Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 485072 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21:09 am »
Death panels. Really. Death panels.

Ive been seeing this word tossed around alot in this topic...

...someone mind giving me an explanation?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 24, 2009, 03:28:00 am »

The legislation previously contained a provision for end-of-life counseling to patients who wanted it. These discussions help inform the patient as to what their options are and what they should prepare for in the final months of life.

Someone, at some point, decided that that meant there would be panels of government bureaucrats established in every hospice and hospital to decide when to pull the plug on grandma.

It's a shame on two levels: First of all, it completely precludes us from a national discussion on the costs of end-of-life healthcare, which are unbelievably high. Second of all, it scares the daylights out of old people and the infirm, who are made to think that the government is going to come kill them.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 24, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

The legislation previously contained a provision for end-of-life counseling to patients who wanted it. These discussions help inform the patient as to what their options are and what they should prepare for in the final months of life.

Someone, at some point, decided that that meant there would be panels of government bureaucrats established in every hospice and hospital to decide when to pull the plug on grandma.

It's a shame on two levels: First of all, it completely precludes us from a national discussion on the costs of end-of-life healthcare, which are unbelievably high. Second of all, it scares the daylights out of old people and the infirm, who are made to think that the government is going to come kill them.

Is this the democrat side, or the "In general" viewpoint?

Not that I don't believe you, I just want to get an overall viewpoint...

...because that sounds pretty bad from what you say.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 24, 2009, 03:56:20 am »
You don't have to take my word for it. Go learn for yourself.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 24, 2009, 04:01:52 am »
I Did a quick google, and found that, yes, yours was an accurate descriptor...

...IMO its just somethign bad in general, and why its controversial is beyond me.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3725 on: August 24, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »
Yes, J, what better way to make an argument than to call your opposition a sheep, then use the same scare tactics that the person you're criticizing did, i.e.:

Quote from: Lord J Esq.
an industry that literally and directly profits by murdering its own customers. We don't think of it as murder because there are no guns or swords, but it is deliberate, it is knowledgeable, and it is flagrantly defiant.

The only real critical thought you seem to possess is thoughts critical of everyone who disagrees with you.

Ordinary Americans know this; they're not getting the care they need, or the coverage they deserve.

I call bullshit on this notion, and to back this up I'll cite a poll from Gallup, the oldest and most respected scientific polling group in the United States, saying that the majority of Americans are satisfied with their health care plans.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102934/majority-americans-satisfied-their-own-healthcare.aspx

Ordinary Americans seem to be just fine with it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3726 on: August 24, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »
I thought Gallup polls were notorious for being shite...but anyways, that says 57% are satisfied. While that may be the majority (what you for some reason refer to as "ordinary"?), that's still quite a few who are not. While I personally am fine with just under half of the people in the US dying of some horrible disease because their healthcare doesn't cover it or w/e other BS is going down, it's usually not the half that deserves it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
Slightly higher than XBOX failure rate (54%)! I'm curious. Does that mean that 43% of Americans are not ordinary?

Also, try and factor in the next generation of Americans. Which group typically has more children: Wealthy, insured people, or lower-income families that may not be able to afford insurance (or maybe even contraceptives)?
Sort of like Idiocracy. The "higher class" if you have the gall to call it that, tends to procreate less. Give it twenty years. The percentage will not sustain itself. It will be significantly different, and I guarantee it will not be in favor of the lower-income families.

This dilemma is the real slippery slope. We're not going to become a communist nation just because of much needed health care reform. In fact, without any health care reform, we'll be worse off. These people who will be uninsured will still need to work, and those who will be insured will need them to work. People need to be healthy to work. If people can't work, businesses lose money, and society gets flushed down the toilet.

Hyperbolic? A bit. But something to consider, T Ordeal.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3728 on: August 24, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »
I'm not against health care reform; I just think that there are better and more prudent ways to reform health care and drive down costs(tort reform) than what President Obama is currently suggesting.

If its an expansion of Medicare and Medicaid, then I'd be on board with that. Try to get a few more million under the Medicare blanket, but don't radically restructure the entire thing into some single-payer system.

To use your train of thought, which was a good one, if more poor people have children than rich people, then won't that only exacerbate the problem, especially if we attempt UHC?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:51 pm »
Yes, J, what better way to make an argument than to call your opposition a sheep, then use the same scare tactics that the person you're criticizing did, i.e.:

an industry that literally and directly profits by murdering its own customers. We don't think of it as murder because there are no guns or swords, but it is deliberate, it is knowledgeable, and it is flagrantly defiant.

