Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 195455 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1680 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:18 pm »
Turns out it was a corrupted drive, dunno how that happened but considering the new firmware update was released around the same time, it's a little suspicious...

Anyway, I used the recovery menu and used a restore function to get my PS3 working again. It kept all of my save data too!

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:03 pm »
Okay, so I'mabout 11 hours into VI. Kefka recently destroyed most of the world, Terra's laying around in bed and my only party consists of Celes and Sabin (though I'm about to get Edgar back in my party). I think something that sets me back from VI a lot is what I percieve as stupdity and unrealistic actions by the main cast, like them actually trusting the empire. Honestly, Locke, Celes and Terra seem to make consistently bad decisions. And I have no idea what Setzer's motivations for hanging out with the party are. That said, Mog and Edgar are pretty awesome, and Kefka is a pretty good villain (as is Ultros). Also, after hearing more of the soundtrack, I have to say that while it does have some strong songs, it's nowhere near as good as VI, or even VII for that matter. However, as an overall game, I'll still rank it above VII.

VI, thus far, still ranks in my lower tier of Final Fantasy games. Not even close to touching VII, IV or Tactics, and still a significant leap from IX and X, but still better than XII and VII. Actually, I feel like XII and VI suffer from a lot of the same problems with seemingly stupid decisions by major cast members and a lack of realistic motivations.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1682 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:01 pm »
BearFrog, know that I say this with all of the care in the world, but either use Arabic numerals or learn how to use Roman numerals right.

Quote from: BearFrog
...it's nowhere near as good as VI, or even VII for that matter. However, as an overall game, I'll still rank it above VII.

VI, thus far, still ranks in my lower tier of Final Fantasy games. Not even close to touching VII, IV or Tactics...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »
I think something that sets me back from VI a lot is what I percieve as stupdity and unrealistic actions by the main cast, like them actually trusting the empire. Honestly, Locke, Celes and Terra seem to make consistently bad decisions. And I have no idea what Setzer's motivations for hanging out with the party are.

Actually, both situations aren't what you think. True, they decided to trust on the Empire, however, not entirely, as they were still suspicious about it. In fact, if they hadn't, they probably wouldn't have been able to escape Vector when the Empire dropped their act.

And then, about Setzer, he himself mentioned he liked the risk the party was doing in confronting the Empire. Being a man to place gambling above all else, it certainly sounded like he would enjoy it if he joined (despite the fact he indirectly thanked the Empire for being in the position he was, but for him, the risk would increase, and as such, the motivation to join in). And then... well, you have yet to arrive there, you'll see.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:14:59 pm by Acacia Sgt »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 07, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
Okay not sure if anyone already said anything about this, but here we go.  Pokemon Heart Gold.

I got the game yesterday and by now just beat the second gym leader.  Unless things take a major major drop from here on this game has been really really great.  Not only is it a, from what I can tell, well done remake of one of my favorite Pokemon games, (Unlike a certain side scrolling shooter  :x ) but it also seems that they've cleared up a lot of the problems with Diamond and Pearl.  For example the touch screen.  In Pearl you could use it for some things but not all.  So far the only thing I've found that you can't do with it is walk around.  And for me that's really handy since my A and L buttons both suck. 

So yeah, looking forward to continuing that. 

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 07, 2010, 11:34:10 pm »
I think something that sets me back from VI a lot is what I percieve as stupdity and unrealistic actions by the main cast, like them actually trusting the empire. Honestly, Locke, Celes and Terra seem to make consistently bad decisions. And I have no idea what Setzer's motivations for hanging out with the party are.

Actually, both situations aren't what you think. True, they decided to trust on the Empire, however, not entirely, as they were still suspicious about it. In fact, if they hadn't, they probably wouldn't have been able to escape Vector when the Empire dropped their act.

