Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484530 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4980 on: February 14, 2010, 04:08:55 am »
Holy shit, I just now learned about the terrorist attack Tushantin. Are you and your family & friends okay? I can only suspect the problem is that, unlike you, the perpetrators of this crime don't carry within them a constructive dream. Because they've never tasted the act of creation, all they can do is tear down. Granted, it would have been helpful if more opportunities were available to the perpetrators growing up. I hope this is a one-time thing and not the beginning of a wave of these things. Stay safe.

random404, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I think everyone works through these things in their own way; your family will need time above all else. While I'm a strong supporter of cryogenics in principle, I feel it isn't anywhere near what it needs to be, either in terms of the science or in the structure through which the service is provided. There's no guarantee that it's going to work down the road, and I worry what will happen to the preserved persons if the corporations who are dabbling in this practice go out of business.

An interesting way of dealing with grief might be to do something in the person's honor, whether that means taking on a project or getting the family together to reminisce for an afternoon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:16:08 am by FaustWolf »

random404

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: February 14, 2010, 07:24:54 am »
Today is also Chinese New Years. :(
Thank you for all the kind words, btw. And that's a horrible thing to go through, tushantin. Hope your friends and family are safe.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4982 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:20 am »
Me and my family's safe (considering our flat is situated in an area surrounded by military bases/schools such as Armed Forces, Intelligence Departments, Armed Medical Colleges, etc. which is why we often feel safe. Although my father usually delivers food around the city due to which I panicked last evening, but he's fine; he didn't go near the area since 5 pm. Still, this means I'll have to quit classes for a while (since it's nearby Koregaon Park and is heavily crowded) just to keep on the safe side.

I thought our city was much safer than the likes of Mumbai, but I guess they were false ideas. Even though I have no reason to fear so long as I'm in a safer haven I still can't help but feel loathing for those people...

And you're right on one thing, FW. The only thing that can thwart this problem is the act of creation itself. Still, one person's mistake could be so dangerous...

Oh yeah, happy Chinese New Year! But of course, something tragic in a good day always is a great kick in the nuts. I know some people in the Compendium might scream at me for praying this, but the least we can do is pray, Random404.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:38 am »
I just spent 3 hours lying awake in bed, cannot sleep. I might as well get up at 5:30am...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4984 on: February 14, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »
These trolls making threads about the GameFAQs character battle are starting to tick me off.

There are THREE separate threads for this. I understand why this would be important to us and beneficial to our interests, but this is about overkill.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4985 on: February 14, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »
These trolls making threads about the GameFAQs character battle are starting to tick me off.

There are THREE separate threads for this. I understand why this would be important to us and beneficial to our interests, but this is about overkill.

Seriously, it's worse than their last stupid poll...Maybe due to more awareness of the Compendium? We have polls too, y'know! You don't see any of us trolling about it on other forums! Y'know why? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EFFING MATTER!!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: February 14, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »
"If you want more Crono, you should vote for him more!"
 :lol:

I do feel bad that Crono's losing to a...what was it again? But at least it's close!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »
When you call a professor (at their house number!) about something important and they don't get back in touch with you.  Grrrrrrr!  :x  I understand you're probably busy and all but guess what?  I am too!

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:11 am »
When you call a professor (at their house number!) about something important and they don't get back in touch with you.  Grrrrrrr!  :x  I understand you're probably busy and all but guess what?  I am too!
Professors, in a nutshell (I adore PHD comics) :

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:01 am »
Oh man, I am definitely going to show these to my father!  He went through the grueling process of getting a PhD, and he's now a professor.  Never one of mine though, thank god!  I would never have been able to survive in any of his classes (not to mention he teaches at the post-graduate level and I'm still an undergrad).  He's always been known as the toughest professor.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: February 16, 2010, 10:33:42 am »
Aye, PhD Comics is great. Particularly since it is currently being created by a Doctor! of Philosophy

Though, unfortunately, it is a little too accurate.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:58 am »
Though, unfortunately, it is a little too accurate.

Ah, all the wonderful things I get to look forward to after I graduate!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:34:54 am by Sajainta »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4992 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
Hmmmm...do I really need to write, "V says: Do not make a list, this is not Facebook" in the title of the Stuff You Love thread? Naw...that'd just be silly...V_T (hey! I found a purpose for the weird smiley the beginning of my SN makes! That's almost worthy of putting in the Stuff You Love thread itself, ha!)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:58 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/sugar-may-be-bad-but-this_b_463655.html

Okay, natural medicine people: If you want to be taken seriously, you gotta be scientific. You don't get to be "better" than science. You don't have any authority by yourself. If you're not willing to demonstrate your claims scientifically, I'm not willing to take you seriously. Drop the sanctimonious attitude, the mystical insinuations, and the abject mookery. You undermine any credibility that natural medicine might have when you divorce your activities from good science. You don't get to make up wild shit, you just don't. And, if you do it anyway, you can expect a wild flush.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:23 am »
Maybe I missed something in the article, but how is that natural medicine?

While the author does indeed make wacky leaps and makes unscientific statements (such as claiming that all sugar, of any kind, is inherently bad), the general theme seems to be that high fructose corn syrup is worse than "real" sugar, which indeed is in line with current science. A simple pubmed search can indicate as much (you can read full articles at PubMed Central, but that doesn't go back as far).

This seems to be more of a case of someone with a smattering of real knowledge making poor assumptions, rather than natural medicine going crazy. But again, did I miss something?