I notice you completely ignored my criticism of the death panel claims you were making earlier, and instead have changed the terms of the argument to better suit you. First of all, that criticism stands: There is not nor was there ever a plan to create "death panels" as a part of healthcare reform--and you know you have no proof to the contrary, just the vague assurances of your right-wing friends.

Second of all, since you mentioned it, the for-profit health insurance industry really does contribute to the suffering and death of its own customers. That's why so many people refer to it as the "murder by spreadsheet" industry, referring to the calculated rejection of claims by customers deemed too expensive or unprofitable according to their sophisticated financial formulae. The key difference between your bogus and outlandish phantom death panel menace and the deplorable reality of profit-driven insurance companies unfettered by government oversight is one of, shall we say, actual substance. I'll be the first to admit that "murder by spreadsheet" is a rhetorical phrase, but it is, crucially, representative of the conditions in our healthcare industry: It accurately captures the basic flaw in our system.

I have a friend who pays a predatorily high insurance premium because she had back surgery a few years ago and is fully aware that she would never be able to sign up for other private insurance, because now she has a "preexisting condition." She got that advice from her mom, who happens to be a healthcare economist. I myself applied for private health insurance once, and when I disclosed the MRI scans I'd had on my leg and lower back, I was told I'd have to pay a premium that was almost half of my entire income--completely unaffordable. Incidentally, when you're uninsured and pay out of pocket, those scans cost upwards of $2000 bucks apiece. My dad, who makes ten times what I do, can't afford to buy health insurance for my mom, because of her skin cancer, back problems, and other health issues. My dad himself is only insured because he's old enough to qualify for Medicare--public insurance that works. Our own president's grandmother was on the phone arguing with the insurance companies in the final weeks of her life.

Everyone has stories like this, and the sad thing is that we've come to believe that this is the only way it can be--that this is the best healthcare system in the world. It is demonstrably not: There are countries out there today where people don't have to be filling out paperwork on the operating table. There are countries out there today where people who get sick or injured don't have to decide whether they can afford to get treated: they just go to the clinic or the hospital. There are countries out there today where nobody has to lose sleep over the expenses of insuring their children or spouse or themselves when they lose their job or change careers.

And then there is the flip side of it: There are all those Americans who lose these battles. The ones whose claims are rejected and no amount of arguing will change it. The ones who have such loathsome experiences trying to get healthcare that they just suck it up and avoid seeing the doctor until the day they end up in the emergency room dying of something that could have been prevented entirely or cheaply treated. There are the people who have cancer, or heart problems, or organ failure, people young and old alike, who are told that their policies don't cover the drugs and surgeries and therapies they need to survive. So they either raise money--mercy fundraisers; I'm going to one this Saturday night for a friend my age who is being tested for reproductive organ cancer--or they die. Murder by spreadsheet.

And the only thing standing in the way between a better world for all Americans is idiots like you who believe everything you're fed by the right-wing media, and raise such a fuss at the prospect of meaningful healthcare reform that you have to resort to dirty tricks like the town hall meeting disruptions (organization and logistics courtesy of the insurance industry) and inane talking points like "death panels" and "socialized medicine." You're a sheep, all right, and will continue to be so until you do some thinking for yourself.

Ordinary Americans know this; they're not getting the care they need, or the coverage they deserve.

I call bullshit on this notion, and to back this up I'll cite a poll from Gallup, the oldest and most respected scientific polling group in the United States, saying that the majority of Americans are satisfied with their health care plans.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102934/majority-americans-satisfied-their-own-healthcare.aspx

Ordinary Americans seem to be just fine with it.

You haven't been following polling on this issue over the past year, or you'd know two things: First of all, depending on what question a poll asks, and how that question is worded, people's responses will vary wildly. Second of all, your blessed right-wing media have succeeded in owning the terms of the debate, causing people like you to believe stuff that has nothing to do with the reality of the legislation underway in Congress. So, when people like you get polled on the issue, you feed your ignorant claptrap back to them. We've seen the effects of that: Go look for yourself at the big-firm polls that have been put out: Public opinion has been consistently in favor of major or fundamental healthcare reform, and remains so even now, but support for a government insurance alternative has dropped considerably (from something like 70 percent to 50 percent) since it was targeted for vilification by your precious Fox News. However, as I said, those support rates vary based on what kind of question is asked, and how it is phrased. Look it up for your friggin' own self before "calling bullshit" as if you know the slightest bit of what you are talking about.

Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier, many Americans just don't realize how bad they have it. I remember when Schwarzenegger had heart surgery: After convalescing, he said something to the effect of "I didn't realize how miserable and tired I had felt until it all went away." People get used to the conditions of their lives. If fifty square miles of paperwork and regular battles royale with insurance providers is the way of life, many people aren't going to recognize just how badly they're being exploited, and, so, in saying that they're happy with their coverage, what they're really saying is that they've been able to get at least some of the healthcare they need. What they don't realize is that they're often not getting all that they need, and that they are going through all kinds of hassles and hoops to get whatever it is they do get.

Also, a great deal of healthcare insurance is employer-based in this country, and the best employer-based private health insurance for ordinary people outside the professional classes comes from the vocational sectors, especially heavy manufacturing--steel, fiber, airplanes, etc. That health insurance may be good today, but it is under assault from three fronts: First, it takes strong labor unions to win generous healthcare packages, and labor unions are losing power as production is shifting into the conservative South where unions are seen as villains. Second, the "Profits now!" financial mentality in Corporate America has led to millions of quality vocational jobs being outsourced. Do you know why? It's healthcare costs. That excellent health insurance costs those companies something like ten to thirty percent of their total costs. So they ship the jobs overseas to places where "health insurance" amounts to gauze and methyl alcohol. Third, these manufacturing companies are under stress at home not simply because of the rising healthcare costs due to our present unsustainable system, but also because American spending patterns are gravitating away from domestic goods; we're buying more foreign goods instead, and that drives down the revenues of America's industrial producers and distributors.

Lastly, regardless of what any poll says there are still tens of millions of uninsured people in this country and over a hundred million under-insured, as demonstrated by the financial drain on public healthcare resources by people whose private insurers aren't cutting it. They deserve uncomplicated access to healthcare. If you actually believe any of that feel-good Christian dogma you claim to, then you can't disagree. And if you truly are even one-hundredth as much of a patriot as you would have us believe, then you can't be seen taking a piss all over your fellow Americans on the grounds of "I got mine."

I'm not against health care reform; I just think that there are better and more prudent ways to reform health care and drive down costs(tort reform) than what President Obama is currently suggesting.

If its an expansion of Medicare and Medicaid, then I'd be on board with that. Try to get a few more million under the Medicare blanket, but don't radically restructure the entire thing into some single-payer system.

You are uninformed. A single-payer national healthcare system isn't even remotely likely to come out of this legislation. I would know, since I've been lobbying for one. But the real irony here is that your proposed solution, the one that you'd be "on board" with, is almost exactly identical to the concept of the so-called public-option.

The public option is a centrist solution. It was a compromise offered by the left in hopes of winning support from the right. The right answered, "Fuck you; we're doing this our way." And they've come very close to winning. But the public option doesn't erase the private health insurance industry. It doesn't even place all that many new controls on private insurers. All it really does is provide a voluntary government-run insurance alternative to those who don't want or can't get private health insurance. That's exactly what you just proposed.

I have to ask: Just what are your news sources? How can you present yourself as engaged with the healthcare debate but not know this stuff?

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 24, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »
Gurg...ahh............urk.........

I've managed to catch something. The flu, perhaps. And it makes me feel like this inside.

*screams very loudly if he could, but the soreness of his throat, the pains in his bones, and the pounding headache prevent it.*

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3731 on: August 24, 2009, 06:29:31 pm »
And the only thing standing in the way between a better world for all Americans is idiots like you who believe everything you're fed by the right-wing media,

I disagree. The only thing standing in the way between a better world for all Americans is idiots like you who believe everything you're fed by the left-wing media. And don't even try to deny it, J. I've been on HuffPo and the DailyKos several times in the past, just to see what the other side thought, and the same BS that came from their comment boxes comes out of your mouth every time you debate. The only noticable difference is that you hold some maturity and are careful not to use several of their key words.

And its not as if insurance companies are killing people. The way you say it, the CEO of Statefarm is twiddling his thumbs behind a big oaken desk, his only job deciding whether or not my great aunt Doris gets to live or not. You portray these insurance companies as the cartoonish villain, and sink yourself down to Sarah Palin's level. The only difference between your claim of "spreadsheet murder" and her claim of "death panels" is who is saying it. They're both unfair and devious characterizations which aren't true. Although, we still don't know what was kicked out of the Senate bill, exactly.

