Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots  (Read 2324 times)

Shinkiro

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:18:53 pm »
I'm not even going to acknowledge your post because half of your arguments are completely wrong. And the other half are totally ignoring my argument.

You don't know anything about this game.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 03:58:23 am »
This is the best game ever made the put all the lost pieces together and is making sense .

Naomi was acting too so she can used Foxalive to save the world in mgs4.

Anywhay So solidus isn't solidus in mgs2? He is goerge sears the precident. He was the one who was in charge in first MGS if you listen to the talking of ocelot and him in the ending of MGS.

If you don't know anything about the game go and read the MGS4 Database is F#cking FREE!!!

And DON'T say that is Bad written is the best MGS ever made.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 12:41:33 pm »
I'm not even going to acknowledge your post because half of your arguments are completely wrong.

Allow me.

Alright, let me go ahead and correct you on some parts.

Eva was distraught over the death of big boss who was actually solidus, so why should she have cared

She wasn't aware it was the body of Solidus.

At the end, Big Boss specifically tells you that Eva and Ocelot were the ones responsible for gutting Solidus’ body in order to heal Big Boss.  So she not only knew, but she was in league with Ocelot's true purpose the whole time, thereby negating the entire point of that chapter.  Which is a damn shame because I really liked that chapter.

Naomi is not anything like mgs1 naomi.

That's because everything she did in Shadow Moses was an act, her true intentions centered around avenging Gray Fox.

You have this backwards:  Her intentions in MGS1 was avenging Gary Fox.  She eventually saw the error of her ways.  Her motivation in MGS4 was to fix the mistakes her own actions, including her misguided attempt at revenge, brought about.  Somehow, this was accomplished by acting like Vamps slutty arm candy, having her way with Ottacon, and acting like a mother figure to Sunny for like five minutes before betraying her trust, all while managing to keep the attention of the 14 year olds in the audience with an ample and unnecessary display of cleavage.

The bosses were women who were really good at war because they had bad childhoods and the same phenomenon of them going crazy all happened the same way to all of them

Yeah, SOP and Nanomachines had absolutely nothing do with it. Along with the fact that they were child soldiers, thus giving them battlefield experience; that has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

Nanomachines explain everything.  That was not a compliment.

big boss is still alive and perfectly healthy even though snake killed him with fire

He was reconstructed with parts of Liquid and Solidus.

In a fictional universe rife with human clones created 30 years before the human genome was cracked, I'm prepared to give this one was pass.

Raiden, who was supposed to live out his life happily, turned into an emo ninja

Considering he thought that his wife fell i love with Colonel Campbell after he left, I don't blame him. And besides, in the end you see him with his wife and son, smiling.

Well, technically she didn’t fall for Cambell.  In any event, Raiden didn’t know that, so I can see why he'd turn all emo as she struggles with that betrayal and the surfacing of his own repressed memories as a child solider.  This also gets a pass.

Psycho mantis came back

That's a disappointment?

When the fourth wall is broken in a way that results in humor while simultaneously adding to the drama of the fiction from which it was spawned (a'la Psycho Mantis in MGS1)it's clever.  When the fourth wall is broken to tell a ten year old joke while simultaneously breaking the entire fucking point behind the B&B's Corp's back story (a'la Psycho Mantis in MGS4), its a disappointment.

Johnny and Meryl . . .

Quote from: Solid Snake
Yeah... I believe that anytime, anywhere, two people can fall in love. Even on the Battlefield, Otacon.

Even Solid Snake dissagrees with you.

I'm actually fine with this.  Even if it was predictable.

One thing though: wasn’t the same Johnny from MGS1?  If so, isn’t he a Genome Solider?  If so, shouldn’t he have already had nanomachinies?  So, why was he immune to the manipulation of the SOP system again?  PLOT HOLE!

Men die when they aren't controlled by nanos because of their own emotions.

Consider this, you've killed hundreds of innocent men on the battlefield, see your closest partners die, see lives being ripped apart, even with your own hands, and your emotions are being suppressed the entire time. Then, out of the blue everything comes surging back at you. How do you think you'd take that?

And by the by, they didn't die, the majory of them just recieved a disorder similar to PTSD.

This was one of the few plot points that actually made sense.

Turns out big bosses whole group of supporters from a mission a long time ago turned out to be the original patriots.

And?

I'm fine with this.  I'm not fine with the current Patriots being fucking AI's.  AI's that were created in the late seventies at the latest, also known as the time before computers had the processing power or memory capacity needed to even begin to approach anything remotely resembling artificial intelligence. Ok, I'm willing to accept that the US was able to clone Big Boss some thirty years before the human genome was cracked. But when I look at the problems that arise when people just try upgrade their operating system or play a new video game on rig that's more than two years old, I find it patently impossible that a computer system created so long ago could even begin to manage all the affairs of the entire world, much less the SOP System.

Tact, I didn't mind snake being old. That was one of the plot points that i thought was interesting. I'm sorry your imagination won't stretch beyond your mindless fandom. I don't think the plot was very well written at all. It's not the classic Kojima mindfuck. It's something that he turned out even though he didn't really feel like it because fanboys like you kept begging. =/

So, what you're saying, is that you didn't like that it was a unique end to the series? It really just sounds like you're pissed that it didn't consist of what you wanted it to, therefore it must be badly written.

All it had to do was make sense.  In that, it failed.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 02:07:06 pm »
Bah, the story was entertaining and that's all I wanted. 

The MGS series are like the big, special effects heavy, $150 million-dollar summer movies.  They are made purely to entertain with explosions and testosterone.  MGS is the same way - it just tries to be intelligent at the same time.

Sure there are plot holes, but all in all it was an amazing ride.  I wouldn't have wanted MGS4 any other way.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 07:38:09 pm »
Besides, some of the greatest games in history have plot holes... Senior Compendium members should know all about that, yeah?

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »
You cannot call a game well-written with one breath then admit it has plot holes with the next.  The two terms are mutually exclusive.

Fortunately the game part of MGS4 survived its hackneyed plot unscathed.  That part was a total blast. 

And if your last comment was supposed to imply that there are plot holes in CT and CC, I'm pretty sure 'Senior Compendium Members' put that argument to bed years ago.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »
Yeah.  It's true.  Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both had some plot holes.  But that doesn't mean they weren't great games!

Anywho, to each his own!  Whether you liked or loved MGS4, it's all a matter of opinion, guys.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 02:52:42 am »
Lol, wow. Arguments that Metal Gear Solid 4 wasn't a good game . . . are just silly really

Shinkiro

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 01:57:12 pm »
Metal Gear Solid 4 was nothing but fan service.

That's why all the little fan boys loved it.

Kojima didn't make it to close the series.

Closing the series was never his goal.

He made this game because he knew it'd make him a lot of fanboy money.

And it did.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:34:07 pm »
Yeah, Kojima has said that the MGS series will continue.

As for making it because he knew it's make him a lot of money...  speculative at best.  You could say that about any game that has sequels.  Halo?  Mario?  Chrono?  Final Fantasy?  Gran Turismo?  Legend of Zelda?  Pokemon?  Lego Star Wars?  Should I continue?  I don't think I should.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 03:14:19 am »
If, but little fan boys, you meant most of the gaming population and nearly every reputable game figure or reviewer . . . then yes, you were right.