're not using mods....your best bet to keep loot is to get a chest to put it all in.  Now I'm not too sure how the regeneration works with chests and boxes strewn all over the cities, so it's probably not safe to use those.  But if you buy a house, (Imperial City being the cheapest by far) your stuff will stay in that chest forever.  If not, I guess raise your strength?  Or try to find some jewelry with a Feather on it, or make one when you're nice and far into the Mage's Guild.

Btw you've inspired me to start again for the umpteenth time, but I'm still playing with mods.  I got fairly far in the Theives Guild and decently into the Dark Brotherhood (which was the JAM) but pretty goshdarn far into the Mage's Guild before, never too far past Cloud Ruler Temple in the Main Quest.  About to where gates pop up outside of towns.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54:31 pm »
Oh yeah, I think I got a place fairly early by becoming a Knight Errant of the Knights of the White Stallion in Leyawiin...you get the keys to a two-person shack called the White Stallion Lodge...but it's kind of out of the way and I never stay in one place for long anyhow...So I pretty much do just keep the Feather spell handy, but getting a boost at levels is still just all-around nice. I'm a female Breton this try and focusing on the Bow & Light Armor (also try to travel with a silver dagger, but I recently sold it for a steel one when I forgot that one of the reasons I was keeping it was for against ghosts so I have an alternative if I run out of silver arrows or something I guess...maybe I don't need it...hmmm...) and some poison (I do so love it when enemies have negative status effects...it makes me all warm inside) and some sight magics (making up for the fact that I'm not Khajiit I guess)...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:42 am »
I've been watching my boyfriend play through God of War III.  Damn, that game is intense.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:42 pm »
I downloaded Cave Story for the Wii on release day.  I'm still on my first playthrough, which I've decided to make a complete playthrough.  That is to say I'm taking all steps necessary to open up the secret Sanctuary level at the end of the game.  I forgot just how frustrating getting to the Sanctuary is, as it denies you so many useful weapons and items throughout most of the game.  The new soundtrack, though it took some getting used to, is superbly done, and I cannot complain about the graphics updates one bit.

Not sure how many others here have played it or are even interested, so I will leave off there.

Edit:  Oops!  Forgot to check the previous page.  

Quote from: Delta Dragon
#2: The new translation was stupid for 2 main reasons one being minor the other major.  The minor is they changed Grass town to Bush land.  Come on, seriously?!  The Major.  I'm still ticked about it.  Thay changed Balrog's awesome and classic "Huzzah!" to "Oh yeah!"  Yay we went from one of my favorite video game villains to the Kool-Aid man.  *Groan*

I do wish they hadn't gone the Kool-Aid Man route with Balrog.  Also, I think I noticed an unintentional grammatical error in the Physician's dialog.  The translation does leaves something to be desired.

#3: The sacred grounds speed run.  I suppose this is minor but it still bugs me.  Every time you die you have to pick up your guns, health, and they don't even give you the option to use the Machine gun, Snake, or Missile launcher.  Alone those would be bad, but together they're downright stupid.

At least you got there!  I'm still struggling in the Labyrinth.  Come to think of it, that may be due to the fact that I'm using the Wiimote instead of the Classic Controller...

I understand how fans of the original might not like the new soundtrack.  At first listen it seems to lack the energy of the original, but I came to appreciate its subtlety, especially in the Core Room before the beginning of the fight.  Such a haunting melody...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:31:55 pm by Uboa »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:30 pm »
I finally decided to go along with the main quest for once and closed my first Oblivion gate and now I've got a nifty katana which I'll see about enchanting with Feather because it's far heavier (5x) than my current choice of melee, a knife (some fancy light thing that drains intelligence and something or other else)...I should also look into leveling my Blade a bit, I guess...I'm now past Journeyman in both Mage & Fighter Guilds (Evoker & Swordsman, respectively) and close to Expert (I think that's the one after Journeyman, right? At 75?) on a few skills, which will be nice because I already bought a few spells in advance...

Oh yeah, and the XBOX Live Game Room totally sucks balls. There's only like two games I would even consider playing if they were completely free...Seriously, how are they going to come even close to curbing emulation if they keep pulling crap like this?

