Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 486690 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4290 on: October 18, 2009, 10:46:26 pm »
Frustration: News headlines which contain a quote, where the newsworthiness of the story depends upon the validity of the quote, and the quote cannot be assumed valid.

Example: That damn balloon boy thing has been all over the news this week, especially since the whole escapade is now under suspicion for being a hoax. Just now, while reading the news, I came across a headline which said US balloon boy case "was a hoax." Having already read the story yesterday, I know that they're quoting the local law enforcement officials who are investigating the incident, and who have said they plan to file charges.

They may well be right, and the whole thing may well have been a hoax. But the family hasn't admitted to it, and no court has yet determined it. Therefore the possibility remains that the whole thing was not a hoax, in which case that BBC headline is wrong at best and libelous at worst.

Well-known is my disdain for headline writers, who are easily the weakest link in the journalistic process. How I loathe the depths of unprofessionalism to which their pragmatism will bring them!

If any of you ever get into journalism, just please remember this one simple rule: Don't editorialize, insinuate, or slant your work. Just report the relevant facts.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:26 pm »
I wasted $1.50 on two Snickers bars that were apparently some kind of "SPECIAL EDITION YAY".  Extra caffeine and such, or some bullshit.  I was in need of some chocolate, so I bought two bars from a vending machine without thinking twice about the fancy-schmancy silver wrapping.  I put one bar in my mouth only to find that it tasted like rotten Fig Newtons...or what I would expect rotten Fig Newtons to taste like.  I forced myself to eat the entire thing, became ill, promptly threw the other one away, and now there's this godawful aftertaste of rotten Fig Newtons in my mouth.  GODDAMN YOU SNICKERS.  And fuck me for ignoring the wrappings and just thinking it was some special Halloween marketing...  -__-

Snickers::  1.
Sajainta::  0.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:56 pm »
Sajainta, that's why I just drink beer. However, a bad beer can be pretty bad too. But not as bad as a rotten fig newton, certainly.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »
Sometimes, the sides in a conflict are woefully mismatched. Sometimes, in such conflicts, it's the weaker side who is in the wrong. But the West has a massive collective blind spot to such things. Witness: Israel vs. Palestine.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: October 19, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »
Oh, do we have a thread on the Israel/Palestine conflict already, or shall we start one? That could be an interesting discussion for sure.

EDIT: Yup, it's here:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,2505.0.html

What a blast from the past; GrayLensman even posted back then.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:25:57 pm by FaustWolf »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: October 19, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »
After continuing (to procrastinate on) my homework, I realized that I really wanted a Butterfinger bar.  Yes, a Butterfinger would get rid of this ghastly rotten Fig Newton aftertaste.  I went down to the vending machine with my change only to discover that it didn't accept pennies.  Why wouldn't it accept pennies?!?!  I was 5 cents short and it wouldn't accept any of my pennies!

But instead of becoming too angry, I became innovative.  There is a soda vending machine right next to the snacks one and I figured "Well hey--I'll put a dollar in there, press the "return coins" button and get 4 quarters!  And then I can get TWO Butterfingers!  How is this not the perfect plan?".  I did so.  Nothing happened.  In my absolute stupidity, I thought "Well, everything in the machine costs more than a dollar...maybe if I put another dollar in, I can get all my money back."

And, you guessed it.  Nothing happened.  I pushed the button.  I slammed on the button.  I kicked the side of the vending machine out of frustration.  I cursed the Heavens.  And then I returned upstairs.

Some lucky bastard is going to get a free soda.  Well...one of my SoY goals was to "practice random acts of kindness".  This was certainly random (AND UNINTENTIONAL!) all right.  That lucky bastard...

Vending Machine::  2.
Sajainta::  0.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: October 19, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »
Ouch.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4297 on: October 19, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »
Sajainta, I LOVE your Chibi Magus hates you avatar. I suppose a frustration would be I haven't found it yet myself :lol:

On the subject of getting gyped of money... last Thursday, I stopped by the school's espresso stand for a drink. I rather dislike coffee, but most espresso shops serve hot chocolate as well. It was one of my tutoring days, so I figured the sugar and warmth would do me good. The menu sported "white chocolate" under the "HOT" menu for three bucks. A bit expensive, but hey, I love chocolate! So I order the drink and walk over to the couch lounge to wait the hour till my next class and chat with the automotive students, who always break there at that time. Turns out it wasn't hot white chocolate, but white chocolate flavoured coffee. It was disgusting, so I gave it to one of the automotive girls. She liked it, and I'm glad I made someone happy, but I'll never got those three dollars back, nor will I know the joys of hot white chocolate on a cold Thursday morn.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:34 pm »
It frustrates me how passenger airplanes seem to be designed to minimize the realization in the passenger that they are flying. There are largely unnecessary snacks, uncomfortable seats, small windows that are placed too low to easily see out of, magazines are in the seat in front of you, etc etc etc. People are flying and everything seems to be designed to prevent them from marveling at that fact.

The anti-choice people...

