Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484823 times)

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4230 on: October 09, 2009, 04:46:00 pm »
I've felt like that before. When you get annoyed at things pretty quickly anyway, imagine what happens if you deprive yourself of sleep...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 09, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »
$%*!  :x

Today was my presenation and, naturally, I forgot the copies to hand out to my class, so my presentation partner is forced to make copies herself.

And naturally, I botched a bit of the presentation with awkward pauses, and I overstated the conclusion of the presentation, which left nobody with any questions about it at all.

I even caught a couple of students in the back chatting on their cell phones and texting, which is ironic because the presentation I gave focused on the application of the Golden Rule.

*Slams his head on the desk* What a day.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: October 09, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
The trick is to use your secret police to remind your classmates just how much they want to listen to your presentation. And, when it's over, these fellow students will applaud vigorously to show their respect for your conclusions. Just remember that the first person to stop applauding is a traitor and should be arrested.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4233 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:33 pm »
Frustration:
There giving to him because he was better then Bush? He is, but that's a bull crap reason.
The misuse of "there", "their", and "they're". Sorry to pick on you Kebber, but I've been seeing this everywhere recently, especially in essays I've had to correct during tutoring.
"There" is a location, as in "over there", "in there", "put the pie there".
"They're" is the contraction of "they are", as in "They're giving to him", "they're not right in the head", "they're going to the mall".
"Their" is the possessive form of "they", as in "they will eat their cake", "their fanart isn't as awesome as our fanart", "I want to play in their pool".
Put them all together, and you get "They're going to play with their dog over there."

It's not that hard, people. I shouldn't be seeing these mistakes in anyone over the age of thirteen, yet unfortunately I've had forty and fifty year old students coming in with this exact problem.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: October 09, 2009, 05:32:56 pm »
Danke schön Zephira!

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: October 09, 2009, 05:35:06 pm »
I hate that too, and I'm sixteen. My grammar and stuff has always been top notch though...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: October 09, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »
The "there / their / they're" thing annoys me, but for some reason the "you're / your" thing annoys me even more.  "Your stupid."  My stupid what?  My stupid hamster?  My stupid pants?  My stupid Ferrari?

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: October 09, 2009, 05:43:04 pm »
Yeah, that's really annoying too... I've never really thought about them as annoyances until now...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4238 on: October 09, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »
Augh, Saijanta, you've found my Achilles heel! I think that might just belong in the Hate thread. If you're going to try to insult someone by saying "your stupid", you're the fucking stupid one. (And if anyone here actually does that, I'm sorry. We're all old enough that we should know the difference by now.)
There's also "its" and "it's". It is, versus the possessive of it.
I've also seen "taught" and "taut" mixed up, when the person didn't even know what "taut" meant. If you're unsure about a word, look it up. You have internet, so tons of dictionaries are available. If you're unsure about when to use contractions, then don't use them at all. "It is", "you are", "do not", "we are" and all the rest take hardly a second more to type.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: October 09, 2009, 05:51:56 pm »
This is just for you Zephira::

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:43 pm »
I'm not going to add to this line of discussion, simply because I would end up going on one of my Famous RantsTM. There is a relatively small group of simple, glaringly obvious grammatical mistakes which people--oodles and oodles and reams of people--commit again and again and again. I don't usually channel V_Translanka, but it makes me so friggin' stabby...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4241 on: October 09, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »
Sajainta you are awesome, I giggled so hard at those. Truly, these are lessons that everyone should learn. I'm thinking of making a "This is how you write English" thread, but it would probably devolve into "people are retards and need to pay more attention in school" after the first couple sentences.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: October 10, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »
GOD DAMNIT!!! You don't kill Hawkeye! It's just something you don't do, Nina? Sure. Huges? sad, but had to happen. But not Hawkeye. She was the shit and now...GOD DAMNIT!! You better fix this Arakawa!!!!

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: October 10, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »
Hmmm, the chapter was spoiled for me by your post.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »
Aye...I don't read whatever it is you're talking about, but you shouldn't spoil stuff like that.