Access to health care would only become more complicated if the government took a bigger role in it. Just look at the treatment of Medicare patients over ones who have private insurance. You've made this argument several times to me.

Still, some expansions of Medicaid for indigent people is better than nothing, and some enhancements to undercovered people would do a great deal of good for the world.  

My problem with the public option as promoted by President Obama is that one of two things will happen: 1) Not that many people will go for it, and we'd have invested that much money for nothing or very little results. 2) Too many people will go for it, and with prices that much lower than private insurance companies, the government won't be able to sustain it without raising taxes. If a few more bucks of my money go towards a noble goal like that, then I have no problem. But, 436 people should not be allowed to make that decision unless they have the majority consent of the 300 million people that the represent, which, for whatever reason, selfishness, apathy, or just plain old self-subsistence, they do not.

Now, I like an expansion of Medicaid, and possibly a public option. One or the other, but not both. We simply don't have that kind of money. If the bill gets rid of Medicaid and institutes an affordable public option, we'll still lose a little more money, but it won't be killing us. Who knows, we might even surplus? If the bill supports an expansion of Medicaid, then good. It's a little more money, but it's sustainable.

But it's all a moot point unless you manage to control costs. The insurance and drug companies aren't raising their prices just to kick more people off of their rolls. They have to make a profit. And putting a price ceiling on insurance isn't viable either, because that will kill private health insurance or make it even more unavailable to everyone, something none of us want, I hope.

Since no one's called me out on it, I think we agree that tort reform is a good way to drive down costs.

As for my news, I watch CNN for most of the headline stuff, and Fox for Bill O'Reilly(ZOMG1 I just admitted to watching a right-wing commentator's show. Surely the flames of Hell will rain down upon me now!)

EDIT: Oh, and AOL and Yahoo. AOL, ironically enough, often features articles from Andrew Sullivan.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:43:44 pm by Truthordeal »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
I think we can all agree that what stands between us and a better world is idiots. Like your own shadow, they're everywhere you go. Our duty is not to attempt to identify who else is an idiot but to make damn sure we aren't counted among them.

ToD, regarding Insurance Companies, I ask you, if that business model was applied to cars, would you be as defensive of it?

Consider, if you will, going to a car dealership and paying $20,000. You walk away without a car. Your Aunt Jemima comes along and also pays $20,000. They give her a car worth $30,000. A little odd, but it’s a lemon and so she comes back in a year. This time they want $50,000 for a car worth $10,000. In the mean time, you've been back and paid another $20,000 and walked away again without a car.

Insurance companies survive by not providing the services that they are paid to provide. That is one fucked up system.

Scrapping the current system and replacing it with a more traditional business structure would be an improvement. It would still screw over sick people, though, as they need more services and thus must pay for more services. In which case a grocery store model is called for. Certain foods are considered to be essential for the welfare of the populace and so the government intervenes so that it is cheap and affordable to any and all individuals who need it. Milk is what I am talking about.

Now medical care is just as essential for the welfare of the populace as milk, if not more so, yes? If the government can influence the price of milk, why not influence the price of medical care?

Because it would produce waste? Because it would drive current insurance companies out of business? Who cares?! Current insurance companies are a travesty as it is, and it is better to have millions of waste rather than people lacking basic necessities.

Death panels are a red herring. Let us assume for a moment that they would exist. It doesn't matter, because right now death panels do exist, and we're all part of it. Every time society says that we won’t provide health care to someone in need, whatever our reasons are, we are saying that they deserve to die. If under Obama's plan death panels do exist, at least we'll be decent enough to admit that we have it, rather than the current state in which everyone can calm their mind by pretending like they aren't personally responsible for every individual who dies for want of health care.

We should ensure that universal health care is as efficient, humane, and responsible as we possibly can, but in our drive to ensure those things, let us not forget to make health care universal. If there was a better option for us to take, then yes, let us take it, but our current position is intolerable. We cannot just stay here.

Side note: I highly recommend you start reading the BBC News' website. It is terribly interesting to get a non-American perspective on world events.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:18:53 pm by Thought »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:10 pm »
I disagree. The only thing standing in the way between a better world for all Americans is idiots like you who believe everything you're fed by the left-wing media. And don't even try to deny it, J. I've been on HuffPo and the DailyKos several times in the past, just to see what the other side thought, and the same BS that came from their comment boxes comes out of your mouth every time you debate. The only noticable difference is that you hold some maturity and are careful not to use several of their key words.

