Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112414 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:55 am »
I've been around dozens of people with H1N1, and haven't got it yet so I am not too worried about this strain. The Flu is a fucking bitch yes, but this one doesn't seem any worse for the victims I've seen. I think I am missing the impact of swine Flu, because when compared to the vast amount of cases  we all ways have the only huge difference is this has a name.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 20, 2009, 01:11:35 am »
It's merely the masses overreacting to something that they are fearful of. Something that has the potential of death.

Unfortunately, it's enough to send most people home crying for their masks and bubbles.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 28, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »
The good and bad news is wrapped up into one link: Obama wants to extend the school-year Hopefully more information will be released soon detailing how Obama plans to implement this.

The good news is in the extension of the school day itself. If this is accompanied by a decrease in homework (specifically in the amount of busy work assigned), then that seems like it would be a good thing. Students having trouble in math need extra instructor time, not an extra 30 problems for homework. And if schools added back in interesting electives, that would be fantabulous. This simple change could vastly improve our school systems. Start paying teachers more and get rid of those pesky standardized tests, and we would be well on our way to developing an ideal system.

The bad news is in that this may be part of also increasing the school year. The problem there comes in that children learn in a variety of manners, not all of which are represented through a traditional public school system. I will use myself as an example; sure the first month of my summer vacations tended to be a waste, back when I got such things and didn’t have to work, but the other two months tended to be very productive. After having recovered from the beat-down of school I began to be creative, which manifested itself in a wide variety of ways. Most notably, I developed writing as a hobby. Basically since 5th grade you could generally find me, during the summers, on a computer pumping out created worlds and characters (which never were completed, as I also developed editing as a hobby, which makes for a very nasty taskmaster). Cut out my summers and you’d have cut out my writing hobby, which would have cut out much of my skill with the English language and would have prevented me from excelling in school.

Children need significant free time to develop themselves, their own interests, and interpersonal relationships. They also need time specifically with their families (assuming, of course, they have decent families; I’m sure there are some children who would do well to spend less time with their families). The problem is that year-round school helps underprivileged children while holding back privileged children. Thus, it is both good and back. If it is implemented, we would be ensuring that our best and brightest are not as good or bright as they could be, but we would also be engaging in commendable behavior by helping forgotten children. Could we offer this as a possibility for children but not a requirement? Yet that merely allows for there to be a crossover of good-but-busy parents shoving their kids into such a program and bad parents shoving good kids into it. Not every kid would be held back, and not every kid would be helped forward, true, but a good number would seem like they’d be left out.

But in all likelihood, this will come to naught for a simple want of money. Teachers are already overworked and underpaid; extending the school year without appropriate compensation will just drive qualified individuals out of the field. Mind you, it wouldn’t be as simple as just paying them for the extra classroom time; one would really need to also pay them for the lost vacation as well. To be fair, this could be easily solved by chopping off the administration in most school districts above the level of principle, but I doubt that will happen.

On, Education!

Random bit of trivia: I’ve been studying Latin and an interesting thing came up. The word that we get “study” from, “studere,” does mean “to study,” but it also means “to be zealous for.” It is interesting that the Romans perceived studying as a passionate activity.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2009, 05:15:23 pm »
Quote from: Thought
To be fair, this could be easily solved by chopping off the administration in most school districts above the level of principle, but I doubt that will happen.

It's always baffled me as to why we need a Department of Education. A small bureaucratic agency could perform all of its essential functions, get rid of the more extraneous ones, and become far more efficient. Obama's a charter school man, which means more schools will be out of responsibility to their school districts, so your solutions here might not be too farfetched.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 28, 2009, 05:29:54 pm »

It's an old government stand-by when it comes to a crisis of any kind:

"When in doubt, build a bureaucracy."

People get hired, money trades hands, smiles are passed on... and nothing happens.

Check this out.  You will be in for a shock when it comes to American education:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw

Never mind that it's John Stossel narrating it.  Just look at it with an impartial point of view. 

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2009, 05:35:18 pm »
Genesis, does that video relate to the movie Idiocracy in any way?

EDIT: Hooray for John Stossel!