I find the phrase "anti-choice" to be a rather frustrating one. For one, it's rude. Second, while there is a degree of accuracy in the statement, it is a "weasel word;" even if we assume that being anti-choice is an inherent part of the stance, it is not the primary component.

Though, there is a degree of a truth-in-advertising appeal to it...

I put one bar in my mouth only to find that it tasted like rotten Fig Newtons...or what I would expect rotten Fig Newtons to taste like.

Wrong thread, I know, but I love that you expanded on that thought. Partially because I get annoyed when people describe the taste of one thing by comparing it to something that they have never tasted. The most common example of this is, of course, “this tastes like shit.”

I also get annoyed when people ask me if I want to do something when they really mean to ask if I would be willing to do something for them. Example:

“Would you like to pass me the salt?”
“Nope.”
“…”
“Would you like me to pass you the salt?”
“Yes.”
“Ah, well why didn’t you say so?”

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: October 20, 2009, 01:36:39 am »

I also get annoyed when people ask me if I want to do something when they really mean to ask if I would be willing to do something for them. Example:

“Would you like to pass me the salt?”
“Nope.”
“…”
“Would you like me to pass you the salt?”
“Yes.”
“Ah, well why didn’t you say so?”

That's great. I wholly concur.

In a similar vein, but for a different reason, I don't like when people say "REALLY?" after you break big news to them. I saw "Miracle on 34th St." when I was young, and something that really stuck with me was the main character grabbing a woman and almost yelling "Do ya MEAN IT?" in a tone that was so weird and old-fashioned to me, all suspension of disbelief would drop right there. All I could think was "did people really talk like that?" After that, it bothered me when people said "really?" instead of "oh." or "I didn't expect that." or something appropriate that didn't suggest the bearer of news was lying. For a good while I spent my time thinking of plausible outrageous things like "did you hear killer bees got loose in this state after getting through airport security?" (the example obviously would not work in post-9-11 America) just to hear someone say "really?" so I could immediately follow with a quick and simple "nope".

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4300 on: October 20, 2009, 04:18:12 pm »
The anti-choice people...

I find the phrase "anti-choice" to be a rather frustrating one. For one, it's rude. Second, while there is a degree of accuracy in the statement, it is a "weasel word;" even if we assume that being anti-choice is an inherent part of the stance, it is not the primary component.

Though, there is a degree of a truth-in-advertising appeal to it...

"Pro-life" is at least equally weaselly. Legal Abortion Abolitionists is the lease weaselly name I can think of at the moment, but it doesn't really roll off the tongue.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: October 20, 2009, 07:10:57 pm »
oh god my sister came home from school today with a container of lime scented bubbles.
quick, to fort antibubble! may it rise again!

this isnt just my main frustration. its my frustration with teens now.
when i was in high school (about a year or two ago now) we had functions. we were tempted to go to these functions with the promise of food, a chance to miss class, or just random things to play with. especially food. now at these functions they also give out information on the cause or idea theyre advertising. mental illness, possible careers, colleges, how to have safe sex. my sister came home today with three things, other than her bag.
1. a container of bubbles.
2. a bag full of gathered paraphernalia.
3. a bumper sticker.
now mind you, the sticker was appropriate for the cause and it also got peoples attention. but when i asked what all she saw there, she said that none of it stuck out.
thats the problem.
this information needs to sink in, dammit!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: October 20, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »
Was this a presentation on the importance of building lime-scented domed cities out of recycled bumper stickers?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 20, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »
Someone's Facebook status::

"[Name] is feeling really really naseaus. I hate feeling this way."

I hate you spelling that way.  English is your first language.  I understand "nauseous" isn't the easiest word to spell ever, but for fuck's sake there's spellcheck for a reason!

:picardno

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4304 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:22 am »
The imagination can be a beautiful thing. Truly, it can. I know I've fallen in love with many mind-children of men, and many stories. But sometimes this gift just squanders itself, losing itself in its environs.
And sometimes, I wonder... I wonder too much.
I wonder, if Nolan and Peter and Sabrina and Larry were to leave, and it be just my mother and brother and dogs and self living here, would I still hear the arguments? Would the shouting still sound in the kitchen, the smell of smoke and alcohol still waft down the hall? Would I ever lay my head upon this bed of mine of seven years for a new night of peace, or would it that pillow only give a troubled sleep?
I wonder, if were it just us, would we be happy; or, rather, would we seek new ways to tear ourselves apart? Can a family be a family without daily drawing mental scars? Can a mother be a mother without daily fighting for her perch upon the home's throne?
I wonder if the shouting will ever end, if me and mine will ever find our happy ending. The boy barks and howls, attempting to wrest control of the household, attempting to impress his girlfriend. The old man puts up with it for nothing other than the licensed pot and the alcohol. He's lost control of his house, no longer an alpha male. Mom's threatening to leave again, Nolan's "putting his foot down" on the wrong issues, and Peter gloats at the rift he's caused. He's content to smoke and mooch.
Are all families like this?
Are all men?

Am I going to end up like this, too?