Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484535 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6270 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
Decided to drop my "friends".  I'm sorry, but if I've known you for a year and you still haven't taken the time nor the effort to truly get to know me, then don't expect me to hang around.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:11:03 am by Sajainta »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6271 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »
Decided to drop my "friends".  I'm sorry, but if I've known you for a year and you still haven't taken the time nor the effort to truly get to know me, then don't expect me to hang around.
Ah, Facebook problems, aye? Hah, that's usually why I stay away from it.

I don't get why people aren't movin to Google Plus...

EDIT: My frustration is Consumerism, and it's grand "brainwashery" towards eradicating empathy and corrupting "Social Networks". 'nuff said.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:21:03 pm by tushantin »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: October 23, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »
Ah, Facebook problems, aye? Hah, that's usually why I stay away from it.

Unfortunately, no.  I'm talking about offline, face-to-face friend dumping.  I wish this were just a Facebook thing.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6273 on: October 23, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »
Ah. So what happened? Did a friend do / say something? Shall I draw on their face with a permanent marker?

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: October 23, 2011, 01:02:20 pm »
I don't get why people aren't movin to Google Plus...

It might help if they stopped trying to be the name police (not to mention that the service isn't out of beta yet, IIRC).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: October 24, 2011, 03:26:08 am »
On that note, I've found the so-called Nymwars frustrating. A bunch of self-righteous dolts, if you ask me, distracting from what portion of their position on this contention is credible.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/4chans_chris_poole_facebook_google_are_doing_it_wr.php

Chris Poole is right that “identity is prismatic,” as “we present ourselves differently in different contexts.” I am sympathetic to his desire to control one’s identity online. Nevertheless, he is mistaken to underestimate the simplistic view that “who you are online is who you are offline.” Insofar as cyberspace is an extension of the real world in terms of societies and economies, it’s not only very popular but also quite useful to use one’s own primary identity. With that, importantly, comes the opportunities to develop and maintain one’s social connections and business interests.

“We’re more like diamonds,” he says, meaning that we are multifaceted. But most people, in most circumstances, are not. The aspect of cyberspace that empowers us to be whomever we wish to be—which I think is its second most exciting and powerful quality, after its massive “passport to the world” quality—is flatly useless to most people most of the time. Services like Facebook and Google+ don’t cater to this frontier of electronic possibilities. The facilitate the development of the physical world’s socioeconomic webs. I think it’s appropriate for large social networks to place an emphasis on real names, although (as I have said before) I would not go so far as to unequivocally require real names. However, the more people who use their real names on these services, the more effective and relevant these services become. (Incidentally, Google+ will soon be offering pseudonyms and brands; a lot of this blow-up is that people were too sanctimoniously impatient, as if building a service for millions of users and making it work well is so friggin' easy.)

This wouldn’t be an operative truth if people were more delighted in their own exquisiteness, as the cultures out on the frontiers of the virtual worlds of cyberspace would come to rival even those of the real world, and thus it might be as interconnecting for your typical jack to use a handle or pseudonym as it would be to use a primary identity—which is nominally one’s legal name or some abbreviated or diminished portion of it. Yet, as well we know, people are not delighted in their own exquisiteness. They are not typically multifaceted diamonds. Facebook and, to a much lesser but still noteworthy extent, Google+, are the appropriate venues to accommodate humanity as it is and not as we would wish for it to be.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6276 on: October 24, 2011, 07:06:06 am »
Interesting read! Although I think I'm with Poole on this one; while most people have a simplistic approach with primary identities, it's actually pretty easy to change the "facets" of ones identity, personality, attributes, etc. both online and off. Depending on how people prefer to present themselves, they will assume such identity (I once managed to convince people offline that I was a Prince from Rajhasthan by modifying my speech, attire, thought process and body language, and pulled a successful prank for heck's sake). And depending on the circumstances, they will change their facets. After all, we only know people by how they present themselves, not who they really are, and it's pretty easy to judge them as "simpletons" even if they prefer to use primary identities for the sake of privacy -- but their primary identities are always, constantly refined.

For instance, you probably know me as a youthful clown (or a "gentleman thinker"; depends who you ask), because that's how I like to present myself; but what would you know about my skills, my vivid armory of personalities, my thoughts, my clothes, my preferences, etc.? I can easily be the best dressed Baron one day, and a slum wretch the next.

(Note: The above paragraphs relate to "People are like diamonds" issue; below relates to Social Networking Names.)

However, you're right on one regard that for most people it's simply useless, especially online; then again "names" alone don't establish identity, but helps facilitate it -- people find it convenient to let others know who they are rather than not. Although, unless you live in UK, what if you'd like to "upgrade" your identity by stating a, say, Pen Name? Mark Twain would sigh in disbelief if his account was deleted on Google Plus.

And yet we're stuck with the dilemma of whether people would be true to themselves. Some take facetual (is that a word?) identity to levels they can't handle and stumble, but would almost never hone and re-invent themselves for who they are or what they represent. Facebook and Google Plus help them re-invent themselves. However, as I mentioned before, they also somehow restrict much "empathetic connection" with people compared to how you're used it in real-life. This isn't much of an extension, but more of degeneration. Then again, it's just me -- I abhor mixing social life with consumerism and marketing.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:31 am »
Sigh. The real problems with Google+'s name policy have to do with:

1. People who are getting their GMail, etc. accounts deactivated because Google doesn't like the info they put in for Google+. This is the real big one and it has absolutely nothing to do with which names are permitted.
2. The screening algorithm is broken and will disallow some people's real names ("Megazone") while allowing obvious fakes like "Pepsico Jobs", due to the usual Really Bad Programmer Assumptions about what a "name" is.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:52 am »
But you weren't talking about technical complications in Google's policy. You were talking about the policy itself, about Google being the so-called "name police." If not for the technical complications, would you still hold your position?

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:01 am »
To be painfully correct, tushantin asked why people weren't switching to Google+ from Facebook, and I provided a couple of reasons why some people might not desire to switch, nothing more. (It may have been badly worded—I've had a constant migraine for several days now and have been intermittently taking painkillers which make me drowsy/spacy.) But yes, my position is that it's none of Google—or anyone else's—damned business whether a name someone uses online is real or fake unless that person is engaged in a transaction that has certain types of real-world consequences (and name alone isn't sufficient identification or authorization for transactions involving money or government documents anyway). A social network doesn't have those kinds of consequences. The name policing harms the minority without benefitting the majority.

I suspect that http://blog.talkingidentity.com/2011/09/google-and-the-trouble-with-tribbles.html might be correct about what's really going on (short version: Google was trying to use Google+ information to build up Google Profiles). If that's the case, it's hardly surprising that it backfired—the honey just wasn't sweet enough to entrap enough flies. Especially since people who sign up for a beta-quality service are more likely than average to be technophiles, who are in turn more likely to not be using their real names online.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: October 24, 2011, 11:28:41 am »
Facebook also has a real-name policy.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »
Facebook may have such a policy on the books, but they've never enforced it against people who aren't otherwise making trouble. Nor are they ever likely to—Facebook's customers are advertisers, and they know that even if the profile is fake, the eyes looking at the page are real. (And I approve even less of Facebook than I do of Google+, FWIW.)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: October 26, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »
I can't stand it when I take the time to write a really long, deep post or a really funny post on my blog and no one comments.  -_____-

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6283 on: October 26, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »
I can't stand it when I take the time to write a really long, deep post or a really funny post on my blog and no one comments.  -_____-
Then share it. XD We know you got a blog, but don't know where. Some of us would gladly read.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6284 on: October 29, 2011, 07:37:34 am »
 :picardno