Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 55142 times)

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:57 am »
I am currently playing Guilty Gear Accent Core +, which I got yesterday.

That game is fantastic. I've been a regular Guilty Gear player since XX. Who do you play? My main is Testament.

I'm just a casual player, I'm not big on the whole tournament/tier thing. My faves, though, are Anji, Baiken, and Ky. Howerver, Robo-Ky is just awesome enough to warrant 4th place, cause he pretty much tells it like it is. :P

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:22 am »
That's cool, I've really only played GGX (Japanese version) on DC and thought it was pretty spectacular.

Anyways, in lieu of playing NDS or even regular GBA games, a state of which I'm not entirely sure is the case, I started up a few GBC games...

Alone In the Dark: The New Nightmare - I've never played an Alone In the Dark game, but I got to sleep through most of the movie...! lol Anyways...It's fairly impressive for a GBC game, but otherwise would look like shit. It's an isometric game with a sort of top-down battle system that's as fun to try to target enemies to shoot as the oldschool GTA games...

Dragon Warrior II - It's packed with I, but I've already played all the way through the NES version of DWI and don't feel like going through it again currently...But I never completed II and this updated version is actually pretty sweet.

Dragon Warrior III - The other NES DW I wasn't able to complete, though I got right up to the end my last try...Hey! New classes! Wicked new intro! Personality system straight outta Pokemon (or maybe it was the other way around?)! I'm going with an all-girl squad this time around...Gen, the Hero main character who's personality is "Macho" (I basically answered all of the beginning questions like your average hero would I guess)...Dusk, my "Fearless" Thief (damn right better be fearless!)...Silk, my "Romantic" (how much romance is she gonna get with a group full of girls? KINKY!) Cleric...and Red, my "Alert" Mage taking up the rear. THIS is the game the ol' NES FFIII wishes it was...well, before FFIII DS came out, I guess...>_>

Megaman Xtreme - Such a stupid name that I renamed it to more closely resemble the Japanese name: Megaman X: Cyber Mission (Xtreme 2 is X2: Soul Eraser, but I haven't started that one yet)...I haven't gotten very far, just went through the first level which is amazingly the exact same as the first stage in most of this era of Megaman games, I think...at least it was the same in Zero & ZX I think...possibly X too...Anyways, nice Megaman action like always...although I guess I'm going to go into a computer and do what basically comes down to virus busting...>_>

Pokémon: Crystal Version - I started up my old save and saw that I'm just leveling for the Elite 4, I think...I might have to look around to see if there are any sidequest things I can do beforehand though (I can already Fly up to them)...

I also started a new game of DQV the other day, but I think that'll probably go right back on the backburner...the DS one being available kind of makes me sad that I'm just playing the 16-Bit version...*sigh* One of these days my computer won't suck and I'll be able to play any DS ROM I want w/o fear of slowdown! Or, y'know, maybe I'll actually get the system & games...*shrugs* Whichever comes first...lol

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:13 am »
After many years (by years I mean days), I have finally conquered the internet. And copyright laws.

VOCALOID 2: Hatsune Miku is my current game of choice. I had to go through so much shit to get it, though. But now... I have the installation disc (kill it and DIE), the program, and a crack for it. The crack hasn't been implemented. I figure that it'll make the menus in English. Or, more likely, Engrish. With this software, I'm really working my music reading skills (b is apparently flat...) as well as my patience. Why can't I just have her sing LA? It must be RA! ... fun all the same.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2009, 01:31:49 pm »

That game is fantastic. I've been a regular Guilty Gear player since XX. Who do you play? My main is Testament.

I'm just a casual player, I'm not big on the whole tournament/tier thing. My faves, though, are Anji, Baiken, and Ky. Howerver, Robo-Ky is just awesome enough to warrant 4th place, cause he pretty much tells it like it is. :P

"This is the power of machines!"

Robo-Ky is fun, but I usually just goof around with him, and see how much I can do with jD over and over again.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »
Star Ocean 4 is pretty good so far. I'll post a more elaborate review when I finish the game, but so far my only true complaints are that in an attempt to relate the plot to some of the games later in the series, it gives the feeling that they are actually recycling old storylines which takes away from the main adventure. Some of the voice acting is just horrendous as well. But the planets and landscapes are beautiful and the game itself is massive. 40 hours in and I just got to the second disc (out of three). Item Creation is refined to be way more enjoyable, and a greater emphasis on space-travel and general sci-fi-ness makes it feel unique from the previous Star Oceans.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:53 am »
Still playing FXII.  Balthier and Basch are probably the most memorable FF characters of all time, at least for me.  The game probably has some of the best voices I have heard in video games.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »
Balthier definitely is for me. FF XII just gave off such a strong feeling of Tactics / FF VI. I loved that game, although I felt it was a bit too short. I would have loved to be able to cross the Jagd into the other part of Ivalice where Tactics took place.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2009, 11:02:50 am »

I always wanted to get into the Guilty Gear series, but fighting games are so much work! I always take them too seriously. I've been playing SFIV nonstop since it came out, trying to master one or two characters. If I took on another fighting game my head would explode...although KOFXII looks tempting.

Anyway I love the graphics on Guilty Gear. Have you seen BlazBlue yet? Also looks very pretty. 

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »
I have been playing BlazBlu actually. Mostly as Ragna until console comes out and I can play more regularly. A lot of my knowledge from Guilty Gear transfers over; similar systems, and Ragna is the Sol of BlazBlu. If you liked Guilty Gear XX, you'll like BlazBlu.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »
I'm playing Red Alert 2 and The World Ends With You

RA2 is probably the manliest game I've ever played, but on that note it's also one of the funniest games I've ever played. I'm doing the Soviet Side and the cut scenes are so ridiculous and cheesy, it's GREAT. The difficulty isn't so bad, not like the latest C & C game( jeez >_>) and other than some battles taking over half an hour, it's pretty fun. There is a lot of variety in the missions, so it's not always just build up enough units to storm a base... fail, try again over and over, so I like it : ).

TWEWY is the most creative RPG I've ever played. It's really fun and the way you fight your enemies is very engaging. I have a problem where I keep running out of money and have to do a ton of battles to get more money, and also I seem to often run around aimlessly, but other than that the game is a great experience. The music is great, the characterization is well-developed, as is the plot. I'm glad I finally found this game because I guess they didn't make so many copies of it. It's really one of the DS's best.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »
How do you manage the top screen partner in The World Ends With You? I tried to do both at once; in fact, I bought the game to play it in that style.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »
Somehow, I never got Shiki's mode, though I did understand Joshua's (even though it's supposedly more difficult). If you're playing with Shiki, there are some combinations you can do to guess which symbol she needs to get a star. The 3 posibilities are: (R=right on the D pad, U=up, D=down)

RURRRRR
RDRRRRR
RRRRRRR

I'm kind of guessing how many times you tap the right arrow. You can also do the same thing for the buttons on the right side of the DS if that's more comfortable to you. Usually, I don't bother with any of that other than just taping RRRRR all the time because it's too hard to concentrate on what's going on with the top AND the bottoms screen and Neku is always more powerful. I would just suggest always eating food to boost up your sync rate and then constantly taping R.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:03 pm »
Man...I don't know like.....98% of these games.  I see something BlazBlu and someone named VERY closedly to being a "Ranga" which caught me off guard and made me laugh.  Anyway, I just started playing Earthbound again.  Damn hilarious.  This is a REAL callback to my youth, lots of stories with taht one.  And yeah I'm still playing College Hoops 2k8...don't hate...don't hate.

Ranga explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLvpzzjs-NE

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »
Playing Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES (Episode Aigis/The Answer). Also Pokémon Platinum every now and then. Kinda lost my interest in P4 after dying in the last dungeon after going down 6 floors and beating a mini-boss, only to die to a really cheap random enemy. Happens enough to get used to, but I was running sooo damn well and now I've lost a ton of great items (not to mention levels). The Answer's filling in for it till I feel like picking it up again.

How do you manage the top screen partner in The World Ends With You? I tried to do both at once; in fact, I bought the game to play it in that style.

It's generally pretty hard to handle unless you're using Joshua. I'd set it to the instant CPU control takeover option thing, and just have them jump and block a lot. Shiki's pattern is easy to manage, Josh's is ridiculous easy to build up, but Beat's makes the last stretch of the game a nightmare.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2009, 03:48:58 am »
I am currently whacking away at Sigma Star Saga. This game from WayForward Games, now better known for Contra 4 and their upcoming remake of A Boy and His Blob, saw few purchases back in the day because it got reamed by the review circuit. That said, despite the fact the game has a few rough edges - that admittedly might be called jagged - it really is a stellar well produced gem. If this game had come out in the SNES era, it probably would have been universally revered.