Author Topic: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.  (Read 8231 times)

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:57:19 am »
Since the Chrono Trigger DS game is going to be released in a matter of weeks, do you guys think that a Chrono Cross remake is possible?
I believe that there is a possibility that it could be remade.
Since Trigger was ported to the DS, it is most likely that Square will finally give some attention to the Chrono series.
Discuss...

satchel_dawg

Re: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:33:10 am »
it's very possible. if ct ds does well then the series actually might be revived.

Nickolz

• Porrean (+50)
  • Dreambender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:30:01 pm »
if ct ds does well then the series actually might be revived. [2]

But I seriously doubt there will be a CC remake. I think a new spin-off is more probable.

But I also doubted the series would ever be touched again by SE, so I don't completely believe in myself.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:09 pm »
I don't think that it would be a good use of resources to remake Chrono Cross--a port, on the other hand, is pretty probable at this point. I think both the PSP and the DS could handle CC and do it justice, but the probability of a full-fledged remake is pretty low, in my opinion.

I don't feel that SE will put out a new installment in the series either. Not yet, at least. If they ported CC, then I'd change my mind, but CTDS alone probably won't push SE to do much...unless the financial figures and fan reaction are just phenomenal.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »
I believe that they will remake it; it's far too good of a game, and series, to be neglected. I don't understand why Square Enix focuses on games, like some of the Final Fantasy games, that do not receive as good of reviews than both CT and CC have gotten. Clearly, CT and CC offer players a different experience than your generic Final Fantasy. It's sad how the series have become underrated, when they have so much potential.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »
As much as I would want a CC remake, I doubt it will happen.  With all the arguments and parting of fans from CC being so different, I just can't see Square doing it.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »
I can see one.

When Playstation and N64 and Dreamcast games are remade constantly the way we do nowadays with SNES & Genesis and we were with NES for awhile there.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:42:22 pm »
I could see it...  It would make sense...  But it wouldn't be on the DS.  Maybe PSP or something.

But I'd much rather see a new Chronoverse game and story!  :D

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »
I think a PSP "enhanced port" seems like a good idea (though I've been saying such since the before times*)...From what I remember, the Elements got a piss-poor translation at the very least...I also don't think it'd be that big of a drain on resources. I mean, for remakes they usually hand it off to some 3rd party, anyways...though with CTDS, Kato's been involved, so I think that's probably the way any kind of remake/port should go down with Chrono Cross as well...And, just like I want with CTDS, a CC special edition PSP would be friggin sweet.

*BCTDS

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »
Oh hell yeah, a special-edition of either handheld would be great. And the idea of enhanced ports seems to be something SE is more than accustomed to at this point: all of the SNES Final Fantasy games were enhanced and ported onto the GBA, Final Fantasy Tactics had a great port on to the PSP, and now CT is having a phenomenal enhanced port, and to make things better, they don't just stop at fixing up the script, they tend to add some bonus material. Looks like un-enhanced ports are nonexistent now: it's either an enhanced port or an enhanced remake (like Final Fantasy 3 and 4 on the DS).

But hardware-wise, Chrono Cross is already at the DS and PSP's level, so there's no reason to remake the game; a simple port will do good. The real question (for me, at least) is whether I'd rather see it on the PSP or the DS.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:21 am »
I already play Cross on my PSP, but...

HERE is what I think we need: a Cross enhanced port in the style Star Ocean 2 got in its PSP port The Second Evolution. New art, same graphics, but with new voice actors (yes, Cross would really benefit from voice-overs in my opinion) and an enhanced script, etc. All Cross really needs is to balance itself a little, make battles less tedious, expand the script more, focus on around 10 playable characters, and perhaps not have Serge a mute.

With that, in my opinion I think Cross would work well on the PSP. Plus it'll no doubt be in SE's consideration after the inevitable success of Chrono Trigger DS.

And, just like I want with CTDS, a CC special edition PSP would be friggin sweet.

Hell yes.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
I hope they include some new art with CTDS, and do the same with CC. But as far as voice actors go, they tend to sound a little crappy to me--I despised the voices in FF4, and almost all the voices in the enhanced port of Final Fantasy Tactics--they tend to use voice actors who don't sound all that professional, and with Chrono Cross's abundance of characters I doubt they'd give the characters some well-rounded actors. But if they used some great voices, I'd be all for it.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »
If CC will be remade, I hope it's on the DS seeing as I have no PSP and people who do have one can already play Cross anyway. I'm sure the DS can handle the graphics of CC.

A remake would kick ass. I'm already this much psyched that I'll get to play CT on my DS, CC on top of it would be epic.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 02:56:38 pm »
Well technically people can already play CT on DS, so I'd hope that those people would still want to buy CTDS, just like I'd hope that people who own PSPs would still buy a PSP port of Chrono Cross. But I agree, getting CC would be such a good treat, especially after seeing how great CTDS will be.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:02 pm »
Huh? Is that right? I didn't know you could play CT on a DS already  :D

Anyway, I have an R4, and I'll probably download CTDS and play on that, but I'm also gonna buy the original game. If anything, just for the fact that maybe Square will blow new life into the Chrono series if it sells good.