It's true that I read Daily Kos often and Huffington Post every once in a while. Daily Kos is left-biased, unabashedly (Huffington Post is more like a circus), but I don't read it for the left-wing bias. I have my own, personal left-wing bias that serves me just fine. I read them for the information that I can't get out of the traditional media. Occasionally their analysis is helpful in formulating my own. However, unlike yourself I know how to think critically and I actually do it, and so my judgments are my own and they are usually sound (unless I have bad information). Also, in case you missed it, all those anecdotal examples of healthcare nightmares I gave were out of my personal life and acquaintanceships.

Comparing my references to left-wing sources to your own references to right-wing ones is fallacy on two levels: It implies that my doing so somehow makes it okay for you to do so (the “tu quoque” fallacy), and it implies an false equivalence between my methods and yours. I would pit the robustness of my judgment against yours any day; our opposing political differences are, in this context, irrelevant. I have to deal with plenty of left-wing idiots too. The difference between them and yourself is that at least they're usually on the just side of the issues, which makes their idiocy, if no more forgivable, at least somewhat more ignorable.

And its not as if insurance companies are killing people. The way you say it, the CEO of Statefarm is twiddling his thumbs behind a big oaken desk, his only job deciding whether or not my great aunt Doris gets to live or not. ... The only difference between your claim of "spreadsheet murder" and her claim of "death panels" is who is saying it.

That isn't a valid rebuttal. Your saying something doesn't make it so. You have to provide a reasoning for your claims. For my part, while I haven't posted a big bibliography of statistics, I've pointed to the easily verifiable fact that there never have been government “death panels” nor would there be under this legislation, and to the relatively-easily verifiable fact that insurance companies routinely deny coverage and claims (or only partially approve it), in order to maximize their profits. In making my case I have pointed only to the suffering of the sick, which was perhaps an error on my part, but I'll tell you now that, on the other side of the coin, you can also examine the rising profitability of the health insurance industry over the past twenty years even as health insurance and drug costs have begun to bankrupt our national budget, our state budgets, and corporate budgets. It's all written down in ink.

See...you're smart enough to perform variations and combinations on the talking points you already know, but you aren't actually thinking about this stuff. Let's consider your next thoughts:

Access to health care would only become more complicated if the government took a bigger role in it. Just look at the treatment of Medicare patients over ones who have private insurance. You've made this argument several times to me.

I've never made such an argument. In fact I've made the opposite argument: Access to healthcare would become immensely simpler under a national healthcare system. Why? Because the government bureaucracy administering public healthcare would be interested in moving patients through the system efficiently. Contrast that to the corporate bureaucracy, whose interest is in maximizing profits by manipulating insurance money disbursements. There wouldn't be any claims paperwork. You wouldn't have to spend time and energy arguing with insurance companies. You wouldn't get stuck with unanticipated out-of-pocket expenses when your claims are rejected. You wouldn't have to worry about not being able to afford to go to the doctor when you get  sick.

We see this all the time in the comparison between civic systems and businesses: When a city is faced with a budget shortfall; they try to cut services in a way that will be least injurious to people. When a business is faced with a budget shortfall, they cut costs by tweaking their business model into something more profitable. You need to stop comparing government and business; they're not the same thing and they shouldn't be held to the same standards. If you could understand that, you would see why something like healthcare should never be privately-run (or, if it is privately run, should be subject to extensive regulation). Healthcare is all about helping people in one of the most basic senses. It's not about turning a profit, or at least it shouldn't be, because that kind of prioritization degrades healthcare service. You know, electric companies would be a lot more profitable if they didn't have to string wires out to the rural parts of the country. And if it had been up to private enterprise, those wires wouldn't have been strung in the first place, and certainly not well-maintained. And that would suck for all those people who live out there. But, hey! It'd be more profitable for the electric company, right?

Still, some expansions of Medicaid for indigent people is better than nothing, and some enhancements to undercovered people would do a great deal of good for the world.

I agree with you here (obviously), but I wanted to point out that here, for some reason that I can't figure out, you start referring to Medicaid, which is not the same as Medicare. I wonder if you knew that, and if you know what the basic difference is. Medicaid has been a very helpful program, but enormously expensive to state governments, because state governments just can't do what a national system like Medicare can do—they don't have the scale for it. Medicaid is a flawed premise; it's like forcing every state to build its own aerospace industry when it would be so much obviously better for there to be only a single national aerospace industry—which is the way it actually is. Like airplanes, healthcare is a hugely expensive sector that relies on economies of scale to become more effective. This same line of thinking is why I support globalization in principle, even though I fervently oppose the way it's actually unfolding.