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 27, 2010, 05:26:40 am »
I downloaded Cave Story for the Wii on release day.  I'm still on my first playthrough, which I've decided to make a complete playthrough.  That is to say I'm taking all steps necessary to open up the secret Sanctuary level at the end of the game.  I forgot just how frustrating getting to the Sanctuary is, as it denies you so many useful weapons and items throughout most of the game.  The new soundtrack, though it took some getting used to, is superbly done, and I cannot complain about the graphics updates one bit.

Not sure how many others here have played it or are even interested, so I will leave off there.

Edit:  Oops!  Forgot to check the previous page.  

Quote from: Delta Dragon
#2: The new translation was stupid for 2 main reasons one being minor the other major.  The minor is they changed Grass town to Bush land.  Come on, seriously?!  The Major.  I'm still ticked about it.  Thay changed Balrog's awesome and classic "Huzzah!" to "Oh yeah!"  Yay we went from one of my favorite video game villains to the Kool-Aid man.  *Groan*

I do wish they hadn't gone the Kool-Aid Man route with Balrog.  Also, I think I noticed an unintentional grammatical error in the Physician's dialog.  The translation does leaves something to be desired.

#3: The sacred grounds speed run.  I suppose this is minor but it still bugs me.  Every time you die you have to pick up your guns, health, and they don't even give you the option to use the Machine gun, Snake, or Missile launcher.  Alone those would be bad, but together they're downright stupid.

At least you got there!  I'm still struggling in the Labyrinth.  Come to think of it, that may be due to the fact that I'm using the Wiimote instead of the Classic Controller...

I understand how fans of the original might not like the new soundtrack.  At first listen it seems to lack the energy of the original, but I came to appreciate its subtlety, especially in the Core Room before the beginning of the fight.  Such a haunting melody...
What items/weapons do you have to leave behind to get to the "sanctuary?"  Really the only thing you lose is you have to go without the booster for a while.

About the ...Okay I'm just gonna call it sacred grounds.  I was talking about the option you have to play it on the main menu.  Every single time you start or die you have to get your weapons and health while listening to the song every time you pick something up while they still leave out some of my favorite guns.

Soundtrack.  Well maybe it's just me, but in my view, if your gonna remix a soundtrack, especially if you get payed to do it you need to make it equal to or better than the original.  And the only songs that I've found that I believe are actually superior are the Sandzone song, Living water way, and when you get a Health upgrade.  There are probably others, but there are a heck of a lot of them that sound like they weren't even trying.  Just listen to the main Cave story theme.  It's pretty obvious which one has the better quality.  There are a few songs that aren't bad, but I just can't help but feel what was the point if they're not as good as the original. 

Maybe I'm being too critical being that I'm a big Cave story and cave story soundtrack fan, but it still urks me.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: March 27, 2010, 07:15:37 am »
A while ago I did discover that you have the option of selecting more than "story mode" off the bat.  I just assumed that boss rush and such would be unlockables.  Silly me!  And, you are right.  That particular mode for the Sanctuary/Sacred Gounds/Hell time attack is frustrating.

I'm almost to the point where I can run Hell (I actually prefer "Hell") the way it was meant to be run.  But, sadly, I did not get to the clock in time, so I won't be able to time my runs.  Looks like that will have to happen on my "alternate character" run, and I'll just have to practice this time around. 

(I did just manage to beat the game wearing the mimiga mask, though!)

Also, to answer your question about leaving things behind:  It had been so long since I last played Cave Story that I thought you could not accept the machine gun from Curly if you wanted to get to Hell.  I'm actually glad that I did not accept it, though, because ultimate weapons make the Uboa happy...  :D

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »
I beat Xenogears the other day and have to say that it was a pretty damn good game, though the budget cuts definitely hurt the overall experience. If they had paced it out the way originally planned and given a full budget, it would have been a top contender for the greatest RPG of all time, but as it stands it's still a very good game and very strong story-wise (though I expected it to be much more convoluted and confusing based on what people I had told me --- I found it very easy to follow).

