Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484431 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4065 on: September 24, 2009, 12:54:08 am »
People are not illegal.

What about clones?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:22 am »
They would probably vote Democratic.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: September 24, 2009, 02:21:02 am »
Daaaamn, every door-to-door canvasser's worst nightmare just played out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_us/us_census_worker_hanged

Poor guy. It's bad enough that America's houses are littered with traps nowadays -- canines that look like the Rancor, people sitting on their porches with Civil-War Era muskets, and even Vietnam War-style pits of death* -- but now people brave enough to put in some footwork are being hunted down viciously.

*Rancor Dog, Civil War Bubba, and Vietnam War spiked-pitfall-on-front-doorstep are true stories from the area I worked in during the Obama Campaign. And that was objectively one of the safer areas to work.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: September 24, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »
 :shock: What in the hell?  That is beyond uncalled-for.  Also, there went some of my desire to ever work for a campaign of any kind, unless they have me canvassing strictly over the phone.  I don't think anybody has figured out a way to telephonically commit murder, yet.

I'm currently frustrated by sleep schedules, specifically the "schedule" part.  I would love to have the ability to spend a glorious 24 hours sleeping, and then be perfectly awake for three days.  That sleep doesn't work like that is currently a great inconvenience to myself and many others I imagine.  Scientists should get on this problem.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4069 on: September 24, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »
I do not find this amusing. While I share in some anti-government sentiment, this is beyond the scope of human compassion. The poor man was just trying to do his job, make some money. He's not representative of the heartlessness of the upper echelons.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:08 pm »
Perhaps President Obama should invoke the Insurrection Act and put down these rebels before they can kill any more of our fellow citizens. I wouldn't mind a few columns of armor showing up in that forlorn backwater to debate the finer points of the constitutional role of government in kicking ass.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: September 24, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »
Careful J, that might spark an all-out war. Obama needs to wait until DARPA's secret Terminators and aerial HK units are ready. Oh, wait -- the HK units are ready at least; we've been using them in Afghanistan all this time.

Uboa, I didn't mean to turn you off from campaign volunteerism in the future -- a ton of work is done over the phones, and I'm sure they'd be happy to have you. Still, face-to-face contact is the meat and potatoes of serious campaigning. It's just that people need to become familiar with the potential dangers out there.

If anyone does volunteer for a campaign, and the field organizer asks if you're willing to put in some footwork, you have a right to demand that the field organizer personally accompany you or pair you up with another volunteer if you feel the least bit uncomfortable. There's so much ra-ra-ra'ing in campaign work and not nearly enough safety training. A field organizer should check, for example, the density of sex offenders in a targeted neighborhood before sending in pretty high school teens used to living in gated communities. There should also be training on how to handle aggressive dogs. There are some tough areas out there, and they're not always easily predictable.

I think it all goes back to the lack of neighborliness in American society. Houses are becoming our fortifications nowadays, armed with vicious dogs ready to eat intruders, and they can't distinguish campaigners from street thugs. One of my greatest concerns are literal drug forts disguised as run-down houses. One drug fort was just busted by the police in a neighborhood adjacent to my former campaign jurisdiction; there were tons of automatic weapons stashed in there. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to approach a house with security cameras in a run-down neighborhood.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:53:22 pm by FaustWolf »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4072 on: September 24, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »
Perhaps President Obama should invoke the Insurrection Act and put down these rebels before they can kill any more of our fellow citizens. I wouldn't mind a few columns of armor showing up in that forlorn backwater to debate the finer points of the constitutional role of government in kicking ass.

That should give the next Republican president all the justification he or she needs to send stormtroopers into Berkeley and other various liberally prone academies. Those places have spawned more domestic terrorism than the backhills of Kaintuck, tyvm.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: September 24, 2009, 04:05:23 pm »
I think it all goes back to the lack of neighborliness in American society. Houses are becoming our fortifications nowadays, armed with vicious dogs ready to eat intruders, and they can't distinguish campaigners from street thugs. One of my greatest concerns are literal drug forts disguised as run-down houses. One drug fort was just busted by the police in a neighborhood adjacent to my former campaign jurisdiction; there were tons of automatic weapons stashed in there. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to approach a house with security cameras in a run-down neighborhood.

I'd think fancy upscale and well kept drug forts would be more of a problem. The appearance of respectability can save a lot of hassle.

Regarding the isolation of the American Populace, don't forget that this also has an environmental, as well as social, impact. Central living with a shared green space would allow for much denser population existence. If nothing else, that would leave more undeveloped space in our country (interestingly, I recently read the proposition that National Parks may be America's greatest invention). But on a more pragmatic level, denser population also means less driving and more effective mass transit -- it might even be possible for more people to get by without car at all!

