Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484431 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3105 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:24 pm »
I can pretty much assure you that no one in that group takes it that seriously.  You have no idea of the things that are spoken and talked about in regular conversation.  It makes our IRC seem like business talk.

The will to fight to convince people of the truth as you see it, for the bettering of others, is always a noble cause, when done in a noble manner atleast.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3106 on: June 23, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
Dang, clotting issues suck. Hats off to you for being able to put up with that!
For times when you can't use the birth control, go on a little sewing project. Get some fleece and sew a pillow out of it. Before you close it, fill it with flax seeds. You can microwave this bean bag until it's hot and press it against your stomach/neck/whatever hurts. The warmth helps alleviate pain, and the smell that the seeds gives off takes care of headaches and the like.

Also:
As for Zeality... why can't there be more men like you in this world?
He just needs to grow his hair out, then he'll be set.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:29 pm »
Get some fleece and sew a pillow out of it. Before you close it, fill it with flax seeds. You can microwave this bean bag until it's hot and press it against your stomach/neck/whatever hurts. The warmth helps alleviate pain, and the smell that the seeds gives off takes care of headaches and the like.

Someone who uses simple yet potentially working and archaic-like remedies. I like that. *chuckles*

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3108 on: June 23, 2009, 10:50:27 pm »
Actually, my grandma and my dad's old girlfriend made those for us. Current frustration being that I can't find any of the pillows we made, and I don't know where to get flax seeds to make my own (and I'm afraid of needles). I'll have to browse Pike's Place or the farmer's market for it sometime.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 23, 2009, 10:50:52 pm »
Get some fleece and sew a pillow out of it. Before you close it, fill it with flax seeds. You can microwave this bean bag until it's hot and press it against your stomach/neck/whatever hurts. The warmth helps alleviate pain, and the smell that the seeds gives off takes care of headaches and the like.

Someone who uses simple yet potentially working and archaic-like remedies. I like that. *chuckles*

Its always nice to use the simple stuff.  You actually know what it is that you're using to cure yourself.
Medicine really doesn't let you know, or not that much...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 23, 2009, 10:58:22 pm »
The main thing that bothers me about my period is that I can't take pain relievers. :( I have an auto-immune condition that effects my liver, so basically any drug that is metabolized through the liver I am not allowed to take. Drugs like Tylenol and Advil are hard on a damaged liver, so I basically have to grin and bear it. I was put on birth control to help with the cramps, and it helps tremendously but I can only be on it when my blood tests come back within a normal range for various clotting factors, like platelets, prothrombin time, etc. Auto-immune conditions often cause clotting issues, and birth control increases clotting as well. I've had to go off of birth control a few times because of it. :( Stinks!

I have a friend with a similar condition (although not so extreme on the blood side of things), and she also takes medication that affects her liver in combination with birth control for cramps. I'm just curious; is there a chance of, or are you hoping to eventually phase off the medication? My friend's committed to it as a serious personal goal, but it sounds like an incredibly difficult challenge.

As for Zeality... why can't there be more men like you in this world?

If some of the reactions I usually get here are any indication, a lot of people are afraid of "overdoing it" :/ but I think what matters is a serious commitment to doing something positive, or having dreams, whether personal or grand. It's sort of a cliché that most people start out as children with idealistic dreams and hopes to change the world, and then lose it as they become gradually embittered and disillusioned. For me, it was the opposite; I didn't give a damn about what happened to the world as long as I fulfilled my selfish goals. But over the last few years, I matured a lot, lost my religion and irrational beliefs, came to adore humanism and believe in humanity's capacity to better itself and its environment, opened my mind incredibly to new experience, and realized that improving the human condition, working against things like sexism and ignorance, and actually believing in myself and working for ideals instead of wistfully wishing for them were dear to me and wonderful courses in life. That, combined with a desire to live a life of no regrets and a lot of mental training, has produced a real commitment and dream. I honestly wouldn't get much out of life if I just took some kind of career path, enjoyed what pleasures came my way, and simply had a family for its own sake. I want to make some kind of difference, and achieve some kind of burning dream. I guess I couldn't make some kind of flashy declaration like the one about combating sexism if I weren't seriously going to back it up with lifelong action.

So, uh, GET FIRED UP YOU BASTARDS  :kamina

Also, no need to censor the menstrual discussion unless it's just a smoke-screen for immature members or something, or just some kind of personal layer of privacy. I don't think anyone's going to behave immaturely at this point.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:01:51 pm by ZeaLitY »

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: June 23, 2009, 11:01:02 pm »
But over the last few years, I matured a lot, lost my religion, came to adore humanism and believe in humanity's capacity to better itself and its environment, and realized that improving the human condition, working against things like sexism and ignorance, and actually believing in myself and working for ideals instead of wistfully wishing for them were dear to me and wonderful courses in life.

You had a religion?  What happened there?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 23, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »
But over the last few years, I matured a lot, lost my religion, came to adore humanism and believe in humanity's capacity to better itself and its environment, and realized that improving the human condition, working against things like sexism and ignorance, and actually believing in myself and working for ideals instead of wistfully wishing for them were dear to me and wonderful courses in life.

You had a religion?  What happened there?

