Author Topic: Vista and Torrenting  (Read 1343 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Vista and Torrenting
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 05:14:55 pm »
I was stuck at 10 kB/s download until I created a static IP and set net.bind_IP to it in uTorrent, and set net.outgoing_IP to the default gateway.

Still stuck at 30.
Whoops, must of skipped over that in your post... sorry. At this point only a few potential problems remain.

What exactly is your half-open connection set to? If it's above 20, you've got a problem there─try moving it closer to 10 if you can.

What's your upload rate set to? Try taking it down to ~16-30kB/s and tell me if that worked.

Do you know if ISP has software that bottlenecks or drops bittorrent protocol connections? If so, have you enabled encryption on your connections?

If it is none of these, your network settings in Vista are most likely screwed and, since I am not a Network IT, I can't help you there.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:55:42 pm by BROJ »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
Insert Quote
Two words.. Use XP. Seriously, Vista actually stands for something,

Viruses,
Intruders,
Spyware,
Trojans and,
Adware.

It's not offical, but you get the point. Nothing old works on it, which isn't good. It crashes all the time and, for some reason, my 20MB Connection Speed is drastically reduced. Go and get XP, hell, even ME is better than Vista.

Yes, Mac OS X is good, but I cannot find games for it!

Sorry.....but this is so incredibly false (the acronym part).  There's compatibility issues but that's mainly due to 32 bit -> 64 bit......and that's due to the programmer not compiling it for that version.  People are going to ahve to start switching to 64 bit eventually so you might as well take the plunge now..  I tested running my shop editor and TF on my 64 bit installation and had no issues (didn't even need to use compatibility mode.  Most of the time if something doesn't work i can run it in compatibility mode (i ran the original doom like this).

There's alot of reasons to harp on vista but not the points listed above points.  Speed is annoying I had to turn alof of stuff off that the average user wouldn't know how to so that's pretty bad and I still prefer XP personally.
As for the OP I've stopped using torrents :(  I feel bad downloading them now especially with hulu out so no recommendations from me.  (note that i'm not morally against torrents especially if you are in school)

--JP

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 06:16:02 pm »
I can edit the half-open connections in uTorrent, but nothing gets around the limit of tcpip.sys, and there's no patch for SP1 yet.

Upload is fine, and the ISP hasn't cracked down or anything. I could try encrypting the packets, though...

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »
Have you tried

a)  Disable IP v6?
b)  steps here:  http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/1093/Speed-up-bit-torrent-downloads-in-Vista

I guess slowly turn Vista networking into XP networking one step at a time :)

--JP

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 06:49:40 pm »
Your answer more than likely lies within this thread.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:52:04 pm by BROJ »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 06:53:28 pm »
Yeah, I disabled IPv6 and QoS packets.

Just tried disabling the optimizer; I'll reboot now...well, in five minutes.

Jeez though, I never really used a display like this until now, and with 1200x800, Chrono Trigger is beautiful. N64 emulation is beautiful, and once I figure out all the options in Pete's D3d plugin, Chrono Cross will be beautiful.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:03 pm »
Jeez though, I never really used a display like this until now, and with 1200x800, Chrono Trigger is beautiful. N64 emulation is beautiful, and once I figure out all the options in Pete's D3d plugin, Chrono Cross will be beautiful.

I'll admit, Vista does support some great resolutions.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 09:13:17 pm »
I can edit the half-open connections in uTorrent, but nothing gets around the limit of tcpip.sys, and there's no patch for SP1 yet.
I didn't address this earlier, but... yes there is a patch for tcpip.sys(Vista)─it's just that it's a third-party patch.
Vista TCP/IP and UAC patch

Hopefully this solves your problem.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:24:50 pm by BROJ »