Author Topic: Worth getting?  (Read 3924 times)

swordandshield

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Worth getting?
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:10 am »
I know this may be a rhetorical question but is this game worth getting? I played the original for the SNES and the PS1 remake but never played the DS version yet. I only just gotten the system recently and the game crossed my mind as a "possible" must have. Are there any differences that DS has or is there only the improved graphics?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:54:35 am »
The DS doesn't really have improved graphics, though the colours are a lot brighter and easier to discern than on the SNES. What it does have is an overhauled script - closer to that Japanese script than the Woolsey translation -, a couple new dungeon side quests, a new ending, the animated cutscenes, and the monster arena. I think it is worth getting, and I enjoyed the new additions a lot, but it's really up to you.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:10:22 am »
It depends. If you're a fan of the original, I think it's worth getting. The extra shit they tacked on isn't so interesting... the monster game is kind of lame(and I used it a LOT), there is a sidequest about a reptite village(wtf?), but the dementional vortex was cool. I also liked the extra ending.

I would get it just cause it's CT and it's pretty awesome they finally re-released it. The game's cut scenes also run much faster and it's a huge improvement over the PSX version. You can also get all the official art and music unlocked... though it's not really relevant since the internet exists, it's still kinda cool.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:08:07 am »
It's worth getting simply so you show Square Enix your support for the Chrono series.  The more units bought, obviously, the more lucrative it is for the company.  Thus, the more likely they are to make another Chrono game.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:21:25 am »
It's worth getting simply so you show Square Enix your support for the Chrono series.  The more units bought, obviously, the more lucrative it is for the company.  Thus, the more likely they are to make another Chrono game.

Indeed. Plus its pretty awesome in and of itself. Say what you will, I enjoyed the new Arena.

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 02:47:45 pm »
I'd say get it. If you enjoy the new content, great. If not, it's still and awesome game that is worth replaying  :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:48:44 am »
I think the new translation (even though it's not as accurate as I'd like) and the new story content are worth it for any true Chrono fan...It also isn't clunky like the PSX version, but has all of the minor goodies it did as well...3rd time's the charm!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:49:26 am »
I love my CTDS. It makes me play Chrono a lot more often, and just think, man. Portable Chrono Trigger! Going to 7-11? It's CT time!

Going on a plane? It's CT time!

Going to a third world country? Guess what time it is!

Seriously though, it's pretty cool. I haven't touched the arena cause the concept reminds me of pokemon, and I don't want the two franchises to mix in my mind. However, the extra stuff is very cool, theres a Bestiary, movie player for all your cutscenes, music player for every song in the game, a couple different options to battle. Almost all the battle stuff is on the extra screen so you get a better view and they run more seamlessly than in the snes version. There is no lag whatsoever. That alone makes it exponentially better than the PSX version, which had a lag every time you went to the menu, or a battle, so much that it rendered it unplayable for many. The new script keeps references to things that were censored or localized, but retains the original spirit of the game, and retains the humor. If you've played the game before, the script will be very familiar, but it's still a new way of experiencing the game.

Not to mention my favorite part. The menus. Not the battle menu, I still just mash A a lot while grinding, but the store menu and the regular push X menu are on the touch screen, which makes navigating through them and getting what you need done much easier and faster so you can get back into the game quickly.

The new maps are okay... C99 did a better job on some of the CE maps, frankly. But it is a new area with new implications and new plot to be considered. I think it's worth it. I actually posed the same question, except I didn't have a DS. I bought the DS FOR the game and I do not regret it one bit!

Deezer509

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I enjoy it.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Clad - become a fan
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »
I definitely don't think it's worth getting, with the exception of what Boo said.  The new features are somewhat insulting, but oh well.  If you've only played the Playstation version then it might worth it to enjoy playing w/o load times.  Other than that, it's skippable.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:18:45 pm »
If you liked Chrono Trigger or you've never played Chrono Trigger, then the game is a must-have. It's available at Wal-Mart now for twenty dollars, there's really no excuse now not to buy it.

Stanger5150

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 11:23:18 am »
It definitely is... but I'm probably biased because I played it for the first time on the DS (except for about 10 minutes I spent wandering aimlessly in Leene Square in an emulator about a year ago).  For me, it took all the elements I hate about RPGs (random battles... enemies not on-screen till they "appear" out of nowhere, and the same battle screen being used over and over and over and over like Super Mario RPG or Final Fantasy) and makes them better.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 02:00:43 am »
It's a 20$ copy of Chrono Trigger you can take anywhere and everywhere! (That includes Funerals, work, weddings, but not boot camp.)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 02:09:44 am »
It's worth it for 3 reasons.

1.) SE likes it. We want them to make another Chrono and buying more is how we get it.
2.) It's the greatest game ever, not limited to your TV. NO LIMITS to where you may play it.
3.) When all the hotties see you with your DS and look over your shoulder to see this and not mario or pokemon they'll get curious, watch for a bit and come to the conclusion "I don't know who you are but you and me, we's hooking up".

Elly

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
it is so worth it and i love the new translation, though i'm glad they didn't change some things like the names of Ozzy, Flea, & Slash, their japanese names are just disgusting... they did however fix that horrible speach impediment that Frog/Glenn had...
i don't really know about the new content since i haven't played it much, i'm playing CT between other games and just haven't taken the time out of the main story to explore the new areas and Arena, yes i consider the "side quests" part of the main story...
of course there's the portability, being able to take it anywhere when you leave home for a day or two is always a bonus, i like taking it to my siblings houses and to my inlaws... dunno bout taking it to 7-11 though by time it's booted up and ready to play you've already paid for your Nachos and Slurpee...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:51:18 am by Elly »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:11 pm »
3.) When all the hotties see you with your DS and look over your shoulder to see this and not mario or pokemon they'll get curious, watch for a bit and come to the conclusion "I don't know who you are but you and me, we's hooking up".

This one. It does happen.  :wink: