Author Topic: Top 10 RPGs of all time  (Read 12264 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2006, 06:47:40 am »
But do bosses get stronger?

Princess Marle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2006, 11:13:47 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin

They dont level up like monsters and Characters do in FF8 but yeah they should get Stronger,Seifer and Edea get stronger and I dont waste time trying to draw I only draw the summon a couple of spells then try and kill the boss a.s.a.p ...
Final Fantasy 9 did not really have hard bosses..just the final one and that's normal..

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:41 pm »

Yes, they do.  And also, your preciously "Level Down" ability doesn't work on them.

Case in point of bosses getting stronger;  Fight Diablo the first chance you get.  Thats a mistake I made my first time playing, before I learned I get punished for leveling up.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2006, 02:59:44 am »
Oh my beloved Diablo, what could I do without you!

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2006, 04:35:25 am »
Diablo is awesome, especially for his abilities.

But also, Sentenal, you can't just draw every single magic in the game early on AND be able to junction them all to all your stats and be invincinble. You still have to level up your GFs (hell, GET enough of them, really) and get through the game to get strong enough magic.

FF8 definetely ain't one of the harder FFs, but it's not easy-type. FF7 is easy-type, in my opinion. Takes even less patience and time than 8.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
Bull shit.  A game where its easyer when you don't level, a game were all you need to do is sit in a battle and draw till your invinisble?  FF7 is harder in every aspect.  You actually have to level up in that game.

Ramsus

Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2006, 08:53:53 pm »
Actually, carding enemies, playing cards, and refining high level magic spells is your best bet early on in FF8. You won't gain any experience, and you'll get a ton of relatively powerful spells to junction.

Then if you learn how to effectively use Zell and Squall's limit breaks, you can make it through most of the game pretty quickly.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2006, 12:15:16 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
Bull shit.  A game where its easyer when you don't level, a game were all you need to do is sit in a battle and draw till your invinisble?  FF7 is harder in every aspect.  You actually have to level up in that game.

Both of which merely take time, Sentenal. It's not about easy and hard, it's about time spent and patience. After that, there's strategy (with bosses, mostly)...but neither games really involve a helluva lot of strategy, battles-wise.

And 8 is not easier when you don't level up. Most enemies don't level up to 100, and they don't get significantly stronger when they level up, either. Just makes it so you can't level up for days at the beginning and totally sweep through the game on a hit per battle. That's the way I see it.

Princess Marle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2006, 10:25:37 pm »
Final Fantasy 7 is way easy..but if you want a FF challage play Final Fantasy 4 HARDTYPE ...that game can be fun,yet it can be nasty !! :x

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2006, 03:51:21 am »
Pah, I found FFIV easytype enough of a pain in the ass just because of clonky, awkward, slow controls and gameplay. And I know I'm opening the door to an angry Sentenal, but 'tis the truth. I really wish I had a GBA for the FFIV port, since the original SNES one is flawed in it's own way, and the PSX port is...well, infamous, as most their ports (save Origins). Bah.

I can't really consider any of the FF's really hard. Xenosaga is hard.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2006, 08:40:32 pm »
Slow controls?  They are just as responsive as any modern FF game.  Clunky?  Nope.  The only thing control wise about FF4 easy type is that is "slow" or "clumsy" is that you walk everywhere.  Still beat that game in 16 hours :)

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2006, 03:30:10 am »
As I recall, the menus were rather prehistoric compared to 5 and especially 6 and CT as far as ease and quickness. Shops, main menu, equipping, item menu, etc...everything just seemed outdated and handicapped. I guess I'm just spoiled by CT.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2006, 03:55:48 am »
Sentenal, you are thinking of drawing as "Draw success, gain 2000000000 fire, kill opponent, happy dance" kinda way. It's not. The fact is, you must manage your team abilities. Once I got more than 2 new abilities (abilities as in Attack, Item, Doom etc.) I never used Draw. Why? Well it sucked for the most part. I only equipped it when I read in a walkthrough (what!?) that a certain enemy has a summon or an uber cool magic, or when I needed it to draw from magic points. Sure, you could make it so that one team member has draw, and the others have Card, Recover and the like, but in practice, it just doesn't work. Is this how you played your run through of FF8 Sentenal, just drawing and killing? I felt draw was a nice, 'innovative' (for FF anyways) change to FF, but not one I would keep for the entire series (not as the basic battle~magic ability, but maybe as a new technique)

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2006, 01:13:35 am »
Sentenal, you are thinking of drawing as "Draw success, gain 2000000000 fire, kill opponent, happy dance" kinda way. It's not. The fact is, you must manage your team abilities. Once I got more than 2 new abilities (abilities as in Attack, Item, Doom etc.) I never used Draw. Why? Well it sucked for the most part. I only equipped it when I read in a walkthrough (what!?) that a certain enemy has a summon or an uber cool magic, or when I needed it to draw from magic points. Sure, you could make it so that one team member has draw, and the others have Card, Recover and the like, but in practice, it just doesn't work. Is this how you played your run through of FF8 Sentenal, just drawing and killing? I felt draw was a nice, 'innovative' (for FF anyways) change to FF, but not one I would keep for the entire series (not as the basic battle~magic ability, but maybe as a new technique)

You only have the Draw ability on while you are building your "Tanks".  Once you get 99 on as many stats as you can, you switch it to something else.  Then the game becomes Easy-Mode.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2006, 03:19:30 am »
Is that how you played through it, because I doubt your theory works. In theory it works, but in practice...well, its the whole communism thang again