I realized it was anti-human, counter-productive superstition.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 23, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »
I was raised Catholic, but I strayed from religion myself and became more spiritually inclined due to religions being to biased and corrupted.

But I don't blame you for leaving one.

EDIT: And just in case anyone is offended by my post, I do not have anything against following a religion, but I do have something against the biased effects and distorted views in them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:08:15 pm by Temporal Knight »

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 23, 2009, 11:09:47 pm »
Man, what were you, Catholic?  Amish?
But seriously, if you dont want to explain it further, thats coo'.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:22 pm »

My point is made. *laughs*

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3116 on: June 23, 2009, 11:12:16 pm »

I believe he's talking about all religion...he's also explained it on multiple occasions...Check out the Zen thread or w/e it was for the most recent posts about it, I think...

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 23, 2009, 11:18:02 pm »
Quote from: Zeality
I have a friend with a similar condition (although not so extreme on the blood side of things), and she also takes medication that affects her liver in combination with birth control for cramps. I'm just curious; is there a chance of, or are you hoping to eventually phase off the medication? My friend's committed to it as a serious personal goal, but it sounds like an incredibly difficult challenge.
Oh, my condition wasn't caused by a medication. :) I have a disease that is a form of lupus, which attacks my liver; basically, my immune system is confused and is attacking my healthy liver cells as if they were unhealthy or intruders. The process damages my liver and causes hepatitis, as well as a variety of blood and joint issues. The disease comes in flares, meaning there are periods when the illness is active, and then periods where the illness goes into remission and I am well. They still don't know what causes the immune system to turn against the patient's own body, so sadly, I have no idea what caused it. :( Lupus is strange in that it affects 9 times more women than men; they think it might be hormone related. I started getting symptoms around December of '07 and was finally diagnosed in October '08. It's common to develop the disease around your late teens and early twenties, which is when I was diagnosed. There is still no way to treat it; the main treatments now are corticosteroids and immuno-suppresants, both which have some very bad long-term side effects. When I'm in an active phase, I get a large injection of prednisone as needed until my ASTs and ALTs (liver enzymes) in my blood go down. (My rheumatologist takes a very conservative approach to treatment, which I appreciate thoroughly!)

So basically, the reason I can't take medications that are metabolized through my liver is because of my autoimmune condition. :( I can take medications that are filtered by the kidneys, but medications like Tylenol tend to be quite hard on the liver. Because of my liver condition, my doctors don't let me take any harsh, liver-metabolized medications unless I absolutely have to because of the risk for extra damage. Whew, that was a long-winded explanation! Sorry for the ramble!

If some of the reactions I usually get here are any indication, a lot of people are afraid of "overdoing it" :/ but I think what matters is a serious commitment to doing something positive, or having dreams, whether personal or grand. It's sort of a cliché that most people start out as children with idealistic dreams and hopes to change the world, and then lose it as they become gradually embittered and disillusioned. For me, it was the opposite; I didn't give a damn about what happened to the world as long as I fulfilled my selfish goals. But over the last few years, I matured a lot, lost my religion and irrational beliefs, came to adore humanism and believe in humanity's capacity to better itself and its environment, opened my mind incredibly to new experience, and realized that improving the human condition, working against things like sexism and ignorance, and actually believing in myself and working for ideals instead of wistfully wishing for them were dear to me and wonderful courses in life. That, combined with a desire to live a life of no regrets and a lot of mental training have produced a real commitment and dream. I honestly wouldn't get much out of life if I just took some kind of career path, enjoyed what pleasures came my way, and simply had a family for its own sake. I want to make some kind of difference, and achieve some kind of burning dream. I guess I couldn't make some kind of flashy declaration like the one about combating sexism if I weren't seriously going to back it up with lifelong action.
All I can say is that I'm thoroughly impressed. :) It's something that I need to do as well; I have a lot of convictions, but I've been bad about getting out there and utilizing action for change. Wistful wishing will get me nowhere, that's for sure! I'm inspired now.

Quote from: Zephira
Dang, clotting issues suck. Hats off to you for being able to put up with that!
For times when you can't use the birth control, go on a little sewing project. Get some fleece and sew a pillow out of it. Before you close it, fill it with flax seeds. You can microwave this bean bag until it's hot and press it against your stomach/neck/whatever hurts. The warmth helps alleviate pain, and the smell that the seeds gives off takes care of headaches and the like.
Thanks, Zephira! :) That sounds like a great idea; I love to sew, I'll definitely try it. I know my school nurse back in high school used to have these amazing home-made pillows filled with rice; she heated them up in the microwave and they felt amazing!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:21:28 pm by Zelbess »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »

LDS. And now will probably follow a bunch of "lol they rnt real religion newayz, if u had a real church u would still believe in god instead of that cult shit." Make-believe is make-believe, no matter what you call it; Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, the...Ba'hai faith or whatever it is that tries to incorporate everything, it's all grounded in complete fabrication and fairytale with punitive moral codes and contradictory texts thrown in for good measure. Add thousands of years of practice and dogma, and you've got the appearance of legitimacy.

And I'm sure we all know what the best approach is to dealing with tradition handed down through dogmatic arguments from authority:

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 23, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
Oh, Ok, I understand your position!