Author Topic: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.  (Read 8398 times)

RyougaSaotome

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 08:51:42 am »
As much as I love Chrono Cross, I feel like a remake is just unnecessary. Especially if it's just to iron out some details.

We're better off getting a new game that could neatly fill those details in and connect the two previous games. Granted, that's probably less likely to happen but...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:33 pm »
I agree--a new sequel would be nice, but the probability of such a miraculous event is kinda dismal...but a port of CC would be neat, everyone's raving over the CT port, shouldn't CC get the same recognition? 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »
I always thought the Grand Slam would have been better if expanded upon...

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:26 am »
I think this more than makes sense because basically every game in the series so far has started in a new one
Thank you for the correction regarding the events between games. That does is fitting of Kato's style and that's part of the elements that makes Cross weaker than Trigger in my eyes.  Seems like the approach is that just about any "what-if" situation branches off to be another potential time-line and world.  Personally, I don't think time works that way, and I think its shoddy writing to take that approach, (or at least shoddy to be blunt about it)  as you don't need as much connection to anything that happened previously, or what could happen in the future, and simply write it off as it did and didn't happen.  Why?  Because people have various characteristics and patterns that determine what decisions and actions that they make, its not a matter of 'what-if'.  If I based a large portion of my decisions, or at least major ones, around my liking the color red, there aren't going to be time lines where the variable change was "what if I had based my decisions around a different color"  without a factor creating this change in the time line.  Taking the "what if" approach weakens characterization, narrative reliability, and interest in how the events effects the characters. 

Anyone reading this, if you've played both Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy 7, which game do you think has the greater emotional weight on its characters?  Between the winner of those two, or heck even just toss in there Chrono Trigger, whichever comparison set helps your mental imaging.  There may be differences in genre/story telling approach, but that doesn't matter in this comparison.  Any story, in any medium, should strive to place some sort of emotional attachment to the stories characters as a means of connecting the audience to the story.

I agree--a new sequel would be nice, but the probability of such a miraculous event is kinda dismal...but a port of CC would be neat, everyone's raving over the CT port, shouldn't CC get the same recognition? 

Yea, i don't think a remake would even be considered.  Kato was in everything in Cross, so I doubt there's anything he's want to 'remake' or add to in a story sense to Cross.  A port might be a possibility, as it would be pretty easy to just dress up Cross for the PSone.  Plus. all things Square-enix could be doing remakes/releases for,  there's a host of other things I'd rather them do than Cross.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 04:37:21 pm »
Anyone reading this, if you've played both Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy 7, which game do you think has the greater emotional weight on its characters?

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with that comparison as both games Character Development kinda sucked...I'd give it to CC though since Kid on her own outweighs anyone from FF7...

Yea, i don't think a remake would even be considered.  Kato was in everything in Cross, so I doubt there's anything he's want to 'remake' or add to in a story sense to Cross.  A port might be a possibility, as it would be pretty easy to just dress up Cross for the PSone.  Plus. all things Square-enix could be doing remakes/releases for,  there's a host of other things I'd rather them do than Cross.

That's odd though because we know that things were changed in the English releases to make things make more sense/clear some things up...Also, it's not like SE puts everything on hold for any of their remakes...most of the time it's an entire 3rd party, which they could do as long as they just had Kato head the team...I mean, what else are they going to put him on? Another horrible iteration of the Seiken Densetsu series? I'd rather they remake CC than tank another great series...>_>

Either way, I'll be patiently awaiting World Destruction...^_^

EDIT: (Man, that's an odd phrase...)

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 09:57:09 pm »
I'd like more of an enhanced port more than anything, with features, such as better graphics, fixing unclear aspects of the game, maybe adding more character development and FMV's.
Because SE is breathing life into the series, I think Cross is worthy of a enhanced port.
Besides, Chrono Cross is a great game, but if SE just adds a little more character development and fixes up the unclearness of the plot, you'll have a much better game.
Make sense?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 10:08:25 pm »
If they refresh CC like they did with CT, it would be very awesome.