Of course, I must stress the need for green space. If nothing else, it helps reduce crime levels (maybe; there is less crime in places with a lot of greenery, the why behind it is still being debated).

Though all such issues aside, my wife and I want to someday start our own commune where all our friends could come and live. Dormesq living is the life for us, partially because the American Dream is such a nightmare.

That should give the next Republican president all the justification he or she needs to send stormtroopers into Berkeley and other various liberally prone academies. Those places have spawned more domestic terrorism than the backhills of Kaintuck, tyvm.

I dunno. I've seen the domestic situation in such places and I, at least, was terrified ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:35:19 pm by Thought »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: September 24, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »
I couldn't disagree more, Thought.  After driving across the country I saw a lot more "nothing" than population.  And in my eyes having everyone living densely together screams high crime rate.  The reason why there might be less crime now in area of greenery is because more often than not those end up being higher income areas where crime wouldn't be prevalent regardless if the ground is green or brown or black.

There will never be green space in a dense city.  If someone wants green space, they gotta move out of town for it.  There's plenty out there for everyone.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: September 24, 2009, 05:00:09 pm »
First, “why” areas with green space have less crime is not definitively known, although there is a strong indication that this is in part due to stress relief. Which is more relaxing to you, sitting on a bench looking out across a park or sitting on a bench looking out across a parking lot?

Second, I would argue that higher density only screams higher crime rate to you because of the reason you attribute to green space: poor people tend to be forced into very cramped living spaces; this certainly happens more often than with the middle or upper classes. Rich people live in New York City, yes? Do the areas in which they live have higher crime rates than areas where the rich live spread out?  Unfortunately, very few cities produce SimCity-like reports of crime vs income, so I don't know personally, but I’d expect only a minimal increase in crime rates and those resulting entirely from proximity to areas of high crime, not due to density itself.

Third, regarding the possibility of densely packed cities having green space, I have two words for you: Central Park. If that isn’t enough, then perhaps this word and two letters will be: Washington D.C. But to be more verbose, I’m not advocating for arcologies; rather, it is the suburbs that I believe are a detriment to… well, everything good and decent about human life (okay, I may be over-exaggerating).

And fourth, I fear the day when someone could drive across the United States and see more people than "nothing." We have around 3,794,066 sq miles of land and somewhere around 307,465,000 people. That means each individual could get roughly 1/10th of a square mile to themselves. Living space is often determined by square feet, so to put this in perspective, each person could have a lot of land that is nearly three million sq ft. In contrast, a thousand sq ft home is considered to be small but comfortable.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:01:49 pm by Thought »

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: September 24, 2009, 05:16:08 pm »
I used to live in D.C.  A lot more to that city than monuments and the Mall and cherry blossoms.  Central Park is sweet but is only a small portion of the city.  Other than that, most of what ya said rings fairly well with me.  And don't forget that the suburbs began as an escape of the city.

It makes sense aobut lower income housing and density etc etc etc and I don't feel like higher income area are devoid of crime.  If anything, the monetary value of some crimes in those area is far greater due to the amount of wealth in the area.  But the frequency of crime is more of what I was getting at.  More people equals more crime in my mind.

I'd rather wake up to a beach than a park  8)
In all seriousness though, there is something to be said for the busy ass intersections.  I could sit out on my porch and watch traffic just as easily as I could watch waves break.

And I wouldn't worry about land juuuust yet.  Last I checked there was less than half a million living in Wyoming.  I don't know what in the hell I would do with that much land.  Raise 10,000 chickens maybe?

But like I said, most of what you had is OK by me, I just hate the D.C. goo goo ga ga's......

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: September 24, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »
Actually, I was thinking about the various roundabouts in DC more than the Mall. While they're a horrible idea for directing traffic, I love that the land in the center becomes a park. To my understanding, those are scattered throughout the city fairly evenly, aren't they?

EDIT: As a side note, it is nearly impossible to find a good aerial photo of DC that doesn't focus primarily or exclusively on the Mall and yet isn't so far out as to make it impossible to ID green spaces.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:36:28 pm by Thought »

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: September 24, 2009, 06:14:32 pm »
Yea I've seen a bunch in my random cursing and confusion 8)

The spaces in those roundabouts generally aren't very large, though.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: September 24, 2009, 07:30:33 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of having to walk two miles both ways to get groceries.  I know it's good exercise and all but ugh...it's a pain in the ass.   :?

Also,

In a friend's status update on Facebook, someone commented and spelled "Führer" as "furor".

SERIOUSLY WHY.

:picardno
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:49:10 pm by Sajainta »