EDIT the 2nd: Wow....just, wow. I do want to point out that my local school district spent about 5-7,000 per student and had higher test scores and graduation rates than Charleston County or James Island, who spent upwards of $15,000.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:49:26 pm by Truthordeal »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2009, 06:03:13 pm »
Random bit of trivia: I’ve been studying Latin and an interesting thing came up. The word that we get “study” from, “studere,” does mean “to study,” but it also means “to be zealous for.” It is interesting that the Romans perceived studying as a passionate activity.

Indeed! I find that I tend to study most those things I am most passionate about. It is curiosity, thus, and appreciated, that our educational system, in name at least, cultivates not rigid disciples or mere pupils, but students. On, Zeal! On, Weal! On, Wisdom and Learning! On, Touching! On, Tasting! On, Finding and Earning! And do you recall...the most famous reindeer of allllllllllll?

Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
Like a light bulb!

And if you ever saw him,
Saw him!
you would even say it glows.
Like a light bulb!

All of the other reindeer
Used to laugh and call him names.
Like a light bulb!
They never let poor Rudolph
Rudolph!
Join in any reindeer games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve,
Santa came to say:
"Rudolph with your nose so bright,
(Like a light bulb.)

Won't! you guide my sleigh tonight?"

Then all the reindeer loved him
Like a light bulb!
Shouted out with joy and glee:
Like a light bulb!

Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer,
You'll go down in history!
Like the cotton gin!

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »
'Students beware: The summer vacation you just enjoyed could be sharply curtailed if President Barack Obama gets his way.'

i hate the way thats phrased.
it makes it sound horrible.
in any event its probably not going to effect me. unless for some reason when im like 30 i have to go back to high school. anythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatanythingbutthatpleeeeeaseanythingbutthat
will it extend to college? will it extend to certain age groups? when will it go into effect? so many quesitons, so little time!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2009, 06:28:16 am »
Good news: Progress in the pursuit of detecting dark matter:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/dark-matter-detector/

Bad news:  Ohio student dies after delaying seeking medical treatment for swine flu.  I pulled this off of the Democracy Now website:
In Ohio, a recent college graduate has died from the swine flu after delaying medical treatment because she didn’t have health insurance. Friends and family members say twenty-two-year-old Kimberly Young fell ill two weeks ago. She put off medical care out of concern she wouldn’t be able to afford it as an uninsured patient. Classmates say Young was passionate about social justice while enrolled at Ohio’s Miami University, where she earned two degrees and was involved in the groups Students for Peace and Justice and the Association of Latin American Students. She had worked two jobs since graduating last year.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 29, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
Shit. Uboa, thanks for that story; it pisses me off so much! Poor girl couldn't even find a job suited to her training, although she had a degree. Miami is highly respected too. It baffles me how much The Invisible Hand can mismanage the human talent sitting right in its grasp, and thus fall so short of its production possibilities frontier.

EDIT: Here's some more on the Miami U grad who died (reportedly) from H1N1:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/deceased-miami-student-remembered-for-her-passion-315472.html

Frick. She had four separate areas of concentration: two majors and two minors. And she couldn't land anything other than, wait for it:

Young lived in an off-campus apartment and had been working at least two jobs — four years at the Kofenya coffee shop and nearly three years at the Bagel & Deli, both on High Street in uptown Oxford.

Excuse me. I'm going to go into a corner and chew my wrist for a bit. I wonder if she would have taken a job with Organizing for America, which is essentially the outcome of plans for "Obama 2.0."  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:55:49 pm by FaustWolf »

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #596 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »
Linda McMahon, CEO of the WWE, is planning a run for Chris Dodd's Senate seat.

So, in 2010 we'll either have a bunch of steroid-fed Super Congressmen™ or Chris Dodd. I don't know which one scares me more.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #597 on: October 01, 2009, 12:55:26 pm »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:28 am »
Good News

Important fossil discovery is being published; it'll help refute "missing link" apologists:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/10/photogalleries/oldest-human-skeleton-ardi-missing-link-chimps-pictures/

Bad News

Roman Polanski agrees to be under house arrest. This house:

http://cdn.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/091238541.jpg

No word yet on if it's official, but if he gets it, damn. What a "punishment" for someone who date-raped and sodomized a 13 year old girl. Yes, sodomized. Humanity at its worst.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #599 on: October 03, 2009, 11:37:47 am »