Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484751 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4110 on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:38 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1216451/Being-happy-stops-losing-weight.html

That kind of attitude pisses me off. The few fat people out there who haven't been beaten down by society need to be made to feel bad about themselves? For their own good?

I don't think so.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »
Wow, that is totally messed up.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:50 pm »
The Daily Mail's a right-wing rag not fit for toilet paper.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: September 28, 2009, 02:17:21 pm »
Interestingly enough, I've found that fat-bashing (and fat acceptance) are almost totally indifferent to conventional ideological divides. There's a lot to be learned from studying subjects where the points of contention are so transparent to the political spectrum.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: September 28, 2009, 02:24:43 pm »
A friend begged me to watch this...

Yeah. That's bullshit riding the name of QM to try and gain credibility. I wouldn't even bother finishing it.

Objects never actually touch each other.

Bear in mind that objects are abstracts for collections of matter, and matter is abstract for energy, so in a physical context we have to define 'touching' with regard to energies (urgh, crap like this film make me uncomfortable even using that word). The only physically meaningful definition for 'touching' between energies is 'interaction' between them in some way. Obviously energies interact; obviously things touch. Touching as we usually mean doesn't exist per se.

(Paraphrased) There's no way we'll ever describe in mathematical terms the act of observing and "collapsing the waveform".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_collapse

Interestingly enough, I've found that fat-bashing (and fat acceptance) are almost totally indifferent to conventional ideological divides. There's a lot to be learned from studying subjects where the points of contention are so transparent to the political spectrum.

Yes. I didn't mean that the article was bigoted because it was from a right-wing source. I meant that one shouldn't be caught dead reading the Mail.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:26:40 pm by MsBlack »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4115 on: September 28, 2009, 02:27:37 pm »
J gets caught alive reading it as its a daily amusement for him to look down upon the right-wing.

Or maybe its to outrage himself. I dunno why he'd do that, but he seems like the kind of person that would logify it.

*Writes down new word: Logify-To make logical sense out of something*

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: September 28, 2009, 02:51:00 pm »
I was reading that particular article because another news site linked to it. I don't read things for the purpose of upsetting myself. Indeed, once I realized that I had learned everything there was to learn about the political thinking of the right, I stopped reading their sites (like Fox News and Drudge). 'Twas a good riddance.

There's plenty to be in a tiff over without actively seeking out more.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: September 28, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »
*Writes down new word: Logify-To make logical sense out of something*

Meh, that sounds more like you are turning something into a log. 'G' is a problematic consonant as it can easily take a hard or soft sound with no well known rules for determining which. 'Logicify' would be more obvious and useful, but it sounds horrible. Perhaps 'sensify' instead?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: September 28, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »
While there are plenty of exceptions, a single G in the middle of a word will usually take a soft G sound, whereas a double G in the middle of a word will almost always take a hard G.

The biggest exception comes in the form of prefix-root words or compound words that can be easily identified as such, such as "forget," "unglued," and "overgrown."

Other exceptions, such as "regular" and "ugly" have more obscure etymological roots, but, at the very least, are less intimidating due to their status as a small minority.

The obvious alternative, I suppose, would be to do away with soft G and convert those letters into J. "Ingest" would thus become "injest," not to be mistaken with "in jest."

I'm afraid I can't muster much sympathy. As a master of the language, I appreciate its irregularity and strangeness far too much to settle for bulk simplification measures. If you try and implement them, we'll have to duel. And, unlike the movies, I get to pick the location, the weapon, and the number of seconds by which I get to go first.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: September 28, 2009, 03:27:19 pm »

If you're really interested in "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" and all that it gets wrong with quantum physics, then you've got to check this link out:

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/bleep.html

I got a laugh out of watching the movie.  If anyone else did, I totally agree.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »
Ah, Josh, in this case though, the G isn't in the middle of a word, it is at the end of a root to which a suffix has been attached, much along the lines you noted (but with a suffix instead of a prefix). Course, usually we'll add another G so that people don't start mispronouncing the vowels, but then, "logic" already ignores that "rule."

Technically, I suppose 'logiify' would work, so that logi- becomes the base to which -ify is added. But then, English generally contracts double-i's down to something else (sometimes a single i, sometimes an e, and sometimes a y), so that would be an odd duck out still.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4121 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »
Logyfy then. Logyfitry shall be the name of the science it goes with. the science of logyfying stuff.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: September 28, 2009, 04:25:44 pm »
Are you sure that wouldn't be logimetrics, logology, or logiography?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: September 28, 2009, 05:01:24 pm »

Or how about logicificate?

Come on.  It's just a word.  Let it go.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:32 pm »
i posted this in the springtime of youth, but ill post it here too.
my dog got hit by a car today.
shes currently at the vet. theyre doing what they can to make her comfortable, and theyll call if shell be able to make it through comfortably. dad said that if shes suffering he told them to just put her down. if she doesnt make it...
ill keepy ou guys posted.

i feel like i got hit by a car instead.