Anyway, I'm giving VI a shot and am about 3 or 4 hours into it. Yeah, I'm starting to see the appeal of it, the cast is pretty cool and there's some cool the music, but the pacing of the game is pretty poor in comparison to other Final Fantasy games. While I do like it, I still think that VI is the game for VII haters to flock to. The biggest highlight so far was the Ultros boss fight.

"Don't tease the octopus, kids!"

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:42 am »
I found VI to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than VII. I feel it had a much better cast, better plot, music, etc. It was just a better experience in my opinion.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 30, 2010, 06:55:36 am »
I found VI to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than VII. I feel it had a much better cast, better plot, music, etc. It was just a better experience in my opinion.

The strongest thing VI has going for it is the cast. That really is a strong cast of characters, and music-wise there are some of the series' best tracks, but there are a lot of weak links in the soundtrack wheras the entire FFVII soundtrack is the best the series has ever done; period. VI has a good soundtrack, but it really is a transition soundtrack between the older style of FF music and VII's aesthetic. I'll give big points to "The Decisive Battle" as being one of my favorite songs of the Final Fantasy series. That song has special meaning to me because back when I was 12 and started playing VI for the first time I was living in an abusive household with a not-so-nice stepfather (to say the least). It took an outsider to explain to me that I was undergoing domestic abuse, and so I came up with a plan to get my stepfather "caught in the act" of attacking my mother by waiting for the next time he struck her to call my friends and get them to "come over with weapons" and "hold him off til the police come". The plan was for me to call them and them to come over and after calling them call the police. To save time, I made a code word that meant, "It's time. Get over here NOW." The code word was "paladin". Any way, long story short, the song I had in my head when planning that scenario was "The Decisive Battle", so the song has special meaning to me. And for those wondering how it went, the plan was never put into action and we ended up just moving all the shit out of the house in the middle of the day when he was at work and high-tailed it 3 states away from him. Oh, nostalgia.

Anyway, plot-wise, I haven’t gotten far enough into VI to really judge it, but I can say this; in terms of immersion and pacing of the storyline and the feel of the world, VI is actually probably on the lower tier of my list of Final Fantasy games. Honestly, I got into V a lot faster than I got into VI. Just about every other Final Fantasy game I’ve played has a better level of immersion than VI. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really digging the characters and the quirky dialogue, but I’m not instantly caring about the importance of the overall landscape of the game. And to those who may argue I haven’t played RPGs in a while and may just not have that ability, I’ll tell you that I got into Xenogears and, to a lesser extent, XII (though certain aspects of that game make me cringe). I think that VI is much better than XII in terms of, gameplay, music and cast, but XII definitely makes you feel the tension of the conflict much better than VI (at least at this point). And I have no bias against older FF games, as I think that IV is better than all other Final Fantasies excluding VII and perhaps Tactics.

Basically, VI is good, but overrated and people just need to admit that the reason VII is the most popular is because it’s the best. It’s like people who like The Stones more than The Beatles. Yeah, The Stones are pretty good, but come on, The Beatles freakin’ crush them. There’s no comparison. And personally, I like The Kinks better than The Stones (despite still digging The Stones quite a bit). For analogy purposes, VII is The Beatles (the most popular one due to the fact that it’s the best), VI is The Rolling Stones (still pretty cool and something for people who don’t want to cite the more popular one as their favorite but nowhere near as good) and Tactics is The Kinks (underrated and amazingly kickass and probably better than The Rolling Stones anyway).

And then Xenogears is probably Rush or something.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:30 am »
VII is waaaaaay low on the list of my FFs. It's just so... dull. I played to the end of the first disk and quite of boredom. Now, the soundtrack was very well done. Every FF except I, II, & III had great soundtracks. I loved IV, V, and VI. VII is probably one of my least favorite. I've only played VIII for five minutes, so I can't pass judgement on that on. IX is my second favorite RPG of all time.

For me, IX had it all. The best soundtrack, cast, gameplay, world, etc. I loved the ATE's that you could watch. The characters had so much depth. The only think I didn't like was the random-ass final boss. >_<

To each their own, though.

What RPGs are at the top of your list, BearFrog?

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »
Well, off the top of my head (not in a particular definitive order, but vaguely the order they'd go in):

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Guardian's Crusade
Dragon Warrior Monsters