Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484431 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3450 on: July 30, 2009, 12:03:30 am »
Whatever dude. I suppose I could look up to Hitler, and you'd be less offended, but that's...yeah, I'm done.

Still can't find a decent avatar of Angelo from Dragon Quest 8 though. This one works for the moment, anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind, I like this one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:30:54 am by Truthordeal »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: July 30, 2009, 01:16:50 am »
Race issues are very real.  IMO the key is being able not only to appreciate but poke fun as well.  As a white guy and a comic, there might be nothing funnier than watching a comic of another race blast white folk.  That shit cracks me up so hard.  The exaggeration of it is the key.  ALL stereotypes came from one truth, and that truth gets exploited to hell.  Part of it comes from that inability of ours to deal with criticism or negativity.  Part of it comes from our inability to accept change or maybe just an inability to accept.  I recommend The Wire for both vast entertainment but also several facets of race issues...both in the streets and in the office.  Shameless plug, sorry. 8)

In a lighter  um....light... is the musical Avenue Q.  Here's a nice song, entitled "Everyon'e A Little Bit Racist."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbwNSNLPIfw

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: July 30, 2009, 07:38:12 am »
pfft... Damn thunderstorm wakin me up.

I actually have to get up early today, and this is the one day that I'm woken in the middle of my sleep by a thunderstorm >.<

ah well

I'll live.

Goodnight everyone, again

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3453 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:38 am »
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL!...or something...AVENGERS ASSEMBLE~!!

My only current frustration would have to be forgetting my keys at home and having to leave my bike in front of the library (note: IN TACOMA)...I probably should have went back for it...BUT IT'S SO DAMN HOT! I'm going to go back to the library tomorrow (and probably every day this week), so hopefully the criminals of this damn city were too heat-exhausted to cut my sad little lock and my bike will be waiting for me (riding a bike is a nice way around the heat...walking 12+ blocks is not)...

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: July 30, 2009, 10:16:46 am »
My bank increasing my credit limit by 1,000 without my consent.  They have done this to my wife 3 times as well.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3455 on: July 30, 2009, 02:34:24 pm »
I think we are talking slightly past each other. I am frustrated that Gates was arrested at all. He may have been rude, and his accusations of racism may have been utterly off base. The fact that he was arrested for essentially being rude to a police officer is the real problem, not the superfluous (and likely unfounded) accusations of racial bias.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3456 on: July 30, 2009, 02:49:20 pm »
The media would disagree with you there, RD, as that's what they concentrated on during just about the entire ordeal. The coverage over the legality of the arrest seems to be a passing thought to them, compared to the juicy story they originally had over racial profiling.

Not to mention that the charges were dropped against Gates.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »
I had to get a shot in my butt yesterday.  Daaaamn, felt like a kid again.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3458 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »
The media would disagree with me stating my frustration? The coverage of the story I've seen has been at or linked from a blog; I have no knowledge of how the general media is handling the story. The fact that the charges were dropped does not justify the arrest having taken place. In fact, it is an acknowledgment by the police of the injustice of the arrest in the first place. The police arresting a private citizen for essentially being a dick is to me the largest concern with this story.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: July 30, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »

Hopefully you mean that you were injected with some medicine, rather than a bullet. Otherwise, I would seriously worry about the childhood you had.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: July 30, 2009, 03:42:42 pm »

Hopefully you mean that you were injected with some medicine, rather than a bullet. Otherwise, I would seriously worry about the childhood you had.

This reminds me of when I helped my brother film a project for his college film class, in which there was a scene where he was shot in the butt. We used a real gun, unloaded though, and a few packages of fake blood. I wish I could find that file, it was pretty good for something student made.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: July 30, 2009, 06:34:18 pm »
I've been thinking about it for a while and believe (at least for now) that this is a frustration rather than a love:

"More to Love," a new reality TV show. I make it a general policy not to watch reality shows (though I will admit, I am a fan of Beauty and the Geek and I have been known to stop to watch Hell's Kitchen if I see someone watching it first), particularly dating reality shows, but I was weak and checked this one out when the premier aired.

Perhaps it was good, as far as dating reality shows go. But it was painful on many levels. For one, the idea that there needs to be a reality show specifically for larger individuals is slightly offensive. For another, some of the women on the show seem to reinforce negative stereotypes (the "I need a man to be complete" stereotype, specifically). The situation in general does not seem to be conducive to the development of healthy relationships (which gives me a bad impression of the guy). And the "Rocket Scientist" was one of the first to go.

Though from talking to some people, it appears that the emotions and prior life experiences displayed on the show are so far fairly close to the norm, which is depressing on its own.

That being said, I do hope that the show will be better than I fear and that it might serve a social good.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3462 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:58 pm »
I don't see a problem with people or a show reinforcing negative stereotypes (as long as they aren't doing it in a demeaning fashion i guess)...I mean, these things are around because they exist. Its our job as enlightened individuals to understand that stereotypes should not be the final judgment on an entire sect of any kind. Isn't saying that someone is acting stereotypical a reinforcement of that stereotype itself?

Wait a minute, my auto-corrector is saying 'judgment', not 'judgement'? Really? How long have I been misspelling that?? V_V

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »
On a related note, people aren't fat enough. That definitely frustrates me.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3464 on: July 30, 2009, 06:53:42 pm »
On a related note, people aren't fat enough. That definitely frustrates me.

Were you joking, or are you serious? And if you are serious, then please elaborate.