About the FF7 / CC question: Imo CC easily beats FF7 (in terms of characters, story, gameplay, graphics, and music), I never liked the FF7 setting, the graphics are too blocky (characters are just lego blocks with a head pasted on it, very bad quality for PS1. Look at CC's character models. Quite a difference.) and the characters too plain. Cloud was slightly interesting and maybe Aerith but the others didn't have any development at all. Well maybe way later on cause I never played past the part where Aerith got killed. CC on the other hand had awesome characters. Even the silent protagonist, Serge. Time and again I sat there with my mouth open wide while I learned about Serge's role as Time's Arbiter. Kid was also awesome, and almost all the characters you get through the story are awesome. Most optional characters aren't that awesome, but I always considered them just random characters to live up the environment and bring some variation in the gameplay.

Well, I don't need to explain here how awesome Cross is. Simply put, when I played FF7 I got bored quickly, and when I played Cross, I was amazed over and over. I'll never forget the first time arriving in Another World and hearing how Serge already died there. Honestly, the shock I felt... It was purely epic.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 10:39:29 pm »
...the graphics are too blocky (characters are just lego blocks with a head pasted on it, very bad quality for PS1.
To be fair, FF7 was one of the first games on the PS1 and its graphics were considered phenomenal for the time. Maybe the two years between FF7's release and CC's release gave CC the edge, graphics-wise.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 01:24:50 am »
I have to agree with Dark Serge. In terms of gameplay, Cross is the better game. I liked the feature where you could run away from all battles, save some exceptions. Cross focuses on the player's enjoyment as well as provide some difficulty. FF7 on the other hand requires time to power your characters. Some bosses are tough to beat and can frustrate the player. Cross is more enjoyable that way.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 02:09:47 am »
Anyone reading this, if you've played both Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy 7, which game do you think has the greater emotional weight on its characters?  Between the winner of those two, or heck even just toss in there Chrono Trigger, whichever comparison set helps your mental imaging.  There may be differences in genre/story telling approach, but that doesn't matter in this comparison.  Any story, in any medium, should strive to place some sort of emotional attachment to the stories characters as a means of connecting the audience to the story.
Anyone who upholds FF7 as a pinnacle of anything needs to take a long hard look at their tastes in entertainment. (Not to bash FF7; its vastly over-rated but fun, in my opinion.) It's characters are extremely cookie-cutter and cliche. Cross on the other hand is vastly more mature, it takes bit more of a subtle approach though.

Anyway, how about this: A Chrono Cross port to the PSP, with an extra post-game dungeon remake of Radical Dreamers? Or Magus thrown in? Or revealing more about Serge/Schala's future after Cross? There are so many things that could be added, and so much continuity to clear up, that I would be extremely excited if a port was announced.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:05:42 pm by art_garfunkel »

Ris

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 02:55:42 am »
I don't see a Cross port for the DS as being feasible.  The max DS cartridge size is 256MB.  Even if all the cutscenes were removed I'm not sure it could fit (Cross was two 650MB CDs), and a lot of major plot events took place during cutscenes.  The DSi might be able to use bigger cartridges though.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 03:33:51 am »
I don't see a Cross port for the DS as being feasible.  The max DS cartridge size is 256MB.  Even if all the cutscenes were removed I'm not sure it could fit (Cross was two 650MB CDs), and a lot of major plot events took place during cutscenes.  The DSi might be able to use bigger cartridges though.
I'll be probabli for PSP. Since the UMD disc is about 2 GB.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 08:16:46 am »
...the graphics are too blocky (characters are just lego blocks with a head pasted on it, very bad quality for PS1.
To be fair, FF7 was one of the first games on the PS1 and its graphics were considered phenomenal for the time. Maybe the two years between FF7's release and CC's release gave CC the edge, graphics-wise.

The FMVs were considered phenomenal, yes...the rest of the graphics were par for the course at the time it was released. And like ALL of their advertisements were FMVs, go figure...Such a ufcking tease...

Epix

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 04:08:41 pm »
Well this is only my first post here so I don't want to come off as a jerk but, isn't there a 2GB DS cartridge as well? I know they range in size from like 64 to 256 but I'm fairly sure there's a 2GB size cart as well.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 04:46:55 pm »
Well, I know nothing about the DS, but according to Wikipedia:
Quote from: Nintendo DS Media Specifications
It currently supports cards up to 2 gigabit (2048Mb or 256MB) in size (with ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat being the first DS game to use a 2 gigabit card), which is four times the amount of memory that the largest Nintendo 64 cartridge was able to store (512Mb or 64MB).

That's 2 gigabits, however.