And then, about Setzer, he himself mentioned he liked the risk the party was doing in confronting the Empire. Being a man to place gambling above all else, it certainly sounded like he would enjoy it if he joined (despite the fact he indirectly thanked the Empire for being in the position he was, but for him, the risk would increase, and as such, the motivation to join in). And then... well, you have yet to arrive there, you'll see.

I know they "didn't trust" the empire and whatnot and tried to "stay on their toes" but obviously they failed at that BIG TIME and they still seemed too trusting. The whole "pst apocalypse" thing is pretty cool, though, and I think that only works with a cast this incompetent. Cloud wouldn't let that shit happen on his watch.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1686 on: April 08, 2010, 03:22:29 am »
When you get down to it, it was just something to lead up to the double-double-cross by Kefka...that pesky little scamp! And it thus leads us to the WoR where everyone is hopeless and untrusting...it's all sorts of cohesive & comprehensive! The only person I could never understand was Tina/Terra, but I can forgive her for being an emotionless softy...Yeah, Setzer is after Edgar...and I still attest that he and Shadow are the only cool characters designed by Nomura...well, I guess Vincent too...

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1687 on: April 08, 2010, 02:36:30 pm »
My thoughts on Soul Silver:

-Hey, mom, glad to see you called. Can you do me a favor? QUIT SENDING ME F*CKING BERRIES!

-"I'm Cameron the Photographer! I like taking pictures of ten year old boys/girls, out in the field and even offer to let them use my private studio so they can dress up. There's NOTHING sketchy about that!"

-Is it just me, or did they add in a ton of innuendo into the dialog, especially regarding the fishing rods?

-I used my most under-equipped party in history(i.e., no legendaries, no pokemon above level 46, 3 full restores and only a couple of max revives) and beat the Elite Four with very little trouble. The challenge is kind of lacking there.

All around however, I loved the plot and the characters of the original Silver and Gold, and with all of the new generations, levels, items, features and graphics, etc. this is probably the best Pokemon game that they've come out with since the original Silver and Gold.

And now for a side note: 5th Generation will be much better than people are predicting if they stick to 50 or so new, original, creative pokemon, rather than 100 more with the new Pidgey, Rattata, Butterfree expys. I think we all learned our lesson after Bidoof.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1688 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:23 pm »
-Is it just me, or did they add in a ton of innuendo into the dialog, especially regarding the fishing rods?

That's just left over from the original G/S/C. The guy who localized those (and all the games until Platinum) is a SomethingAwful goon, hence the innuendos and internet references ("My Pokémon is fight!"). Whoever's doing the localization now is pretty bad. They also changed some pervy instances from the originals - "Wow! This gym is full of women!" -> "Wow! This gym is full of powerful trainers!"

-I used my most under-equipped party in history(i.e., no legendaries, no pokemon above level 46, 3 full restores and only a couple of max revives) and beat the Elite Four with very little trouble. The challenge is kind of lacking there.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying (besides Lance, holy hell those Dragonites are assholes). It's just to help spread out the game's difficulty across Johto and Kanto, but yeah I agree it does feel slightly lacking compared to some other Elite Four encounters.

All around however, I loved the plot and the characters of the original Silver and Gold, and with all of the new generations, levels, items, features and graphics, etc. this is probably the best Pokemon game that they've come out with since the original Silver and Gold.

I think both this and Platinum are the best Pokémon games, in their own ways. HG/SS is the most fun to me, but the lack of the PokéRadar and VS Seeker annoys me. :( I'm so used to those. Because of that, Platinum feels like the best choice for EV training and grinding. I've certainly been playing HG a lot more than Platinum, in any case.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »
Yeah, Setzer is after Edgar

SPOILER

Thanks for ruining the game for me. I am never playing it ever again.

Until later today.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »
My biggest nuisances with the new Pokemon games are 1) the phone; 2) the lack of a VS Seeker; and 3) egg hatching in Goldenrod.

The phone does bring (or revive) something unique to the game. However, its replacement with the simple VS Seeker in order to have rematches and those damn annoying calls more than adds to the negativity to which I give it (I swear, the phone service must be superb to get calls deep within caves and mountains).

Also, the available space between the Daycare and Goldenrod is comparatively much shorter than it is in the last two generations, so hatching eggs becomes a daunting task. But that's just me complaining.

Overall though, HeartGold and SoulSilver receive the best rating from me over any other Pokemon game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1691 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:17 pm »
Yeah, Setzer is after Edgar

SPOILER

Thanks for ruining the game for me. I am never playing it ever again.

Until later today.

How is that a spoiler? Did you not think you'd be getting Setzer back? How does knowing who you'll be able to get next (it's open world enough so that it doesn't need to be him, I think, but he is the final necessary character! HA!) somehow a spoiler?

Anyway, I beat Too Human as a Cybernetic Defender...It's really short, but I suppose there's some kind of NG+ feature that'll allow me to play through with my prior stats, which would be more fun if I weren't a Defender (which is an ok class, but I want to try one of the more offensive ones)...

I started up Armored Core for Answer and it's pretty fun (though I had some issues choosing button layout in the start), though I kind of miss the old-style HUD...looks amazing though...

I also feel like maybe playing Mass Effect again. I know I want to do the 2nd playthrough of my 1st game as well as start a new game with a different class...I still wish I had ME2, though I know I probably won't want to play ME1 at all once I do actually get it...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:58:29 pm by V_Translanka »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1692 on: April 08, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »
I've been palying Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Squad. It's a pretty crappy game and I don't know why I am trying to beat it other than the fact that I usually try to beat all my games. I wont' be playing any of the other games.  I hope I have the patience to stick through with beating it because the only real reason I want to finish it is to learn the rest of the plot.

I beat Twilight Princess recently. Really great game, though I still maintain that Wind Waker was the best Zelda game. I wish I could play Spirit Tracks, but that doesn't work right on my card, so I guess the next one I'll be doing is Ocarina of Time.

I need to beat "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg". It's a really cute and cheerful game. It's song- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxEgBnxJpg is just about as addictive as the trolololo song.  It also has this Jpop song in it after the opening, which is nice. I realized the Sonic Team made it. It was cool that I got it for 4 dollars. Nice price for a pretty decent game. It's kind of hard for me and I have never gotten as many game overs before. There are a ton of ways to instantly kill yourself in it.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: April 09, 2010, 12:33:22 am »
BearFrog, know that I say this with all of the care in the world, but either use Arabic numerals or learn how to use Roman numerals right.

...it's nowhere near as good as VI, or even VII for that matter. However, as an overall game, I'll still rank it above VII.

VI, thus far, still ranks in my lower tier of Final Fantasy games. Not even close to touching VII, IV or Tactics...

Yeah, those were typos. This forum is weird in that if I make too long of a post, it doesn't let me see my full post when typing and will scroll up and not allow me to see what I type (as it is doing in this post). Small error on my part. I meant to say that the sound track for VI (6) is nowhere near as good as VII (7) or even VIII (8). As an overall game, I still rank it above VIII (8). I made 3 errors in that post as fas as roman numberals go and am willing to admit that. I apologize for my mistake, but please understand that this board is rather annoying with the way it processes text sometimes.

And to V, let it be know I thought you were talking about Setzer's character motivations being that he was after Edgar the entire time for some reason yet to be revealed to me, like being a former servant of the Figaro empire or something like that. A mere misunderstanding.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1694 on: April 09, 2010, 01:31:33 am »
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/bw/index.html

The fifth generation Pokemon games were literally just announced on the official Pokemon website, and we translated the information within only a few seconds - they will be named Pokemon Black and Pokemon White! The two games will be released in the fall for the Nintendo DS and new information about them will be released on April 15th on their new official website. However, Pokemon Sunday and CoroCoro magazine will likely have information regarding them later this week, which we will post as soon as we get. This is so exciting!!
http://pokebeach.com/2010/04/pokemon-black-and-white-announced-as-fifth-generation-games