My problem with the public option as promoted by President Obama is that one of two things will happen: 1) Not that many people will go for it, and we'd have invested that much money for nothing or very little results. 2) Too many people will go for it, and with prices that much lower than private insurance companies, the government won't be able to sustain it without raising taxes. If a few more bucks of my money go towards a noble goal like that, then I have no problem.

Your Concern No. 1 is why people are so strongly in favor of a so-called robust public option. When the centrists proposed not-for-profit co-operatives as an alternative to public insurance, liberals were quick to point out that we have already had the same basic thing in the past, and they were all taken over or pushed out by the for-profit segment from the 1980s onward. That's what happened to Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's not a point of contention that for-profit healthcare insurers will win the day in the free market, because what they do is sell junk insurance, and people keep buying it because they don't realize that it's junk until they need to use it. Well, nowadays they buy it because there are very few non-profit alternatives left. That's what created the chain of events which led to the healthcare crisis that has been building for the past fifteen years or so. Co-ops and other half-assed measures don't stand a chance against the for-profits. Only a well-empowered national public insurance alternative would be able to do it.

That brings me to your Concern No. 2: The public option might become very popular. That's less of a concern than you might think, but you are on to something. It's already a given that public insurance would pick up the poorest people, those who are least able to pay, and the sickest among us. In other words, the public option would, in the short-term, actually serve to enrich the profits of its private competitors—at the expense of taxpayers.

What would happen in the long run is one of two scenarios: If the public option is weak, then it will never be able to overcome these starting disadvantages, and it will become ineffective. On the other hand, if the public option is strong—meaning well-funded, empowered to negotiate with providers, and truly competitive legally—then the superior healthcare access it affords would cause it to become the provider of choice, and we'd end up with a de factor national single-payer system—a much more efficient, effective, accessible, and affordable system than the one we have to day. The insurance industry has been lobbying the government against the public option to the tune of millions of dollars a day for exactly that reason, because under that scenario they would lose out.

But ask yourself: If people want public health insurance, who gives a damn what the private insurers want? Let 'em rot. If the government can do it better, for more people, for less money, why shouldn't it?

But, 436 people should not be allowed to make that decision unless they have the majority consent of the 300 million people that the represent, which, for whatever reason, they do not.

You are wrong here, my friend, in three ways: First, there are 535 voting seats in Congress, not 436. Second, we elected them to be able to make decisions like that. If we don't like their decisions, we can un-elect them. Third, the vast majority of Americans support healthcare reform. There isn't a single credible poll that has said otherwise. In fact I don't know of any poll at all, credible or not, that has said otherwise. People know that things are screwed up.

The insurance and drug companies aren't raising their prices just to kick more people off of their rolls. They have to make a profit. And putting a price ceiling on insurance isn't viable either, because that will kill private health insurance or make it even more unavailable to everyone, something none of us want, I hope.

Those are arguments against for-profit health insurance. I should be making them, not you.

Since no one's called me out on it, I think we agree that tort reform is a good way to drive down costs.

Yes, I completely agree with you. However, I am loathe to spend time on it, because it's become a right-wing talking point that tort reform is the only healthcare reform we need, which is obscenely wrong. I consider it a distraction.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:55 pm »
Truthordeal, trying to clarify your question earlier about how doctors might be profiting off of health care.

Well, the next time I see a doctor pull into a hospital parking lot with a $50,000 Lexus, I'd like to know where he (or she) got the paycheck that paid off that car.  I mean, the way some doctors are paid, they probably don't even use monthly plans to pay off their nice cars.

There's also the reality of how there are [perhaps] no incentives for doctors to return your calls or your e-mails.  The U.S. government has a list of 7500  procedures (give or take) it will pay for.  Phones, e-mails, even storing your records are computers, aren't amongst those procedures.  I find it ironic that despite this, some people want more government control in their health care needs.

Who would you rather trust to cover the cost of your health insurance: yourself, or some pencil-pushing bureaucrat whom you'll probably never meet in real life?  I say cut out the middle man and take some initiative.  It's your health to manage, not theirs.

As for the whole "death panel" concept, there's no concrete evidence of its existence, so all speculation towards it should be counted for naught... or at least given some reliable, third-party evidence of their existence.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:40:05 pm by GenesisOne »